Custom Watercooled DeskPC

d3skpc

Hello Fellow Modders!!

Matty from the UK here. This is my first ever post on Cooler Master so be nice :):eek:

After seeing a few custom built desk PC's floating around the web I fell in love with the idea and couldn't resist having a crack at it myself. I've built PC's before but nothing on this scale.

So for the past 3 months I've been in CAD and came up with a few idea's before settling for my favorite and really going to town on it.

My idea was to have a wooden desk with 2 viewing area's in it for the m/board and for the HDD's. I would have a cabinet on one side which would house the radiator, PSU and cabling to make it as neat as possible. After mulling the idea over for a while I decided it would be a great idea to house the monitors in the desk as-well, sort of have them pop up when i wanted them and hide them away when I didn't.

Anyways it all looked good in theory but the idea was just in my head and in 2D drawings until that is I found Sketchup (No idea how I've missed it before), now I have a 3D model of it and though it looked good so thought why not post it on the forums and get other modders views on it.

So here are the picture so far

Left%20View.jpg

Front%20View.jpg

Right%20View.jpg

Top%20View.jpg

Rear%20View.jpg

I'm really please with the results so decided to go ahead and get a prototype built. I'm not a woodworker and don't really have the space to do woodwork as I live in a flat, therefore i'm going to get the pieces cut on a CNC machine and assemble it elsewhere.

Luckily my mum works for a company with a wood CNC machine :D and they have agreed to cut the pieces for me for free out of scrap wood they have. EGGSCELLENT!!!

So the drawings went off yesterday and hopefully I'll have the bits cut within a week.

There won't be many updates until then but I'm very keen to see what people think of the idea so let me know :)

Happy Modding!!

Matty C

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys it's been ages since I put an update on but the company cutting the wood for free were very busy and only got round to it last week.

So anyway I finally got all the parts delivered on Friday and spent Sunday drilling holes and assembling as much as I could.

Here are a few pics that I took.

Just some of the wood lying around, In this pic i've already manually routed length ways ready for my sliding doors.

parts1.jpg

Holes drilled for cam locks and dowels for all my side panels.

parts2.jpg

My Shelving and cabinet bases ready to be routed for the cam locks.

parts3.jpg

Assembly time!!!!

Right cabinet assembled and mounted

assembly1.jpg

assembly2.jpg

I got a bit too into the assembly at this point and and forgot to take more pictures lol but here is the main frame fully assembled. The long thin panel that sticks out at the back was too tight a fit so i'm going to shave 1mm off all around the edge to help it slot into place.

assembly3.jpg

Left cabinet where the main components will be and the m/board will sit in the top bay.

assembly4.jpg

Holes for the fans where my cooling will be.

assembly5.jpg

Here you can see my sliding rear panels in action, ignore the hole going all the way through, i didn't put the smaller panel in place as i was running out of time.

assembly6.jpg

assembly7.jpg

Finally the left view with a fan hole for taking air out.

assembly8.jpg

There still loads of work to do but I'm really pleased with it so far and extremely happy that other than a couple of small ajustments the whole thing went together easily.

Oh btw the glass you can see is on the desk at the moment is just some spare stuff my dad had in his gareg that roughyl fitted the slot so just put it there to get a rough idea of the end result.

Next I need to build the monitor housing and buy myself an actuator to lift it, should be fun so will update you when doing that.

Archived