Cosmos Cruizer - Finally Complete!

Boddaker

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been doing a lot of little piddly things over the last week, including some wiring, more sanding, radiator tab mounting, and remaking the rear IO panel trim piece. Yep, once again I have to re-do something I already did.  This time, due to spacial concerns, I had to revise the port positioning, which meant cutting a whole new trim piece.  :x

But enough of that, let's show something I did get accomplished...

I posted earlier about the SSD mounting system I came up with...
SSDmount1_sm.jpg

SSDmount2_sm.jpg

Here is the bracketry that will hold the mount to the fiberglass panel.  I'm using flush-mount alan socket screws from the other side that screw into the threaded brackets.
SSDmount5_sm.jpg

I sanded down the mounting piece, as it will be painted to match the case.
SSDmount6_sm.jpg

The SSD drives are fastened on utilizing their top-face mounting holes.
SSDmount7_sm.jpg

SSDmount8_sm.jpg

A look from underneath shows the mounting screws for the SSD's.
SSDmount9_sm.jpg

The whole mounting assembly is screwed to the brackets via two flush mount screws on each side.
SSDmount10_sm.jpg

SSDmount11_sm.jpg

The cutout lettering in the center will have a UV orange backing, and it will be lit from inside.

Now back to the cabling debacle...

• 2 weeks later...

Getting all the cable routing sorted.  I ran into an issue involving the cables from the power supply and the IO port cables.  It seems they both want to occupy the same space.  Of course I brought this on myself back when I relocated the power supply and mounted it vertically, then positioned the IO port where I thought it looked the best on the back panel, which just happened to be directly above the PSU.  So now I get to figure out a way to make it work, while still looking decent.

Well, first thing I did was simplify the IO port.  There were just too many things to deal with.  Of course, removing things that had corresponding holes in the IO plate meant that I had to make another one with less holes.  I'll show a before/after shot of the face plates later.

One of the things I omitted from the IO plate was the psu's power plug.  It has a lot of wiring and electrical do-dads stuck to it that I just don't have room for.  So I re-relocated it...

The power plug should be as low as possible on the back of the case anyway, so I found a suitable spot to flush-mount it into the back of the side panel.
Powerplug1_sm.jpg

After tracing the plug onto the panel, I cut it out and worked the edges until the plug fit nice and snug.
Powerplug2_sm.jpg

Then I cut a corresponding hole in the frame so all the attachments clear.
Powerplug3_sm.jpg

Now there's room for everything.  And I can easily mount the grounding wire to the frame.
Powerplug4_sm.jpg

Fast forward past all the gluing, drying, bondoing, sanding, and priming...
Powerplug5_sm.jpg

Powerplug6_sm.jpg

Powerplug7_sm.jpg

Next up I'll show the rest of the IO cabling and the simplified plate.

THanks cota472!

Not much progress over the Easter weekend since I was out of town, but here are a few pics of the cabling and new IO plate...

I got these short USB 3.0 extension cables to run from the motherboard to the back panel.  But one end must be modified into an angled plug.
USB1_sm.jpg

So the rubber casing was stripped away, exposing the wax underneath...
USB2_sm.jpg

using my heat gun, the wax is easily melted, and becomes clear.
USB3_sm.jpg

Then I just scraped most of it off the wiring so I could bend the USB port over creating my angle plug.
USB4_sm.jpg

I proceeded to apply the same treatment to the other 3 USB cables, as well as two HDMI cables, and hot-glued them into place behind the back panel.  Here you can also see the two DVI cables which were stripped of their gigantic white casings, and the back of the PSU power switch (top left) with extended wiring.  Also hidden behind the usb cables is the ethernet adapter.  I know this doesn't look pretty, but it will be all covered up in the end. :)
USB5_sm.jpg

And here is what hopefully will be the final IO plate.
IOplate8_sm.jpg

What the heck is going on here??  SSD watercooling?
SSDmount12_sm.jpg

Are you going to overclock your SSD's as well?  B)

lol

I'm actually using these fittings and 1/4" hard tubing to hide the wiring coming from the psu.  This will be shown in more detail in the next update.  :)

Thanks Exe!

Made some good headway on the PSU wiring yesterday.  This being an automotive/hotrod theme, I couldn't just do normal sleeving and be ok with it.  I had to go with the theme and run simulated brake lines from the PSU for all 12v accessories and motherboard power.

Using the same technique as I did with the 1/2" stainless tubing, I made templates out of soldering wire and bent the 1/4" aluminum tubing to match.  These runs will carry the SATA power cables to the SSD's.  
Wiring2_sm.jpg

I employed 90° compression fittings to transition from the tubing into the SSD mount.
Wiring1_sm.jpg

On the other end, the tubes simply fit into the PSU cover where the cables plug in.  The next set of tubes will provide power for the fan controller and LCD screen on the front bezel.  The tubes drop down to the floor where the wires will continue hidden underneath to the front.
Wiring3_sm.jpg

This pair runs power to the led strips that will run around the inside of the frame.
Wiring4_sm.jpg

These tubes are for the dual 8pin CPU power cables.  Each tube will carry 4 wires, hence the need for the slightly larger 5/16" tubing.  Again, 90° compression fittings are used to bring the cables through the fiberglass panel to the motherboard.
Wiring5_sm.jpg

Here's an overall shot of the PSU cover with all brake line tubing installed.  The open holes on the right are extras.  I was going to do one more set for the pumps, but they are so close to the PSU, I will just run the wires under the floor.
Wiring6_sm.jpg

Next up is the main ATX 24pin and PCI-E cables.  But these won't be run in aluminum tubing, nor will they be sleeved.  To give you a clue, hotrods typically have 8 cylinder engines in them, and you can see there are 8 large holes in the PSU cover...   :wink:

More odds and ends accomplished over the weekend.  Some progress on the wiring, getting the spark plug wire look for the 24pin ATX and the PCI-e cables...

I threaded six wires through each 10mm UV orange hose and added spark plug boots to the ends.  Straight boots for the PSU end...
Wiring7_sm.jpg

...and angle boots for the other end.
Wiring8_sm.jpg

Here's a shot of the wires pulled through the panel.  Connectors will be added during final assembly.  And I'll have some chrome eyelets installed to finish off the holes.  
Wiring9_sm.jpg

Will add the other four spark plug wires tonight.

Archived