-=SpH!Nx=-

Sponsored by:

xKER1El.jpg

A huge shout out and thank you to Bitspower for providing all the fittings, reservoirs and water blocks for this build! Thank you so much for jumping in and helping out with my build!

Hey guys!

I am here again and I want to share my second scratch build of a computer case. This time around, since my room is getting a little bit tight (and the wife started complaining), I decided to make a desk and incorporate a full computer system inside of it. I still don't have a proper name for it yet though.

The design that I ended up with is basically having a desk that can accommodate a full ATX system inside, with water cooling. Since I already have 2 fully functional mini itx systems, I then decided to make a desk that can accommodate 2 Mini ITX or 2 Micro ATX systems.

This was my first concept using AutoCAD 2014.

cc3I2tfl.png

This was my second concept.

bw0pxKNl.png

In the photos, you will see that the desk only accommodates one system, but then I decided to go and make it accept to Micro ATX  or Mini ITX systems.

The materials that I used here were, mostly, pine knot wood.

yS9ZmTyl.jpg

5ZbYQqsl.jpg

In this photo, I accidentally manage to put a crack on side part of the desk. A little bit of wood glue here and there and a screw fixed the problem. :)

SJeGcoLl.jpg

ekUaM3tl.jpg

I made a design where in the pieces of the desk have certain slots and inserts for easy assembly/ dis-assembly if I wanted to. 

lTWQkTMl.jpg

kgMcLsFl.jpg

After all the wood-cutting work, a friend of mine told me that the design of the desk that I made kinda looks familiar to him. He then made a quick google seach, and sure enough, what he saw kinda looks similar to what I designed. The name of the desk was "Vector Desk".

gRDSUKTl.jpg

I was almost on the verge of giving up on the desk build because I don't want to be tagged as a "CopyCat" with the design that I made, but, instead of giving up, I decided to proceed and add a little twist to the desk. I really wanted a "Electric Sit and Stand" desk in our office since sitting in my chair for 8 hours, 5 days a week, is kinda killing my back, I thought of adding a couple of linear actuators to the desk stands so I could adjust the height of the desk easily if I wanted to.

So I purchased a pair of cheap linear actuators, and started to make a desk stand with rails for the actuators. I tested the actuators first to see if I could tie them on a power supply. It works perfectly! 

vAf1mMUl.jpg

AyXUKkfl.jpg

The inside of the desk stand looks like this.

uP1jywEl.jpg

I screwed up one of the lengths of the desk stand, but using a jigsaw fixed the problem. I decided to use a pair of post base covers for the top of the stand where the desk will sit.

IRTfAvtl.jpg

Then I proceeded to make the holes for the fans, the power supply, radiators, motherboard I/O shield and GPU slots on the pieces of the desk. Using the MNPCtech Dual 140mm Billet Aluminum radiator grills, I started to make a sketch on where the radiators and fan holes will go. 

pCnHI7Bl.jpg

Got the holes for the power supplies and radiator fans done!

idwJ4zLl.jpg

Motherboard mounting holes, Done!

yVItj5ul.jpg

And after that, this is what the desk looks like with the stands (still not complete). It kinda looks bulky for me. Gigantic stands!!!

VeDvTDhl.jpg

CISYLQKl.jpg

I then proceeded to make the fan holes on the both sides of the desk and the intake fan hole for the power supplies.

PRSp9Rql.jpg

zCDXyPCl.jpg

The holes for the switches and the Optical Drives are.... Done!!  :lol:

I will be using vandal resistant switches for the "On" or power button. The black, long switch will be used for controlling the vertical movement of the linear actuators. The switch is called Polarity reversing 3 way switch.

5Bg3Jvgl.jpg

SmAE8Ahl.jpg

DRtLkuml.jpg

After all of the mounting holes for the main components were done, I started thinking of a mounting method for the desk stands that will be easy enough for maintenance. I was thinking if I ever screw the stands on the desk itself, sooner or later, something might happen on the linear actuators, and taking the screws off underneath the desk will probably going to be a pain in the rear. So instead of screwing them in, I made a mounting design with a few angle brackets and U channels wherein I could just actually slide the stands in or out for easy installation or removal. 

