Jump to content

RandomDesign

Members
  • Content Count

    38
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

12 Good

2 Followers

About RandomDesign

  • Rank
    Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. “The exact process of how an Altered Item is born eludes us. We find them in the aftermath of Altered World Events. They take the form of everyday objects, ever-present in our lives, constantly evoked in the thoughts of millions of people, now infused with unpredictable energies, they're altered.” Concept: For this year’s CMWS, I’m going to build such an Altered Item! I will create a mini-version of the Arctic Queen from the video game Control. In the game, Altered Items are ordinary objects infused by paranatural forces during Altered World Events. The Arctic Queen (AI10-KE)
  2. Just one more picture for scale puropse:
  3. Just wanted to add one more picture, so you can see the scale a little better.
  4. And also a video showing the making-of and the LEDs in motion.:
  5. If pictures are not enough, here is a video showing the making-of in greater detail and all of the functions and light effects.
  6. For the LED panels I still needed to build a small shroud. I simply cut some acrylic into shape and painted in in the same color as the panels itself. They were put into place just by some double sided tape. If you know the movie, you know that the WOPR has some lables all around. At first, I wanted to make a stencil and spray it on, but watching the movie again, made me realize, they just used some vinyl to make the lables. So, I went over to my vinyl cutter and made my own. And attached them already. To start the computer and LEDs later, I needed some bu
  7. Next, the panels for the cockpit were put into place. I added two more switches to the mid section. One is starting the water pump and the other switches the temperature sensor on and off. It was already visible in the upper pictures, but before I glued the panels in, I bend some acrylic tubes for the water cooling and connected the CPU to the loop. I think this is my very first mod where the drain valve is actually the lowest spot in the loop. Its right at the front and easily accessible. It will be covered with the nose part
  8. While working on the electric, I soldered another light effect. The 4 "lasers" should also shoot some light, two at each time. So the left top and right bottom and vise versa at the same time. Therefore, I made this simple circuit using two capacitors and two transistors. You will see it later in the video. I also reworked the motorization of the BB8 and switched from a servo to a Arduino controlled stepper motor. Also, more in the video ^^ Then it was finally time to work on the inside of the X-Wing. I started in the fron
  9. After adding the 5th exhaust, I reworked the other 4 also a little bit. You might remember, I installed a normal RGB LED strip in each exhaust. This maybe looks nice, but I dont have much controll over the LEDs. So, I took some of my left over APA106 LEDs from the WOPR project, which are indivudual adressable. I wanted to install 8 LEDs in each exhaust the get a nice and diffused light. All had to be connected to 104 nF capacitors first. To make them fit perfectly and ensure an even distribution of light, I printed some spacers and sol
  10. In some designs, the T-70 X-Wing has another turbine/exhaust part at the back directly in the middle. So I wanted to resemble this also. And ofc 5 exhausts look better then just 4. I designed a simple part and 3D printed it. After some sanding you could really see the final form. I found this small Cooler Master 60mm fan in a random box. I thought why not put it inside the exhaust. Looks OK so far. Then the part was painted in the same style as the other exhaust parts from the turbines. Also the fan
  11. I started with one layer of grey primer. The mod will be painted on multiple steps, area by area, so I started with the bottom sorounding. The color chosen by the client will be a light grey tone. To get the most perfect finish, I sprayed only some areas at once with an airbrush. It was directly followed with some layers of clear coat. Because Gray color on a Gray primer has a very good contrast, here is a picture were you can actually see the difference. And then the paint job was done. Next up, the doors.
  12. I 3D printed small clips were the panels should rest in. To hold them in place, I cut a tread into an aluminium profile and glued it to the inside. Now, I am just using a small bolt, washer and wing nut to prevent the panel from moving. And more pictures now from the outside. I soldered connectors to each pannel, so I can install/remove them independantly. Later each pannal should be controlled by one pin of the arduino, But for testing, I just chained them together. When in full RGB mode, the power supply is strong enought to
  13. The original WOPR has a bunch of lights. If I am not mistaken there are rougly 666 bulbs on the front and back. I tried to get the basic outline of the arrangement, but scaled it down to fit my size. The paneles were machined for me in the specific layout I wanted. Before applying the paint, I sanded the surface to make the primer stick a bit better. While the silver paint was drying. I worked on the LED part. I ordered a bunch of LEDs and transistors. For this project, I will use 533!!! LEDs. Each individual LED was pre-tested to ensure its working correctly. So far, I on
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..