MiniMax (Elite 120) modlog

mattius92

Hello everyone, i'm Matt, aka mattius92, I am currently working on my first major PC mod, so don't expect perfect. While this is my first mod, this will be my 5th computer I have built. I decided I wanted a small, yet powerful gaming computer. The CM Elite 120 caught my eye because it was cheap and had decent mod potential. After browsing the web looking for other elite 120 mods, I really only found a couple. PFULMTL's MikuITX mod really gave me the general idea for my mod. Because the biggest issue with the Elite 120 is the lack of decent cooling for the CPU, I decided to follow in PFULMTLs footsteps and mod the PSU into the front of the case, this left a decent bit of room in the back for a more capable cooler. I will be following a black and red color scheme and this will be an Intel build. Here you go!

IMG_20121019_173034.jpg

My case and my first pencil markings that I used to help cut out the top for a window.

IMG_20121103_210859-1.jpg

Yes, I skipped the cutting process, and etc, but here is the completed top window. The whole top of the case is acrylic, I plan to add LEDs later on in the build.

IMG_20121103_210915.jpg

Here is another view of the case.

Next is the PSU

IMG_20121103_211032.jpg

Not the greatest pic, but it shows my Corsair CX430 PSU that I modded into the front, I did it a little different then PFULMTL did in his build. I utilized the existing 120mm fan bracket to mount the PSUs 120MM fan, then instead of pulling air through the case, I mounted the PSU so that it pulled air from a hole in the bottom of the case, meaning the PSU should stay very cool. Please do note, I am replacing the stock plastic feet with 7/8" metal feet to provide better breathing room for the PSU.

IMG_20121103_211057.jpg

Other side, please note, the cables are cluttered at the moment, but later on in the build that shall be fixed with piping and sleeving. I chose the 430W PSU because it was the shortest full ATX PSU that I could find, modular would of been better, but I am going to mod the cables anyways.

Added the mobo (ASRock Z77E-ITX) for a fit test, and to measure what room I have to run my piping and sleeving for my cable management.

IMG_20121107_203840.jpg

You can also see the 2.5" dual HDD mount that I put on the side of the PSU to hold my SSD and HDD, no need for any large 3.5" drive mounts anymore when SSDs are only 2.5"

IMG_20121107_203653.jpg

Bad photo, but I am showing you this picture just to show you the acrylic piece I modded over the old PSU hole to the left.

So many of you are probably wondering how is this thing going to stay cool, well thats next for me to show.

IMG_20121108_150039-1.jpg

Hey look another awesome CM product, the Hyper TX3, a 92MM smaller bro of the Hyper 212+. Anyways, sadly the Hyper 212+ is too tall for the case, but the Hyper TX3 is decent enough, I do plan to do some OCing, but I am sure this guy can handle it. Especially with the next product in my arsenal...

IMG_20121108_150027-1.jpg

2xCougar 140MM hydro-dynamic fans (yes there is only one in the pic) I wanted something that was quiet yet moved some air, so I settled on these babies to cool my case.

IMG_20121108_172833.jpg

Another bad pic, but it shows the two holes I cut on the side of my case to mount my two 140mm fans. Yes they will be mounted on the outside of the case, but I am debating trying to fabricate sometype of housing, I will just wait and see.

IMG_20121108_180947.jpg

Another bad pic, however that my fan mounted on the side of the case, I will soon paint them red and black and add the fans grills once I get them. I tested the fans, the inside of the case is like a wind tunnel, I will have to wait and see if the cooling really works once I have my CPU and GPU in there.

Sooo that's what I have to date, I plan to buy the piping for the cables soon, and the red and UV LEDs for the case lighting. I hope you all like it, I will post updates in the days to come. Please any ideas, thoughts, comments would be much welcomed.

Archived