Front3.jpg

Side1.jpg

Ledson1.jpg

Ledson2.jpg

Rear1.jpg

Ace_finlandtestbenchv2.jpg

Case alone in the dark

test2.jpg

My name is Alexander and I am from Finland. Not a long time computer modder but have always fixed and made stuff for myself. Thought I would enter this year in this awesome contest. I was first gonna go with the scratch case competition but after finding this case on a Finnish website I changed my mind. I didn't want to mod a normal case, so when I found this i knew this was the way to go.

The plan:

- To make a stylish test bench

- Needs to be somewhat practical, after all its still a test bench :)

- Water-cooled

- Some new ideas i haven't seen before (not gonna tell you before i see if it works :shock: )

This arrived today, very excited...

file.php?mode=view&id=3838&sid=932667f21b5c9576851602e16a02ad38

The build quality is great, such a shame its gonna get cut to pieces :D

file.php?mode=view&id=3833&sid=932667f21b5c9576851602e16a02ad38

Couldn't help myself, had to mount a motherboard on it so i could check the size :) It's not the motherboard that will be in the final build...

file.php?mode=view&id=3834&sid=932667f21b5c9576851602e16a02ad38

This is one of the sketches I'm working on, keep in mind that its probably around 30% done. Still missing A LOT but i got far enough that i know what motherboard to buy. (which should arrive tomorrow)

file.php?mode=view&id=3835&sid=932667f21b5c9576851602e16a02ad38

Hope you liked it!

Ps. Anyone know how not to show attachments? A bit weird with first pictures and then attachments that are the same size :)

A lot are old stuff from a previous build and some stuff are new

PARTS:

Coolermaster test bench

Intel 3570K

Asus Maximus GENE-V

Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 1600MHz

128gb OCZ Vertez 2 SSD

Corsair AX850 PSU

2 X Gainward GTX570

2 x Lamptron FC5 V2

4 x Schyte Gentle Typhoon

A lot of leds

Watercooling:

2 x EK-FC5X0 GTX GW Backplate - Black

2 x EK-RES X3 150

2 x EK-DDC X-TOP CSQ - Acetal

2 x EK-CoolStream RAD XT (240)

1 x EK-MOSFET ASUS M5G - Acetal + Nickel

1 x EK Supremacy cpu block

1 x EK Dual parallell sli block

2 x laing ddc pumps

A lot of EK fittings

Mayhem's Aurora tharsis red

Parts.jpg

post-90080-13880424492895_thumb.jpg

post-90080-13880424494328_thumb.jpg

post-90080-13880424495348_thumb.jpg

post-90080-13880424496877_thumb.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Alexander,

The test bench mod sounds different; may I ask whether you intend to modify the test bench chassis away from its stock form?

Understand that you want to keep your idea’s under wraps at the moment, but it would be very nice to see the test bench itself modded in some kind of way, then it would truly set it apart from the rest out there:-)

Noted some of your photos have not appeared, hope you can rectify these so we can all see what’s going on.

Subbed to this mod

Hi Alexander,

The test bench mod sounds different; may I ask whether you intend to modify the test bench chassis away from its stock form?

Understand that you want to keep your idea’s under wraps at the moment, but it would be very nice to see the test bench itself modded in some kind of way, then it would truly set it apart from the rest out there:-)

Noted some of your photos have not appeared, hope you can rectify these so we can all see what’s going on.

Subbed to this mod

Hello, yes the test bench will be modded and i will extend it and make a few other mods to it, i can see all the pictures, also tried on 3g and still could see them so not sure where the problems are. Can others see them?

• 1 month later...

Finally got a design i was happy with. A lot has changed and i probably have spent 100hrs on the design and making things fit (3D) before starting to fabricate.

So this is the design I'm gonna stick with for now unless i change my mind for a 100th time :D

Final1.jpg

Its not the latest version but rendering takes too long so this will have to do. It won't be as glossy as the picture and if i have time I will make some custom gpu backplates and do something to the new Dominator platinum memory i have just gotten.

Also started fabricating the radiator boxes today.

Started with some kinda straight pieces of 1mm metal sheet. Decided on 1mm thickness to add some stability and still easy to fabricate

Photo2012-10-10165707.jpg

The machine

Photo2012-10-10165711.jpg

Bent a small test piece to figure out the radius and the measurement, also to get all the angles right.

Photo2012-10-10173721.jpg

Made four pieces so i can mess up two, easier to make extra now than going back to make two new ones :)

Photo2012-10-10184556.jpg

Quick test fit to see how its gonna look

DSC_0565.jpg

DSC_0567.jpg

Also the parts that arrived :)

DSC_0568.jpg

Hope you like it and please comment, more comming soon!

Back after a lot of hrs in the garage and at the workshop at work. Not much of an update when it's full of fail but thought i would share anyways.

Plan A

Cut a template of the size i wanted

1_zpsec2a1e22.jpg

Mark the piece to be cut

2_zps37e3dd85.jpg

Working with my best friend :) (angle grinder)

4_zps0f736c06.jpg

After a lot of filing.

5_zpsbaf059c4.jpg

55_zps6cf96fd8.jpg

After this i realised cutting the next 3 slots in the metal will make it very thin and will flex and bend a lot. And the plan is to powder coat it after i'm done with it so i can't use any filler. so over to...

Plan B

Decided to get all the cuts before bending. Don't mind the tolerances, just forgot to adjust the digits

CMleftsidepdf-AdobeReader15102012104011_zpse7d971b5.jpg

Make a "table" for the mill at work.

6_zps6db690a4.jpg

Used doubble sided sticky tape between the table and the metal sheets to prevent the pieces to vibrate during milling.

7_zps7077ffc8.jpg

Fastened the sheets with screws in as many places as possible, i did not want the sheet to move during milling.

8_zps25cbdc0c.jpg

Let the milling begin. Still a Manual mill so need to be very focused :)

88_zpsf6aac994.jpg

More fasteners used as it progressed.

9_zpsafcdce09.jpg

Almost done, still need to deburr all the edges and as you can see in the red circle i made a bit of a mess. I had just finished that slot and turned the mill off without turning off the feed. So when i turned the mill on it went like a bat out of.... :( Words can not describe the feeling when that happened. I had spent 6 hrs milling just to do a simple mistake. Anyways, gonna weld it back and see if i can file it down. Wouldn't be a problem if i could use filler.

Photo2012-10-14190142_zpsff12290d.jpg

More updates coming tuesday-wednesday if i get the metal bent into shape.

Ace_finland

Back again :)

welded and grinded down the mess i did the other day :)

Got the sheets bent today but now i don't know if i should go with the circular mesh or the hexx mesh. The hexx mesh is made out of 1mm aluminum and the circular mesh is made out of steel sheet which would make the whole construction a lot more stable. What do you think?

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

Circular or hexx???

B3.jpg

Thanks for dropping in!

Archived