[COMPLETED PAGE 5] MonoCase - High-End Gaming PC in the size of a popular game console

Mono

I built my first PC a couple of years ago and my enthusiasm for making PCs has grown.

I'm a university student who wants to get into the case modding hobby. :)

I have no sponsors as I am new to the scene.

Current status: PROJECT COMPLETED! Page 5 has final pics.

I am going to start with a very ambitious project of fitting a HIGH-END gaming PC into not much larger than a popular gaming console with no thermal compromises.
Intended for LANs or just as space-saving without losing on performance. Will fit most backpacks with ease along with peripherals and cables.

The specs for the PC are as follows:
PSU: Athena Power AP-MFATX50P8 500W 1U-FlexATX. Modified.
MB: Gigabyte H87N-WiFi Rev2.0
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.8GHz
Cooler: Silverstone NT07-115X
Fan: CoolerMaster XtraFlo Slim 120mm PWM
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM Low-Profile 1600MHz 1x8GB DDR3
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked ACX2.0 (overclocked to 1500MHz core, 7400Mhz effective memory)
WiFi: Using internal antennas. Realtek RTL8191SE 1x2 300Mbps 802.11 b/g/n half mini PCI-E card. Upgradable to an 'ac' card if needed.
LEDs: Custom RGB LED controller linked to PC through the motherboard's Serial Port Header.

The specs of the case are currently as follows (will update when changes are made):
>>>>>>>>>>>> Volume: 5.07 Litres <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Dimensions: 311x267x61mm (WxDxH)

Material: Clear Acrylic (10mm sides. 6mm top/bottom/divider.)
Front Panel: Power button, HD Audio jacks, 2 x USB3.0 Ports. (RGB LEDs will serve as power light. HDD light will be on the motherboard.)
Max GPU length: 255mm (will take either EVGA ACX2.0, Zotac 900-series or any brand's Mini-ITX variant.)
Max CPU Cooler Height: 25mm (or 40mm without the slim 120mm case fan)
Drive Support: One 2.5" SSD or Hard Drive

Reference Dimensions:

Game Consoles
PS4: 305x274x53 4.45L (My case is just 14% larger than this)
XBO: 343x263x80 7.22L (My case is 30% smaller than this)
Silverstone Cases
RVZ02: 350x350x80 9.80L
SG06: 220x177x286 11.14L
PS08: 355x168x400 23.86L

Other details:

• Power socket for the PSU will be re-wired to a rear IEC socket. Don't want to have the power socket on the side of the case.
  • Intel stock cooler does not fit (height). A Silverstone NT07-115X and a CoolerMaster XtraFlo Slim 120mm fan on the roof of the case blowing downwards (intake) will be used. This will provide fresh air to the undersized CPU cooler and cool the rest of the motherboard components.
  • Rear panel will be tailored for this specific motherboard (or its Z87 variant). I will not be using the I/O shield as it cannot fit.
  • Various lengths of M3 bolts will hold everything together. The divider will be held in place by slots built into the top and bottom pieces.
  • The GPU will connect to the motherboard via a PCI-E 16x 2U Riser Card.
  • The GPU will be held in place by the PCI-E Riser Card and a bracket on the rear of the case. As well as a rubber bumper near the end to keep it straight and reduce shock when transporting.
  • The RGB LED controller will be an Arduino microcontroller (pro mini variant) and a custom MOSFET circuit along with a RS232 to TTL level shifter. It will connect to the Serial Port header of this motherboard. This can be controlled via a serial terminal from the desktop or via an easily-coded GUI.
  • GPU PCI-E 6-pin power plugs will be partially in the wall of the case (they stick out a fair bit) as well as being cut down slightly to reduce their profile. A metal panel will be mounted over this hole. (Better explained visually.)

Thermal Design:

• The CPU and GPU area is separated by a divider with only holes large enough for the PCI-E power cable and riser card. This will isolate heat from the GPU from entering the CPU area.
  • The EVGA ACX2.0 sucks in air through the bottom and side of the case. It expels the hot air mostly out the Rear and Front of the case. All these areas are well vented.
  • The CPU area is vented. The CoolerMaster XtraFlo 120mm fan will be blowing downwards and pushing out any small gaps and vents, as well as supplying fresh air directly to the small CPU cooler.
  • The Power Supply sucks air in through its own vent through the bottom of the case. All air is expelled out the side of the case from the 40mm speed-controlled fan.

Pictures speak better than words in this situation. Here are some SketchUp models of the design:
Note: Some models from the SketchUp Warehouse were used to show where parts will go. It is for reference only. The GPU is a reference 780 that was scaled down to an EVGA ACX2.0 size. I was lucky to find my motherboard (the Z87 variant of it anyway which is physically the same) on the 3D Warehouse.

