[finished] Sabranco Humvee

Alexander Hede

Hey all!

Back again for this awesome competition. Always a lot of great mods and will be interesting to see all of them once they are done.

Recently finished the mod and thought i would enter it.

The idea was to make a mod with the new Asus Sabranco board in a Hummer.  After several different designs and a long time to find a hummer that would fit a full size motherboard i had a plan.

Been hard at work on fixing up my garage so i can do more modding in a nicer place
Newgarage_zpsecca4e72.jpg

Components.
Asus Sabertooth mark S
Intel 4690
Intel SSD
Cooler Master Nepton cooler
Asus Strix GTX 980
Kingston fury ram 32gb, 2 white and 2 black

Only spent half an hour on the hummer shell so it's not all there
1_zpse9f62b6d.jpg

After a few weeks i found one in Taiwan that was big enough.

1/6th scale
Arrived_zpsa0295969.jpg
Beer can for scale
Hummerarrived_zpsdd7904ec.jpg
Body removed
2014-10-09180650_zpse9253746.jpg

The board, i like it
89a170d3-6f7d-404a-8a0a-49aee6adad5a_zps

The PSU, have had a few of these and they have always worked good, so why not another one
DSC_0030_zpsf8c642dd.jpg
I was in such a rush i forgot to take pics of the GPU but i will post a bit later of the finished gpu.

On to the modding
Had to remove a lot of the electronics in order to fit all the parts. Would have been nice to have it drivable but prefer it to look nice in the end.

First up the a tray for the psu. Milled it out of polycarbonate. Was a bit tricky to find a good spot for it but in the end it sorted itself out. Only need 4 holes but added a few more for flexibility in case i want to move it a bit
PSUholder_zps4383063b.jpg

Acrylic support for the SSD.
Intelssd_zps732c65e0.jpg

Psu and ssd mounted. Yes, it's secured by a shoestring. The psu was a pressfit so not worried but i think it looks good.
Psuinteltestfit_zpsce9e2300.jpg

Next update more of the integrated rollcage for MB and GPU! Here its only in mdf, when its finished it will be out of aluminum
Rollcage_zps1711c75d.jpg

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

on with the modding.

Did a test fit with the mdf rollcage. I/o panel fits quite good but think i will lower it another mm into the frame to get the whole motherboard a bit closer to the panel.
Rollcagemockup_zpsba1ba88c.jpg

The hummer had very large hole after i removed the weapons, decided to make a cover for it and install a fan there. Milled out of acrylic and will be painted a bit later. Still has a small hole for a on/off button but need to have a think about what i want to do with it.
Fancover_zps9e20c1a7.jpg

Cut a slot in the back panel and removed some support material in order to get the motherboard and GPU to fit. Still needs some cleaning up but need to make sure everything fits before i make it look nice.
Hummershellcutout_zps73d93977.jpg

In order to get a flush fit between the GPU and the back panel i made an 2mm aluminum back plate. For some reason i programmed the chamfering around the dvi port a bit wrong so i took too much off. Shouldn't have watched tv while programming :) Will still be good for a test fit
GPUplate_zps4f85267b.jpg

New stickers for the fans. The original strix stickers didn't really fit the build.
Tufgpustickers_zpsd2b60872.jpg

First idea for the Hummer and GPU would be to use plastidip. Everyone seems to be liking it and it looks decent in pictures. So bought a few cans and tried it on the GPU. After trying it twice i decided to use normal paint. It didn't look right, it had quite an uneven surface and it just felt cheap. I guess for a motherboard with lots of components and uneven surfaces its not so noticeable.  So here is the final pic of the GPU with normal spray paint.
GPUfinished_zpsd9bcfc69.jpg

Last but not least did decide to have a test run of the components. Have had the motherboard for quite some time but hadn't gotten around to test it. Have never gotten a dead mb so wasn't so worried. All worked fine except the gpu, in the end it needed a shielded pcie riser from 3m, tried a few different ebay cables but non of them worked. The 3M ones are expensive but seems to be bulletproof.
Testsetup_zps31173f4e.jpg

The bracket for the Radiator/roof mount
Radiatormount_zpsa893dd3d.jpg

Part of the rollcage, getting a hang of the mill now, getting great surface finish without the need for sanding
Rollcageside_zps7d21efb1.jpg

All parts of the rollcage assembled, seems to be very stable.
Rollcageassemnly1_zps373a2ae2.jpg

Quick test assembly with the motherboard.
Rollcageassemnly2_zps9a62bf39.jpg

Some support brackets for the GPU
GPUsupport_zps47182527.jpg

As always there is something you don't plan for. Had to change one of the sides to make space for the PCI-e riser.
Rollcageassemnly4_zpsf716f013.jpg

Decided to powedercoat the black bits and the white is just normal spray paint. Think the back bit will look better together with the hummer once its painted.
MBtestfit_zpsf6966d8a.jpg

Time for some primer!
Hummerprimer1_zps8a1e8872.jpg
Hummerprimerdone_zps4ea7dd6e.jpg
And some white paint!
Hummerwhite_zpsf2dddc7f.jpg
Had to see how it looks together with the wheels, still missing bits and doing the windows,
Hummerwhitetestfit_zps094d1714.jpg

Painted the radiator/roof mount. decided for black, there's quite a lot of white already :)
Radsupportpainted_zps4ac94093.jpg

The nepton cooler with the mount fitted
DSC_0027_zpsb4399aba.jpg

rotated the logo so it's the right way, not really necessary but i do like it when the text is not upside down :)
neptonmod_zps6a90a1b4.jpg

A quick test if everything aligns. Seems pretty dead on :)
Testfitmb_zps139743e0.jpg

Started adding stickers to the car. S/N 0052 is the serial number on the board. Also installed the lights with leds and cabling. Now they light up when the computer is running. Added a switch though so i can turn them of if they are too powerful.
DSC_0009_zps8e3f48e6.jpg

Spent a long time getting the red stickers cut. Seems like cutting a perfectly round circle is a lot harder than i anticipated :D
DSC_0012_zps3f59ffb2.jpg

One side complete
DSC_0006_zpsbf5e2844.jpg

Lights installed!
DSC_0004_zpse7593327.jpg

Top fan fitted! Slight bend in the roof but if i tighten the screws a bit more i should get rid of the tiny gap. Also did all the windows.
DSC_0035_zps8bf0ad07.jpg

Final photos in the next update! A little sneak preview :)
DSC_0047-Copy_zps8ab88eb4.jpg

• 1 month later...

Time for some final shots!

Decided to take the PC outside to get some shots in the snow. Got a bit of snow during the day and thought it was a good idea to get some "action" shots :)

DSC_0046_zps48e8dc8b.jpg
DSC_0050_zps4b4b7fb3.jpg
DSC_0059_zpsdab9c218.jpg
DSC_0052_zps609080c9.jpg
DSC_0061_zps36de4646.jpg

Had to stop taking photos outside, started to snow again and the computer was getting wet. Continued with some inside shots.

Hooked it up to make sure it was still running. All good!
DSC_0082_zps85608df3.jpg
DSC_0111_zpsb3f4ea82.jpg
DSC_0114_zpsd0dd7f24.jpg

Took a while to get the lights to the right intensity, 620ohm did the trick and lowered it enough to look good in photos and in real life
DSC_0119_zpsed822810.jpg
DSC_0128_zps5d1614ec.jpg
DSC_0140_zps944a35fa.jpg

Thx for looking!

Archived