"Awesome Wicked" - A Watercooled CM Scout

GoodInk

First off I'm new here and thought I would introduce my self with one of my build logs. Keep in mind this build has been completed for awhile now and I pretty much copy and pasted it from another forum. Please enjoy then journey I have had with my Scout.

When I first bought this case I never thought I would take it as far as I have and I never intended to make a work log on it. So this work log won't have a lot of pics of the work being done.

Components-

CPU - Core i5 750@4.0

CPU Cooler - XSPC Rasa WB

Motherboard - Asus Maximus III Formula

RAM - 4GB OCZ Reaper 1600MHz

Video Card PowerColor 5870 LCS

Power Supply - Cooler Master 850 SilentPro

Hard Drive - 2x1TB WD Black Caviar (raid0)

Case - Cooler Master Storm Scout

Watercooling-XSPC RS240 Rasa kit plus a RX120

Current status

6-1.jpg?psid=1

6-4.jpg?psid=1

6-5.jpg?psid=1

6-6.jpg?psid=1

6-2.jpg?psid=1

6-3.jpg?psid=1

6-8.jpg?psid=1

6-9.jpg?psid=1

6-7.JPG?psid=1

Things left to do - 95% complete

clean up all the cuts

cover for the side of the 5.25" bays

new window(this one is too dark)

sleeved cables

looking in to installing a bigNG

Uncle-Sam%20-%20Copy2%20%282%29.jpg?psid=1

I first started on this build back in May 2010 at my parents house while moving from Germany to Honduras, I'm in the USAF. I bought this case because I built one for a friend of mine and really enjoyed working with it and fell in love with the looks, quality, and how quite this case seemed to be compared to my Sniper I had. I knew right off the bat that the stock window had to go.

Got to try out my Mom's EOS 50D

1-1.JPG?psid=1

1-4.JPG?psid=1

Can you tell I was going for a red & black theme?

1-2.JPG?psid=1

I thought this was going to be handy, I didn't use it once, lol.

1-3.JPG?psid=1

I was pretty proud of it, then I made the mistake of shipping it to Honduras with the USPS with out packing the inside of the case. When I picked it up from the post office and they set it on the counter it rattled :( After unpacking it and seeing the damage I thought it could be dead. It looked like it was dropped from about 6ft. The CPU cooler was trashed, the back heat sink on the V8 was bent out 2 inches and the front one was pushed in to the main heat sink, the base was bent up so the whole thing was loose and banging around so hard it made a dent in the CPU and the block of the cooler. The HHD cage was bent about in one inch and the HDD's fell out ripping the locking Sata cables out pulling the part of the HDD that the cables plug in to out, plus the HDD's made their way in to the MB area doing unknown damage to the MB and GPU's and scratching up the nice new window that I made. The front of the PSU had about a 1/2 inch gap under it from the back of the case getting bent from the drop. I had pics of the damage but I can't find them, but they didn't really show the damage too well. So I spent the next couple days bending everything back in to shape and put it back together, and to my surprise it still worked. :D

Now that I had my system back up and running it was time to start OCing. That is when I found out that my 750 was a pig. The highest I could get the OC with temps I felt safe with was 3.8. The temps were still pretty high. So I put a 140mm fan in the 5.25" bays and that helped some. So I bought the Cooler Master 3-4 bay adapter thinking I could get good temps and cool looks.

2-1.jpg?psid=1

I got the cool looks but not the cool temps. It turns out if you leave it empty the air just vortexes inside of the cage. Time for a better CPU cooler, and upgraded to a Prolimatech Megahalem. That did the trick, now my temps were nice and safe. I was hoping for 4.0 but this 750 just needs too much voltage to run that 24/7.

Mega%203.8%4023.2C.png?psid=1

4.0Ghz_79.7F.png?psid=1

My next up grades were for looks. Red 4" CCFL's, PSU and HDD covers that I bought off Enigma8750, nice work btw E.

2-2.JPG?psid=1

Awesome Wicked stayed this way for a couple months. Then I started getting board and was still wanting 4.0 on my CPU. I ran in to this watercooling kit, the XSPC 750 Rasa RS240 kit and thought WOW watercooling that I can afford. Then this guy on here going by the name of Striker36 started on a watercooling loop in his Scout. I kept thinking man I could do that, I just have to think of where I'm going to put my dvd drive, HDD's, the res/pump, and card reader. Well I got close, I got everything but the card reader. Striker kept telling me just do it, you love it. So I did, and thanks Striker now I will never own a PC that isn't watercooled again :D. On with the pics!