BueAp8Ll.jpg

qlDIHvnl.jpg

LiPYVXEl.jpg

pcnQPNHl.jpg

UVghgQGl.jpg

I then started to make the holes for the cable and tube routing in the desk. 

BXAWFRzl.jpg

Now I got all the holes for all the components done!

KbLBaGEl.jpg

Disassembled the whole desk and preparing them up for the first coat of paint. 

hBACiaxl.jpg

wwm5AUml.jpg

This what I have right now. Still a lot of stuff to do. The base for the stands are still on progress, sanding, sanding and more sanding. And more paintings too! I need to get this project done as soon as I can because winter is coming, and if you noticed on the photos, I don't have a workshop for doing modding. I do all of the work in our backyard. 

Thank you for taking the time to read through my build and see you on the next update! 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a little update for my project. I just finished doing the second paint coating today after doing some more sanding. Still needs to do the final sanding and paint coating next weekend and after that, I will finish up the base for the stands for the Desk with the linear actuators. 

CYCp78Rl.jpg

WRCiyEYl.jpg

JGxMvyHl.jpg

LSwX9X3l.jpg

u9CrzYfl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a little update on my project. I just finished a few rendered drawings last night for the desk with both of the full custom loops on it. Tomorrow, I will be continuing on working with the stands, paint them, and hopefully by the end of this month, I will start the assembly of the systems inside the desk! I used AutoCAD MEP 2014 to make the drawing. I am still trying to learn my way around GoogleSketchUp. I know there are a lot of tutorials out there, but learning how to use it takes time, which I really don't have right now. 

G1Q3Ngp.png

Ncs6a7v.png

s6LKVje.png

sEJfUeQ.png

A little update for my project. I just finished doing the first leg of the desk. And it ended up looking "ginormous" because of the linear actuators inside. Next week, I will try to finish the second leg and start to paint both of them while the temperature outside is still "fall-ish".

7LpP73El.jpg

13I5w7ml.jpg

0tpSXYil.jpg

QTp4T55l.jpg

Not the best looking leg, but it will do the trick! If I could make it look a bit more smaller and slimmer, I will, but since winter is already coming, I am not sure if I will be able to re-do the legs from the ground and up.  :D

Another small update! 1 of the final packages that I was waiting arrived today. I purchased a couple of 240 rads, DDC pump tops, PETG tube, fan hubs, a bunch of fan screws and cable management adhesive ties and a acrylic tube bending kit. And of course, I am now a proud owner of the MNPCTech mod ruler! I always wanted this but it was hard to find because it was always out of stock!

GIorKy7l.jpg

F0tQTcyl.jpg

IuTyBYvl.jpg

rnLEw83l.jpg

cV1vP8Pl.jpg

6Z9VSoEl.jpg

sTxD8btl.jpg

KFwDxy0l.jpg

6FuYOiQl.jpg

t3zQm03l.jpg

lUdsjgJl.jpg

uL4Ddhml.jpg

SnKAHlDl.jpg

Hopefully the second package (which will be all the fittings and reservoirs and water blocks) will arrive here by next week so I could start assembling the desk and the systems by the end of October or first week of November.

Well, till the next update! Wish me luck!  ;)

Update time! Almost done with the paint job. The weather here is just crazy. Every time I am about to press the spray can, the wind will blow hard. Of course I will stop and I will shake the can while waiting for the wind to stop blowing, and as soon as I am going to spray again, gawd dang wind blows again. Good thing the painting went well.

h1yNnSsl.jpg

l8m6wqIl.jpg

dUnmNyol.jpg

EPTQsd9l.jpg

pcCjqVIl.jpg

I will try to finish the final touches tomorrow and hopefully next week, every thing that I need for the build will get delivered so I could start the assembly by next weekend. Wish me luck! And again, thank you for taking your time to go through my build!

Archived