Complx

w2y8X4G.jpg

Table Of Contents:

Sponsors:

FSLaser_logo_blue.jpg

http://fslaser.com/

Introduction and Concept

Hi Everyone,

Im back with another project, the last version of this one fell flat on its face due to a number of reasons, but this is pretty much version 2.0 of this concept.   The basic idea of this was to use 3D printing to create a case from scratch.  The original version was a full scale, full tower.  After getting some of the parts printed I started to find that there were some flaws with the plan, so I scrapped it and started from scratch.  the new plan was to make this a robust and semi portable system that I can travel with to and from LAN parties. 

UPDATED DESCRIPTION (2/6/2015):  To clear up some confusion, in case people were confused.  The majority of this case will be 3D printed, all of the frame will be 3D printed while the rest will be made out of metal, acrylic/plexi, etc.  Things like the motherboad tray, for example, will be made out of a aluminum.  Hope that clears this up a bit as I don't want people to get the wrong idea.

I will be keeping both forum and video logs of the progress. Stay Tuned!

Concept Images

6B9rgD5.jpg

dxoZF6O.jpg

RHrgzU6.jpg

CFyluoA.jpg

WIbbbtg.jpg

J03Abbs.jpg

UCIWdCq.jpg

MAfiCLB.jpg

WloBX3O.jpg

txnN9XD.jpg

Nz1r8F7.jpg

NRTkDzL.jpg

8hnq3QQ.jpg

42WlAea.jpg

nqcFhAl.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is awesome! I am planning to grab a 3D printer and I never thought of doing this kinda of stuff using it! Awesome work man! And may I ask you a question? How is the "sturdiness" of a 3D printed stuff? I was just wondering if it is solid enough to support all the weight of the components that will go inside the case. I was imagining if the case had a handle on top, will it be strong enough to hold all the weight of the system? 

Very good idea and 3D design skills. I also have a 3D printer to use for my scratch build, but my concept is quite different. Good luck from me as well!

I can answer about the sturdiness of 3D printed stuff. It depends on the plastic used (PLA or ABS), on the infill settings (how solid or hollow), print temperature is important too (the hotter you can print the stronger it will be after it cools down) and finally it depends on the design mechanically (layer joints are the weakest points on the z axis of a part). It is quite possible to make really strong parts.

Archived