CoolerMaster CSX mod (Case Mod)

maestro0428

Its 4:36 in the morning! Making time like I said I would right? Okay here we go. I blocked off the bottom holes from removing the grille and the back of the optical drive bays with black foam core. Sure I could use aluminum, but this is cheaper, easier to cut and even lighter. It looks good too. I did add an aluminum angle bar to the edge to make it look at home though. Clean look. Anyway, here are three pics of that work and one pic of the little fan I got to cool the mosfets.

IMG_1025_zps107f339d.jpg

IMG_1023_zps1045c4c1.jpg

IMG_1027_zps725778f1.jpg

Ah, you're right I am missing the photo from the bottom area. Later I guess.

• 1 month later...

I just purchased the new CoolerMaster Seidon 120M water cooler. I needed to cool my cpu down as I am folding@home on the cpu as well as the gpu 24/7 and the other cooler just couldn't keep up. When I got it all assembled, it didn't fit?! The AM3 socket cpu hold down screws were too short and the springs were too stiff. I looked at it a million ways and came to the same conclusion every time. It just didn't fit the socket I had. Of course, that may be a set back, but I wasn't sending it back, I was gonna mod it to work. First thing I did was cut the original springs off and replace them with shorter ones. The screws still couldn't reach the socket. Then I tried it bolted down with no springs. It worked, but it wasn't tight enough as I was hitting 60 C at 100% load on 4 cores. I placed some washers under the screws and that would do it. 47C at full load with stock 3.4 clocks. Not too bad now. Once I got the socket mount sorted out, I moved on to the fans. My push-pull set up with the red led fans were not pushing enough air. I switched back to the single, stock CoolerMaster fan and it does well at cooling. Next up, new 120mm LED fans that run at a higher rpm. Sorry for the crummy pics, I will post better photos when I get some more time.

By the way, this machine is folding 29000 points daily at all stock clocks.

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

P1000591.jpg

P1000590.jpg

P1000592.jpg

Unfortunately time and money caught up with me on this mod. After several failures of hardware, it now runs stably 24/7 with a production rate of 28000ppd in Folding@Home. At some point I will have to mod the case, but for now, it does its job and looks good doing it.

And the final photo

FinalphotosforCoolerMasterModContest.jpg

Archived