Test bench V2 by Ace_finland [CM test bench] - FINISHED

Alexander Hede

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Fifas!

Got a bit distracted from building the actual bench the last two days but i did some experiments.

The Hex mesh has very little surface and stability to it. I want something that "glues" them together which will hold it in place but still fairly easy to remove. I tried with double sided sticky tape which almost held it in place but as soon as you apply pressure to it it instantly came loose. That got me thinking...

As you can see the surface of the mesh is not much.

C1.jpg

taped the holes that i did not want to be covered, used Teflon tape on the steel sheet so nothing would stick to it

C2.jpg

Filled the holes with 2 component epoxy, and let the glue harden. Not the best finish but keep in mind this is just a test not a final mod :)

C3.jpg

C4.jpg

Now there is a lot more surface for the double sided tape to adhere to and it works perfectly!

Found another mesh today but not really liking it

110.jpg

I have decided I'm going to paint all the different meshes black and re post the pictures. I might change my mind once they are all black.

Also tried some powder coating last night

This is satin black. Two problems with this color, fingerprints sticks instantly, and it looks kinda cheap

C6.jpg

Gun metal gray. Had to try, not gonna paint it like this though

C5.jpg

This is the surface finish of the original cooler master case. I'm really liking this surface finish so i'm gonna order some textured powder coating black and give it a try.

C7.jpg

Gonna order this color and give it a go!

C8.jpg

That's all for it now, but my gf is going to a wedding and will be gone all weekend so a lot will probably happen :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

got a lot done the last week so thought i would post a few pictures

First of all I'll show you something great when working with metal sheets. I have not seen many use these and i don't know why. They are quite handy when you don't want to weld and will help a lot in hard to reach places, when you don't have to use a regular nut. It's rivet nuts :)

Works like a normal rivet.

rivet1.jpg

Modified a normal rivet gun buy cutting the head of a M4 bolt and jamming it in the rivet gun. Added a few washers to prevent the rivet from entering the gun

rivet2.jpg

Screw the nut on the thread

Ribet3.jpg

All done

Ribet4.jpg

In the end I just got a rivet gun made for the rivet nuts which made it a lot easier.

rivet5.jpg

Back to the case.

Made some acrylic for the case. Had to countersink the acrylic in order to get it flush against the case

D2.jpg

Mounted. It's clear acrylic but it has a green protective sheet on it.

D1.jpg

Spot welded some ends on the radiator holders and mounted it all together

d3.jpg

Removed the green protective plastic. Still needs to be sanded to get a matte finish so the red leds will spread the light better.

D4.jpg

Drilled the front acrylic plate. Still need to remove a lot of acrylic in the middle

D5.jpg

Drilled holes in the aluminum after i knew the acrylic would fit.

d6.jpg

Test fit

D7.jpg

During the test fit i marked around the edges with a knife so i could get a rough template.

D8.jpg

As you can see its a bit rough :) Will still do some more welding on the case and when that is all done i will grind down the front and back plate and sand it smooth. But you can see its starting to look as the rendering :)

D9.jpg

more updates coming soon

back as promised :)

Almost forgot to update, have another project that I've been working on for the last 5 months. Can anyone guess what it is? Just got the "table back from a workshop that leveled it for me. So now i just need to get it assembled and it should be good to go if I just can figure out how to use it :D

cnc.jpg

Back on topic

Started sanding the edges, tried a lot of different machines and files before getting the result i wanted. Still need to straighten up the edges but wanted to mill the fan controllers first in case i make a mistake and need to redo it. Front1.jpg

Front2.jpg

Milled away a bit of material to get the psu as close as possible to the back of the case to make as much room as possible inside the case

Backplate.jpg

Started disassembling the new lamptron's

Lamp1.jpg

Very easy to take apart

Lamp2.jpg

In the preview yday you saw the milling so no need to post more pics of that, the controller fitted!

Lamp3.jpg

Had to power it up :)

Lamp4.jpg

Lamp5.jpg

After looking for leds for the acrylic and realizing buying "computer leds" are way too expensive i started looking for other options. Found this through a company in Finland. I don't know the price but it should be less than 50€ for 5m of leds. These are 15,6W/m so should be plenty of lumens :)

Led1.jpg

The Leds can be cut every three leds and cables can be soldered on straight on the copper tabs, 8mm wide and 2,5mm high. The best thing with them is if you have a 2cm led strip or a 5m led strip all you need is 12V.

Led2.jpg

Led3.jpg

Also have milled the front acrylic, milled a 3mm gap to place the leds in, a nice tight fit.

acrylic1.jpg

From the top

acrylic2.jpg

Full 12V, probably need to run them on 8V, otherwise with 2m's of leds it will look like a nuclear power plant :D

Acrylic3.jpg

As low as it goes.

Acrylic4.jpg

Still need to sand the acrylic edges to make it more smooth and spread the light even better, but it's a good start.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to get good photos when photoing the acrylic? They are super red but turns kinda orange in the pictures

Think that's it for now

• 2 weeks later...

Been quite busy the last few days having time off work in order to be able to finish the mod for the competition.

Started with some motherboard raisers, was gonna machine them in aluminum but then i found this nice red Ø20mm plastic bar. Not the right red but they won't be seen after its installed and it's so easy to machine in plastic.

First i machined them to the right diameter

F1.jpg

Drill and tap

F2.jpg

All done!

F3.jpg

Test fitted the pumps and the rads to check for clearance issues

F4.jpg

This looks a bit weird, but its in the middle of the case. Had to cut some space for the cables from the psu, this should be enough.

F5.jpg

All sanded and ready to get glass blasted

F6.jpg

Glass blasted and ready to be powdercoated

F7.jpg

It looks a bit uneven but its smudges from me fingering it, i didn't see it but it shows up in the photos, will clean it off before the final shots!

F8.jpg

Radiator box, or whatever you would call it

F9.jpg

Rear side of the same part

F10.jpg

Almost assembled

F11.jpg

And some final shots of the case itself, I really like the way it looks and glass blasting the acrylic made a really matte finish which hopefully will hide the single leds and give an even light throughout the acrylic.

F12.jpg

F13.jpg

F14.jpg

F15.jpg

Still need to cut slots in some of the acrylic to be able to install all the leds.

Also need to make something to hold the GPU's in place, i know what i want now so I just have to fabricate it.

Stay tuned for more updates

Archived