XSPC 750 Rasa RS240 kit

3-1.JPG?psid=1

Me crapping my pants right now

3-2.JPG?psid=1

Me not crapping my pants now that it fits

3-3.JPG?psid=1

How I solved my HDD placement problem

3-8.JPG?psid=1

A look on the inside

3-7.JPG?psid=1

OK now time for the part that I think separates my Scout from the pack. A little grill I bought from MNPC.

3-6.jpg?psid=1

What is this skute I found on the back of the front fan grill?

Skute: Adjective: one who looks part skanky but, at the same time, cute.

3-4.JPG?psid=1

We had fun with that on over at the CMSSC ;)

A cool pic I made

3-10.jpg?psid=1

Results of the kit

Stock RS240 vs Megahalems Rev.2

i5 750 running 4.0GHz(200x20)

CPUv: 1.425v

IMC/VTT: 1.2455v

CPU PLL: 1.802v

Running a Megahalems Rev.2 with two Gelid Silent 12 PWM fans @ 23°C ambient temp/ave of all 4 cores

Idle: 41°C

Max: 72.25°C

4.0%4023.jpg?psid=1

XSPC Rasa 240 kit only with stock fans running in pull, air coming from outside the case @ 23°C ambient temp/ave of all 4 cores(less than 24hrs cure time using AS5)

Idle: 35.5°C

Max: 60.5°C

4.0%4023%201.425V%20Stock%20fans%20pull.jpg?psid=1

Now that I had my CPU under water, I was still wanting more. After researching I found out that no one made waterblocks for my 5770's:( So time for a new GPU, I found a great deal on my 5870 from Power Color. It came with a EK wb and was the same price as the rest of the 5870's :eek: I knew the RS240 would not be able to handle the CPU+GPU, this is where the RX120 came in to play. I thought I might as well get a GT-15 for it to see what all the hype is about, and while I'm at it get a backplate for the 5870, NZXT LED's and black tubing. Installing this was a pain, the RX120 was a little bigger that I was expecting. I had to mount it case

My new upgrades

4-1.JPG?psid=1

The knot I made routing my tubing

4-3.JPG?psid=1

Completed

4-2.JPG?psid=1

As you can see I couldn't mount the top fan

4-5.jpg?psid=1

With the RX120 being so big it was blocking the MB heat sink and was pretty much sitting on the back panel ports heating them up. I was having problems with my back USB's just quitting on me. At first I thought my wireless stick was going out, then it was my web cam, then my keyboard started messing up. As I thought damn, how can I fix this, and came up with this. I tore everything thing out, then out came the dremel for a small cut and a little grinding. I had to grind down a spot on the side of the rad just the slightest, and make a cut on the rolled edge of the side of the case where the back rad sits. This allowed me to make room for the ran to be mounted to the case and not the fan, making more room for tubing and the top fan can be mounted properly. Now the fans over lap and the top fan can blow cool air down the side of the rad and cool the components. While I was at it I cut the mesh out of the top fan.

The area not getting air

5-2.JPG?psid=1

Amazing on how much that mesh restricts air flow

5-3.JPG?psid=1

BTW I liked my GT-15 so much I bought more.

5-1.jpg?psid=1

Now I only installed 4 GT-15's and keeping the rest for my next build. Over in the CMSSC Rocker69 had a contest for the Most Beautiful Scout Contest and won:eek: There are a lot of very nice Scouts over there. So I'll be getting a new window soon as this on is too dark now that I switched to LED's.

Attention!!!

Most Beautiful Scout Contest Winners

I'd like to thank all the participants of my contest and General Enigma for helping me judge the excellent entries. It was tough.

The criteria we used to judge these fine builds were;

First, innovative thought behind the layout of the intenal and external mods.

Second, and to me, the most important: cleanliness of the build. How the wiring looks, how the color scheme complements the hardware, etc...

Third, the photos and how they compliment or show off the build.

So with that in mind and without any more delay the winners are:

1st place - GoodInk's Wicked Awesome Build

http://www.overclock.net/12554256-post18664.html

2nd place - General kev_b's silent but deadly

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae85/jsongyver/kev_bentry.jpg

3rd place - General Rogue1266's RogueSpear

http://www.overclock.net/picture.php?albumid=2465&pictureid=14814

All three of these builds exemplified what a beautiful design is. Congratulations to the winners. PM me with full shipping addresses and I'll get the shipping estimates out to guys for your prizes.

Well here is the case as it sits now.

6-1.jpg?psid=1

6-4.jpg?psid=1

6-5.jpg?psid=1

6-6.jpg?psid=1

6-2.jpg?psid=1

6-3.jpg?psid=1

6-8.jpg?psid=1

6-9.jpg?psid=1

6-7.JPG?psid=1

Archived