Cooler Master 2012 Case & Cooler Mod Contest Begins NOW!!!

CM Ray

-Last night (9-29-12), after adding some stuff to my work-in-progress case mod, I saw this thread with over 3000 hits and thought,†WOW, that must be quite a project â€. I went in and realized that this was some sort of forum for people, I guess mostly competitors, to air doubts/critiques/comments. The issue at hand that day, as I understood it to be, was the potential conflict with the rules and the propriety of competitors having the work done on their mods rather than doing it themselves and/or their being sponsored, which presumably entails having above average support in resources (money/advice/tooling?). “What should I be expecting?†Some of you may cynically say. Yes, I lived long enough to have seen how the original soap box derby competition was corrupted to the point where the only thing that some kids do is to drive it and tighten a screw so the rules are complied with and to have seen the rules grow lax, too. I have had children so -I also know that when their school projects competed, they were competing against a lot of projects mostly done by the kids’ parents. Anyway, after giving it some thought, I felt that the issue deserved comment.

-As I stated under my project, I am a newbie at this but, I am probably older than the majority of the competitors. I entered this competition thinking that I would pit my skills against others. I saw some of the work being done and was awed by it. Still, I went ahead even though I knew that, in what I thought to be a “mano-a-mano†contest, I had no chance of winning but, the way I saw it, it would help stimulate my mind and manual dexterity and give me some measure of pride in that I’d done a decent job in what I had set to accomplish.

-On one hand, I think about a sculpture competition where some are themselves going at it with a hammer and chisel while other competitors are delegating the sculpting of their “masterpiece†to others. Is that fair? And let’s complicate the issue, in this modern age there may be a computer driven machine that would sculpt based on a design. Does it make a difference if the competitor owns the machine, in which case he is technically doing the work him/herself?

-On the other hand, what if you come up with a fantastic design, a design that could win, but cannot built it yourself because of physical disability and/or a complete lack of manual/mechanical talent and/or even laziness? Should your concept not be able to compete?

-While trying to avoid joining the cynical crowd, I do not want to miss seeing the work being done by those who “contract outâ€. Really, some of that work is just amazing. One thing that occurs to me to address the fairness, moral and ethical conflict is that different subdivisions be created for each CM category. One subdivision would be for the DIY that does the design, cutting, drilling, painting, etc. him/herself; the other would be for those who do the design and have part of the work or all of the work done by others. Just saying. . .

Good feedback! I think that a person who farms out the whole build may be what they are referring to but who knows. I believe its your mod if u came up with the design and composed your emails to get the help from a sponsor. That alone is not an easy task to get the parts sponsored. IMHO

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone gotten any answers to these issues yet?

On another note, how many of you have gotten a personal email from cooler master for the build who you can email the details later to????? I just read the rules and haven't gotten any emails except the official registration confirmation... Freaking out a bit

• 1 month later...
How does the scoring work. How much does the public vote actually count? In my opinion it should not have too much weight because just because a person has alot of friends (votes) doeent mean the project is better than the rest.

Cut & pasted from the rules...

Winners are selected based on:

30%: Public votes

70%: Ratings from Cooler Master appointed judges and based on the following criteria:

Complexity of Mod

Design

Overall Look

Innovativeness

Archived