HT-PC by Sw333t

Sw333t

banner.png

Hi guys (and some girls hopefully),

My name is Mark and i'm from The Netherlands. This is my first buildlog on global scale, really want to know what you think of my ideas. I still need to start building, got in on a sort of hold due to medical operation scheduled next tuesday. Because of the recovery time afterwards i can start building around the second halve of March.

Why this build....

Well, i just wanted a HTPC near the TV, it is just much easier then the 15 metres of HDMI cable through the living room. And also.. because it is possible. We currently own an IKEA Expedit TV case (or is it furniture?) and there is one space which interrupts the lining of the case. I think that this picture says enough: http://i.imgur.com/svLyyHV.png

The hardware which will be mounted in this scratch build:

PSU: Cooler Master B500 V2 500W,

MB: MSI A88XI AC,

CPU: AMD A6-7400K,

Cooler: Modded AMD Boxed cooler (there is a Cooler Master Blade 80mm fan mounted on it),

Fan: Cooler Master Blade Master 80mm,

RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 kit,

SSHD: Seagate Laptop Thin SSHD 500GB,

ODD: LG CH12NS30 (Bluray reader, dvd writer),

GPU: Internal graphics,

WiFi: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 (stock on motherboard),

Lightning: Custom internal lightning (with off switch, a request by my wife),

Other: Pulse Eight HDMI CEC USB adapter.

The specification on the HT-PC module:

337 mm wide

390 mm deep

123 mm high

Material: 3mm Wood layers (lasercut) and glued together to 9mm thickness. Acrylic plexiglas window.

Lightning: Something custom, can't say alot about it. Just wait and see.

Some sketchups about the scratch build (clickable to bigger picture):

03_thumb.png

The slide in module.

01_thumb.png

Sliding into the IKEA TV furniture.

02_thumb.png

Other perspective.

04_thumb.png

Completely slide in.

05_thumb.png

Close up with windowed toppanel (i will make 3 inserts, one with clear plexi, one with tinted plexi and one with no seethrough (closed panel).

06_thumb.png

Without the toppanel.

08_thumb.png

Rear view.

07_thumb.png

Another rear view. Squares in the middle are for two rectangular rocker switches.

Some of the hardware:

CIMG8523.JPG

Cooler Master B500 Ver2 psu and 2x Cooler Master Blade Master 80mm.

CIMG8517.JPG

MSI A88XI AC ITX motherboard.

IMG_0683.JPG

2 Rectangular rocker switches and two vandal switches (one will be power switch, other for eject/close of ODD).

CIMG8535.JPG

The LG Bluray reader / dvd writer combi. Already modified with an external eject connector.

hdmicec03.jpg

Pulse Eight HDMI CEC USB adapter.

I also want to say thanks to my sponsors Cooler Master Benelux, MSI Netherlands and Highflow. You make my world rock.

If you got any questions, please ask. I don't bite.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm still recovering from surgery, but received some lasercutted parts some days ago. So i got some pictures to share with you all.

First of all, an exploded view from the case (there are arround 45 parts in total  :D):

exploded_view.png

Hard to see you say? Well, click on it and it's supersized (4000 x 2500 pixels).

If you look close enough, you might see an error in the drawing (silly me). I will fix that ofcourse.

The i received the order, which looks like a giant puzzle:

puzzle.jpg

Each panel is build by 2 or 3 layers of 3mm carpenter wood. Like for example the top panel, this is build with 3 panels. The window will be 3mm as well, so it will be flushed into the frame:

window_frame.jpg

Example with window:

with_tinted_window.jpg

The example is with a black tinted window. Also got a clear one and a closed panel insert (WAF  :wub: ).

So, that will be the wood section for now.

Bluraydrive...

Next thing, some tiny preparation on the bluray drive.. i do not use the original eject button, but a switch next to the power switch (in the front). So it needed an "external eject" connector.

So i opened the drive (warranty void FTW):

CIMG8538.JPG

Melted some plastic away (always easy with an old solder tip):

CIMG8539.JPG

Routed and soldered the cable in place:

CIMG8543.JPG

This drive now got an additional 2 pin connector to attach a switch to it (like a reset switch for example):

CIMG8546.JPG

The text in the photo is Dutch. It just says what i posted above the photo ;). The original button at the front still works by the way.

The bluray drive is ready for it.

Next thing... Lighting.

I've received some Bitspower 90 degree adapters from a Highflow member (it's my second home ;) ). And i wanted to do something funny with it. Ordered some LED flashlights on Ebay because i need some glasses for it (seperate glasses were more expensive than complete lights (i love ebay).

CIMG8613.JPG

Like i said, i only needed the glasses:

CIMG8617.JPG

Then i glued the glasses onto the Bitspower adapters, was a perfect fit:

CIMG8615.JPG

Got 4 of them now:

CIMG8620.JPG

One will be shining over the sshd, and the three others will be shining on the motherboard. They will be subtile lighting.

I've put an RGB led into each Bitspower "Lantarn", made a video with only one (sorry for music for some :P):

Next update will be next week i think. Thanks for watching and see you next time.

Oke, well.. i just could not wait. So i tested some of the puzzle parts together. Not glued yet, but just to check for errors.

First the front, with the 2 vandal switches (the left is power, the right is for open/close of the bluray drive) and a USB3 connector:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Made a mistake with the USB3 connector, so i had to use some spacers. But you will not see it finally, because the sshd tray will be on top of it.

06.jpg

Needs some wiring ofcourse. Don't know if i will be using the internal lights on de switches.

I went to the inside and just put some parts in (it's not perfectly aligned yet):

09.jpg

Separation wall between powersupply + odd (leftside) and motherboard + sshd (rightside).

08.jpg

The tray for the sshd. This also covers the USB3 front cable/connector.

11.jpg

Rear panel inserted. Here i saw an error.. i'm missing one part from my order :(.

The left side is for the power supply. The right side got 2 switches (all off for lighting, WAF), one opening for a Cooler Master Blade Master 80mm PWM (outtake) and the oval opening is for the cables to the IO of the motherboard.

12.jpg

Placed the top panel including the black tinted window.

13.jpg

Without flash.

So, that's it for today.

I did some more fitting and glueing the front in place (the back and midplate are nog glued in yet). Also put in some details of the hardware locations in the build.

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Less text, more photo's. See you next time.

Allright... some more progress (and some misstakes :angry:).

Butt first... lets glue in the rear end. No IO shield or PCIe slots. Just plain and simple. 

22.jpg

From right to left: 80mm fanhole, hole for cables to IO at rear of the motherboard, 2 tiny slots for on/off switches and the big hole is for the power supply.

Also mounted theother parts with woodglue:

23.jpg

Midplate

24.jpg

Additional plate on midplate (it's for the lighting and rear switches).

25.jpg

Placed the ODD platform. The bluray player will be on top, the cable clutter will be under it.

26.jpg

Other parts mounted for the lighting and switch housing.

27.jpg

Placed the bezel for the odd. Still needs a bit sanding, but that can be done later.

But then... the big mistake. I wanted to try the toppanel on top of it, but it got quite twisted.

Clearly i did not support it enough when the glue was drying. Facepalm moment.

28.jpg

The back is worser:

29.jpg

Did not want to do that one over. So i'm glueing the toppanel onto the frame. So it will not be removable.

Still can access everything, because of the large window and the open sides.

But offcourse, needed to test that before glueing the case onto the frame.

So put some hardware in it.

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

Can i glue it? YES I CAN :P.

Archived