Cosmos SR -X- Factor

coolmiester

Well with the new EVGA SR-X hitting the retailers, its time for a new build to coincide with the release.

My aim is to show off the ridiculously high spec of the new 2011 platform together with a couple of EVGA GTX680 Hydro Copper cards.

Due to the massive HPTX form factor, i've decided to use the Cosmos II to house it all in which can handle the size no problem and in fact looks much better in my opinion as a normal ATX board gets dwarfed in there.

So, the spec so far which will be added to as things progress and a quick look at the SR-X motherboard...

System Spec:

Cosmos II

EVGA SR-X Motherboard

Intel Xeon E5-2687W s2011 CPU’s

EVGA GTX680 Hydro Copper GPU’s

Memory – TBA

SSD’s - TBA

Coolermaster 1300w Silent Pro Hybrid PSU

sr-x_1.jpg

sr-x_2.jpg

sr-x_3.jpg

sr-x_4.jpg

sr-x_5.jpg

sr-x_6.jpg

sr-x_7.jpg

Still waiting on a few parts to arrive so decided to crack out the laser guided fret saw and make a new bezel for the reservoir complete with the EVGA X logo that will be back lit so the red edges glow.

Started by sticking some red 3mm plexi to an offcut of 1.5mm aluminium then applying the X template which is split down the middle so actually made things a little easier.

Anyway, cut both of the X bits out followed by a bit of filing and sanding the edges then moved on to a bit of 5mm gloss black plexi that will fit into the entire drive bay section of the Cosmos II – marked a rectangle and cut that out......bit more filing and sanding the edges and that’s about it really – sorry it wasn’t a bit more interesting.

Oh yeah, one of the GTX680 Hydro Copper Cards also tuned up which look really nice and just waiting on the other to arrive:)

sr-x_10.jpg

sr-x_11.jpg

sr-x_12.jpg

sr-x_13.jpg

sr-x_14.jpg

sr-x_15.jpg

sr-x_16.jpg

sr-x_17.jpg

sr-x_18.jpg

sr-x_19.jpg

sr-x_20.jpg

sr-x_21.jpg

sr-x_22.jpg

sr-x_23.jpg

sr-x_25.jpg

sr-x_26.jpg

Just quickly had to mount 4 red LEDS to the reverse side to see if the red plexi was going to glow OK and all looks well considering these were taken in day light so should look much better at events where it always tends to be darker.

sr-x_27.jpg

sr-x_28.jpg

sr-x_29.jpg

sr-x_30.jpg

sr-x_31.jpg

I've got to totally strip the case and get it ready for the painter on Monday but couldn't resist seeing what the bezel and res looked like in place.

I've also made some Aurora Red dye to match the logo which looks pretty cool and can be seen better in the Youtube video at the bottom.

Intel Xeon E5-2687W s2011 CPU's should be here Monday and hoping to go quad Sli on the Hydro Copper 680's but not sure on that just yet but with a bit of luck i might be able to get it fired up on the bench at some point next week but at least i'm well happy with the way the front end is looking.

sr-x_32.jpg

sr-x_33.jpg

sr-x_34.jpg

sr-x_35.jpg

sr-x_36.jpg

sr-x_37.jpg

sr-x_38.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Mim3zpNyI

Cheers kier, sorry i haven't got anything better to offer you and the colour is a secret :lol:

My apologies to all hoping to see a bit of a mod update but i’ve had a few teething problems with the SR-X board – nothing major but as there is very little info out there at this point it was a little trial and error which is very quite time consuming but got their in the end and just want to update the thread as it may help others in the future.

Here’s the shortened version - the week started off great with a nice package from Intel landing early Monday in the shape of a couple of retail Xeon E5 2687W CPU’s so i set about getting the system up and running on the bench, air cooled so installed a GTX295 dual PCB graphics card and managed to get a fresh install of W7 but immediately ran into problems with BSOD.

Tried as i might to get it to run stable that night, it wasn’t to be so was well happy when i woke the next morning to find a new BIOS had been released for the board but the happiness didn’t last long as once the new BIOS was flashed i wasn’t able to get a signal to the monitor.

The SR-X comes with a three way switch to load separate BIOS’s so decided to risk another and flashed the second with the new BIOS which led to the same problem.

Looking back now I’m wondering to myself why i didn’t swap the graphics card out but it really didn’t cross my mind at the time and it was only when another guy posted similar problems with a GTX690 on the EVGA forum that the penny sort of dropped.

Both of us were using dual CPU graphics cards so swapped my 295 out and replaced it with a GTX7800 (stop laughing) and BINGO, working fine and BSOD had been fixed with the new BIOS so all working champion and i can now get on to running a few benchmarks but more to the point, get on with making the case look pretty.

Sorry for the long winded post which probably doesn’t mean a lot to most but you never know who’s searching Google – full original thread here - EVGA SR-X - BIOS 013 Released

Oh the other good news was that a second EVGA GTX680 Hydro Copper arrived so couldn’t resist getting a few photo’s of that fitted to the board

Anyway, a few pictures.....

e5_2687w_3.jpg

e5_2687w_2.jpg

e5_2687w_1.jpg

stop laughing at my GTX7800 hehehehehehe

bench.jpg

hydro_copper_sli.jpg

hydro_copper_sli_1.jpg

hydro_copper_sli_2.jpg

cinebench.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well not exactly how i’d envisioned things happening but a few initial teething problems with the BIOS and a bank holiday to contend with meant the chassis painting was delayed and with Computex kicking off in two days, i decided to complete the build so at least i could grab some pictures of the fully working system and luckily all the parts that are getting painted can be easily removed in the coming week or so and paint work carried out.

I just wish i had better photographic skills as i haven’t done this thing justice because in real life it looks absolutely stunning even though i say so myself..........i honestly don’t think there is one aspect i’m unhappy with and the X logo on the front looks amazing.

Anyway, a few finished (until its painted) photos and spec....

System Spec:

Cosmos II

EVGA SR-X Motherboard

Intel Xeon E5-2687W s2011 CPU’s

EVGA GTX680 Hydro Copper GPU’s

Memory – Kingston HyperX 48GB

SSD’s - Kingston 120GB

Coolermaster 1300w Silent Pro Hybrid PSU

sr-x_100.jpg

sr-x_101.jpg

sr-x_102.jpg

sr-x_103.jpg