NOTE: These are not the final renders. These will not be posted. LATEST PICS ON PAGE 3 ONWARDS

Empty

Empty

Front

Front

Rear

Rear

Motherboard side (with PSU exhaust)

M side

Bottom

Bottom

Untitled

Soda Can and DVD Case for size.

inserts

Threaded M3 inserts that will be glued into holes in the sides of the acrylic pieces.

10859405 10203365257833902 967064086 N

Tiny Silverstone NT07-115X Cooler. Slightly louder than Intel Stock cooler. With EQUAL performance and almost half the height.
I am touching the plastic backplate. I use anti-static gear ;)

20150215 150142

CoolerMaster XtraFlo Slim 120mm PWM fan. Extremely quiet and high airflow in a thin package helps make this build possible.

Current status: PROJECT COMPLETED! Page 5 has final pics.

:3

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like slim form factor PCs. I have made a build called "Leveling Hades" and everything was really squized in like your design. Though mine was watercooled and 2 GPUs so it was slimmer than a normal case but otherwise quite big. I hope you can use frosted acrylic at some places, unless you can have similar effect with the Polycarbonate. Good luck with your build! I am looking forward for the first photos.

I really like slim form factor PCs. I have made a build called "Leveling Hades" and everything was really squized in like your design. Though mine was watercooled and 2 GPUs so it was slimmer than a normal case but otherwise quite big. I hope you can use frosted acrylic. Good luck with your build! I am looking forward for the first photos.

Ah nice!

I tried so hard to be able to fit a 295X2 but it just increases the size so much. Need to fit an SFX 600W PSU at the minimum and the radiator.

So I went all out and made it as small as possible with a miniITX card. Then I realised it would also fit the superior ACX2.0 cards. The power supply I discovered is what makes this build possible.

I'll be using Clear Polycarbonate. It will allow holes close to the edge without cracking and is much stronger than acrylic.

I still need to find a CoolerMaster part to use. Do you know of a CPU cooler less than 40mm by them?

I could replace the fan in the Scythe Kozuti with a CM one but they don't make 10mm ones afaik.

You can take a look at the Gemini II M4 cooler. I like it and the 15mm fan is also sold separately known as XtraFlo 120mm slim. I think it would look nice if the fan was at the same level as the panel of the case. Meaning no grill and a simple cut out on the panel. No protection for fingers unless you put a magnetic dust filter from demciflex, which imo would look equally awesome.

You can take a look at the Gemini II M4 cooler. I like it and the 15mm fan is also sold separately known as XtraFlo 120mm slim. I think it would look nice if the fan was at the same level as the panel of the case. Meaning no grill and a simple cut out on the panel. No protection for fingers unless you put a magnetic dust filter from demciflex, which imo would look equally awesome.

The Gemini II M4 is 59mm high. My limit is 40mm without making the case higher.

I am open to making a cutout on the roof. But that only adds 4.5mm of room.

I have an idea, use a TINY cooler like the Silverstone AR04. And put an XtraFlo Slim 120mm mounted to the roof of the case blowing down. Do you think that would work well? I am only cooling a stock-clocked 4670 (up to 3.8GHz Haswell Quad-Core) and am not using the iGPU so it should cool it enough.

It is 59mm with the fan so with no fan it is 44mm. It could work well, sure. Haswell at stock is quite energy efficient and cool. Worst case scenario you will experience thermal throttling and low boost clocks, but I don't think that will happen unless you full load the CPU for long. My 3570k at stock was at 68-78 C playing LoL, Diablo 3, Starcraft II, Supreme Commander FA with a stock cooler. That AR04 is super tiny though...

It is 59mm with the fan so with no fan it is 44mm. It could work well, sure. Haswell at stock is quite energy efficient and cool. Worst case scenario you will experience thermal throttling and low boost clocks, but I don't think that will happen unless you full load the CPU for long. My 3570k at stock was at 68-78 C playing LoL, Diablo 3, Starcraft II, Supreme Commander FA with a stock cooler. That AR04 is super tiny though...

>so with no fan it is 44mm

I need the fan on it though :P

Max is 40mm including fans. 44mm with hole cut in roof. I wouldn't want the fan sticking out the roof.

The AR04 is 23mm high. Plus the 15mm of the XtraFlo Slim is 38mm.

I get a little less CPU cooling, but it will force any "hot pockets" of air that collect inside the case around the motherboard out of the side vents. I noticed these when I had an SG06.

I mean, the AR04 can even be a little worse than the Intel stock cooler and it will still not throttle. I never hit throttle temps with a well ventilated case and stock cooler.

I'll do some research on the AR04.

Thanks. ^_^

Thanks!

Its changing all the time. Any specific angles you'd like to see? Or is it good with the amount there is now?

Nah, those renders look awesome! I have been planning on doing a similar scratch build last year but I kinda wanted to fit in at least 1 240mm rad inside. I have the sketches that I made but I just never had time to do it. :)

Do you have any color schemes in mind for this?

Archived