CoolerMaster CSX mod (Case Mod)

maestro0428

Hello,

My name is Jason Schrader and this is my entry for the 2012 Mod competition. I am an art teacher and I also own/operate JAllen Labs. I am from the midwest USA. I have been building/modding computers for about ten years. This machine is intended for Folding@home which I have been participating in for about 8 years. It will fold on both smp and gpu. It was time for me to update one of my folidng rigs. For this mod I decided against painting the outside and going for something that's already painted. I was looking for a CSX case on eBay for about a year. Some came and went and then I found exactly what I was looking for...a Cooler Master CSX Flaming Skulls number 47 out of 400. Its brand new although it has some very small scuffs and scratches that can be buffed out. Here is a sneak peek at the front of the case.

IMG_0922.jpg

Here is a list of specs now that I have ordered all of the parts...

Phenom II 965BE

ASRock Deluxe 4

Adata Extreme 8GB

EVGA GTX460 Superclocked

Rosewill PCIE wifi adapter

OCZ Fatal1ty 400w psu and FSP 450w supplemental psu

CoolerMaster Gemini II heatsink

CoolerMaster CSX Stacker

Apevia 120mm fans

Really, I rarely see the cases out in the wild. I feel really lucky to have found one on eBay for CHEAP. Anyway, I have been working on it for a while now, I just haven't found time to post yet. Lets get this ball rollin!

KGrHqNHJ0EPJsrzDsBQJHk5JyCg60_12.jpg

T2eC16NHJHwE9n8igGSBQJHl551T60_12.jpg

Since I haven't done this for a while, this is a test to see if the images work. Its also a view of the case. Its so impressive as the finish is second to none.

-maestro

I began with the hard drive cage. I removed the metal mesh pieces and added a 120mm red Apevia LED fan with some rubber fan attachments (the included pins would not fit the new fans). I also had my Fatal1ty motherboard fail during this time (it had been folding for a year or more 24/7). Nothing to do but sell off my Core2Duo, the memory, video cards and use a motherboard/cpu/memory I already had. It was also a great time to upgrade the gpu to a 460gtx which I will get to a bit later. In went a (not red) ASRock 970fx, a 965be and 8GB or memory (also not red, damn!).

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

Next up I added an image of the fire skull to the hard disk. I installed Windows 8 preview and folding@home on that disk. I put in a second disk that had my previous image of Windows 7 (that hard disk eventually took a dump too). For cables I used some sata cables from a Powermac G5.

IMG_0831-1.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

The graphics card temperatures were quite high and I needed to get them down to a usable level (they were 80 C). To start I removed the heatsink and cleaned up the card. Next I replaced the tim with Arctic Silver 5. Now temps are around 74 C after the tim set itself for a few days at 100% load.

IMG_0994_zpse08937e6.jpg

IMG_0993_zps86124d7f.jpg

Archived