Vintage

Fotes Lykos

So here I am at another go at the contest. My entry this year is a bit different that my last entries. My project will be revolved around an old vintage wooden tube radio chassis. I am planning to include a custom cabinet to go with it to house my monitor and keyboard with mouse. I am also planning a few extras to go along with it providing my budget allows. Best of luck to all the modders and above all lets have fun! :D

I finally got the radio cabinet delivered. It is in fairly rough shape finish wise but for what I need to do it is perfect. Since it forms a curve it poses a bit of a problem of wasted space which will be overcome by simply extending the back a few inches. The front already has a hole with grill and mesh built in for what would have been the speaker which will serve as a fan hole. I am going to be using an ITX board in this system to save space and the board is going to sit on a removable drawer type tray.

IMG_20131004_190904_zps842a3507.jpg

IMG_20131004_190846_zps4be58682.jpg

IMG_20131004_190828_zpsb3e4ef31.jpg

IMG_20131004_190812_zps98e431db.jpg

IMG_20131004_190801_zpsb9d94b31.jpg

This is my rough plan for the main part of the build.

• 2 weeks later...

I started sanding down the old finish. The cabinet is in rough shape and I am not sure if I can get a uniform color just by sanding it down. If I cant get a good color I am simply going to veneer the entire unit.

I used 150 grit then a light pass with 220 grit using a sanding block and a loose sheet for the curved areas. There were a few spots that needed a very light pass with my rotary tool and a sanding drum on the lowest possible setting. The only part that was not touched was the fan grill which is in very good shape

reserved for photos

During sanding

After sanding

After finishing the sanding i used an oak colored oil based stain to stain the entire unit. The cabinet is staying pretty much the same except for the back plate and some modifications internally which will be stained at a later date.

(will provide photos once unit dries)

Archived