Case Features:

Scratch Built custom carved exterior

Front USB/Audio Panel located in protruding root

Optical media slot hidden behind root

Scratch built CPU "Heart" Cooler w/Embedded interior LEDs

Scratch built "Mushroom" Reservoir w/Embedded interior LEDs

Custom Sculpting around Radiator

Build Log

Initially I wanted to create a case mod that was a more 'serious' build as opposed to your basic fan additions, lights, etc. The next thing that I wanted out of my mod would be that it is unique from other case mods. I also wanted something more organic and less of a traditional case. After some pondering I was looking through my things and saw a stump carving I had done and it hit me.

After deciding on the general idea for the case, 'Tree Stump', I then had some decisions to make. Would I get a real tree stump and morph it into a workable case, or completely scratch build my case and carve it to look like a stump? I decided it would be easier to design as well as less work to build it from a piece of 12" wide lumber. 

The next issue I encountered was being able to easily work away that much wood to make everything blend together ideally as one piece. Sanding and dremeling take too long to work a good amount of wood. Eventually I discovered a carbide grinder bit for my 4.5" grinder, and that thing eats wood for breakfast, easily one of my favorite tools I've discovered.

post-147772-0-05683600-1419209453.png

I used the large carbide bit to work the big flowing shapes and a dremel to get the fine detail lines carved in. This took awhile but I think it turned out quite nicely, and the lines are quite obvious before stain. I wanted at least one protruding root as well, but not many as to make the case really huge. Originally I had no purpose for the root coming out, but it clicked that it was a great spot for the front IO panel so I worked that in there so it's easy to access yet not noticeable right away.

I was trying to imagine some features that would be present on an actual tree and knew I need to have some knots in there. I randomly placed them as the wood seemed to take shape and one of the knot holes ended up being absolutely perfect for a power button. I had some 5/8 dowel rod that I used as the way to push the power button and made it look like a branch that had been cut and healed somewhat. This was another way for me to conceal from the front view what exactly this stump is for.

My next big move was the inside and how I would arrange the components. I knew I had enough room to fit everything I just needed to finalize exactly where each piece would go. At this stage I wanted a good place for my optical drive but still wanted it somewhat tucked away, for this the IO root works perfect to have it still accessible yet not obvious.

I also needed to decide what kind of cooling I was going to do. I didn't think air cooling would be ideal for this and I wanted my new case to be quieter than my old one. I had never done any liquid cooling with my PCs before this but decided it was what I wanted. But I wanted something that would stick with the overall organic tree stump theme. So I decided to completely scratch build my water loop.

I created the CPU cooler out of a thick chunk of copper that I worked a pattern into to create a little more surface area. I know I can expand on that portion a lot but has been more than sufficient so far. For the actual structure of the CPU cooler body I decided I wanted it to be the 'heart' of the system, so I carved it to be a human-ish heart with roots pumping into it. I am going to add a little paint to it before I am totally finished to show the details better of the CPU cooler along with my reservoir tank. I crafted that to look like a little mushroom pack and made it just like the CPU cooler with clear cast epoxy resin which withstands temps higher than you would ever want your PC to go. 

I then decided to use an old car heater core as my radiator and have two fans on each side in a push-pull configuration. To fit it with the theme I used some clay that I carved to look like roots and then baked in the oven to hold their form. Right now I have just some 80mm that were laying around but I am going to replace them with some Cooler Masters that I got for a good deal. 

Overall I am pleased with the way this turned out and learned a lot that will allow me to do even crazier things in the future. I have some painting to do yet as well as adding in a green color to the water so you can really see the insides of my clear custom loop design. 

post-147772-0-88456500-1419209356.pngpost-147772-0-05487700-1419209356.pngpost-147772-0-62539400-1419209359.pngpost-147772-0-05930900-1419209359.pngpost-147772-0-31598300-1419209361.png

post-147772-0-21780000-1419209355.pngpost-147772-0-39378100-1419209360.pngpost-147772-0-72580900-1419209357.png

I've done a bit more work to the case the last few days, my question is, I have painted over the logo of my cooler master fans to blend in better, do I need to undo this for the rules? I wanted everything to blend nicely and look 'woodsy.' I will post some pics later tonight.

Here a quick few phone shots. I weather the outside of the case which helps a lot to smooth over the look. It was hard to see some of my carving due to it being all glossy. Weathering it helped to darken the case down, this color is much more suited to the rest of my desk, and it accentuates the finer details of the case better. I also did a bit of painting on my two custom water cooling pieces to help see the carving there as well. I finally got my heart beat light working fairly close to a heartbeat. 

The before and after is of the back of the case so that is why that drip spot was originally untended ;P

When I am back from Mexico I will update with better pictures. :) comments are welcome

post-96859-0-52430500-1422216866_thumb.jpgpost-96859-0-79551600-1422216868_thumb.jpg
post-96859-0-04925400-1422216871_thumb.jpg

Archived