Project: Black and White

Dobrinhrkr

I had some free time, so I decided to make the cables connecting the motherboard to the turn on and restart buttons.

This is the result:

scaled.php?server=9&filename=img5171r.jpg&res=landing

scaled.php?server=521&filename=img5173g.jpg&res=landing

And assembled:

scaled.php?server=801&filename=img5178n.jpg&res=landing

When I come to the final assembling, I will put heatshrink on the buttons and finish them.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During the last few days I had some time to work on the project and this time I worked on the top most part (the fourth one) and I even had time to fix it to the rest.

scaled.php?server=864&filename=img5218f.jpg&res=landing

This time I decided not to bore you with detailed information because the process is the same, so I am just going to show you some key moments from the construction of the fourth part, which will cover the motherboard.

scaled.php?server=694&filename=img5223a.jpg&res=landing

Of course we have aluminum plates here too.

scaled.php?server=834&filename=img5234c.jpg&res=landing

Again, I needed some stainless steel tubes and bolts.

scaled.php?server=59&filename=img5242n.jpg&res=landing

And this is what all parts together look like.

scaled.php?server=832&filename=img5238w.jpg&res=landing

scaled.php?server=811&filename=img5245a.jpg&res=landing

I am not sure if I like the top part.

What do you think? Should I keep it like this or try to make it more aggresive?

Best Regards

After a few weeks’ wait, the motherboard kindly given to me by the Elitegroup colleagues finally arrived! I had planned to use the Elitegroup CDC-TI at the beginning but I assume it is not yet available, so Elitegroup sent me a CDC-I. The two boards have completely different structures; however I will accept this as a challenge and am going to use this one.

scaled.php?server=406&filename=img5277o.jpg&res=landing

The motherboard itself looks like this:

scaled.php?server=850&filename=img5279zc.jpg&res=landing

The first model I had chosen was powered directly by an adaptor but this one uses power supply, so I decided to use PICO PSU

This is the mod with mounted motherboard. Of course, this is just done for the test.

scaled.php?server=690&filename=img5285ot.jpg&res=landing

scaled.php?server=502&filename=img5287a.jpg&res=landing

scaled.php?server=39&filename=img5295u.jpg&res=landing

I really want to thank all of the sponsors I have so far:

logo_400.gif

82_revoltec_logo.jpg

CoolerMaster-Banner.jpg

I had a free day and the chance to go back to my hometown and use the workshop and I’ve decided to work on finishing the last part of the mod and install the motherboard and the cooling fan.

scaled.php?server=210&filename=img5397qo.jpg&res=landing

The workday started with disassembling the last part and install the 6 leds strip inside the acrylic. This time I had a machine to do the channel for the leds strip, the cable and the connector.

scaled.php?server=839&filename=img5399r.jpg&res=landing

After 5 mins of cutting the part was ready and I started to do some measuring to install the fan. After more than hour and a half I had all holes drilled on both of the aluminium plates and later on the plexi part. First the holes were smaller but later I’ve decide to make them bigger so there are no bad noises.

scaled.php?server=62&filename=img5401b.jpg&res=landing

scaled.php?server=201&filename=img5407d.jpg&res=landing

And here is the moment when I found that the motherboard that Elitegroup sent me(made a mistake and sent me ECS CDC-I instead of CDC-TI) will give me some troubles. And unfortunately they popped up. After I installed the motherboard on the standoffs I saw that the pico PSU will stand just in front of the case. Except that there was no space to install the Cooler Master Excalibur fan which was sponsored by Cooler Master. For that reason I had to rebuild the mod and find a suitable position for the motherboard and for the fan. That took me some hours but I was able to see the result after I got back at home and the result was:

scaled.php?server=801&filename=img5413q.jpg&res=landing

And all parts assembled:

scaled.php?server=688&filename=img5414t.jpg&res=landing

scaled.php?server=694&filename=img5419ef.jpg&res=landing

After all was assembled I was so eager to find out how the lights will work:

scaled.php?server=204&filename=img5423lv.jpg&res=landing

scaled.php?server=109&filename=img5425ql.jpg&res=landing

scaled.php?server=338&filename=img5428qi.jpg&res=landing

After all parts were together I realised I have a working machine, yes still no hard drive but I could see it working. And this is the first movie of Project Black and White working:

I spent my summer vacation in my home town and a few days at the workshop. There I’ve decided to totally rebuild the top level and finish some more things that I’d planned to do before.

Because the building process is absolutely the same I will skip the details and I will show directly the re-manufactured top part.

scaled.php?server=684&filename=img5631kw.jpg&res=landing

After I removed the old part and made this one I noticed that there is one spare hole on the third level and I’ve decided to make it bigger and install the Pico PSU connector for the power adapter.

scaled.php?server=801&filename=img5634l.jpg&res=landing

All of that was done just the first day of my vacation. The next days, things got even more interesting.

After all parts were finally together I had to install the hdd/ssd bracket, arrange the cables and make the holes for the fan cooling the motherboard.

So, let’s get started:

scaled.php?server=338&filename=img5638d.jpg&res=landing

First thing to do was to disassemble the whole build and install the hdd/ssd bracket.

Apart from that I still don’t have ssd and memory I got an ssd bracket used to attach a 2,5″ ssd to 3.5″ slot. To be able to attach it to the motherboard I had to drill some holes.

scaled.php?server=507&filename=img5639z.jpg&res=landing

Mounted

scaled.php?server=138&filename=img5643ks.jpg&res=landing

Next thing to do was to install a 2,5″ HDD which I use just to make my plans and install the cables:

scaled.php?server=3&filename=img5647y.jpg&res=landing

scaled.php?server=651&filename=img5649l.jpg&res=landing

OK, I went to work on the mod but I forgot to pick up some mainboard screws so I had to improvise . My bad!

The cables are installed on the first part and later I will have to sleeve them too. Now it’s time to make holes on the second plate and attach the cables to the motherboard.

scaled.php?server=215&filename=img5651l.jpg&res=landing

scaled.php?server=823&filename=img5655r.jpg&res=landing

Some of the cables attached to the motherboard.

scaled.php?server=812&filename=img5657t.jpg&res=landing

After that I had to assemble all of the parts together and the build looked like that:

scaled.php?server=717&filename=img5662ht.jpg&res=landing

This is for now, more updates on the way.

Next stage of the worklog is to make channels inside the plexi and on the aluminium plates so the fan can “breatheâ€.

scaled.php?server=526&filename=img5680ct.jpg&res=landing

If you look closely you will notice that the channels on the top and the bottom aluminium plates are with different size. That’s made on purpose.

scaled.php?server=855&filename=img5684w.jpg&res=landing

So, after all the details were finished it was time to check how all things looks together.

scaled.php?server=208&filename=img5690y.jpg&res=landing

scaled.php?server=217&filename=img5691n.jpg&res=landing

The thing I saw made me think that I will have to upgrade the lights because all those holes make the light unstable.

This is for now, more updates on the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived