Heaven & Hell DeskCon Project

Quantor

Day 38 (day before Christmas 23rd December 2014)

Just in time another cheap ebay-shot was delivered... a BitFenix Recon Controller for my Office-side....

Quickly installed it before the Holidays....

pc220696e3uhx.jpg

pc2206995mu23.jpg

pc2207008aubo.jpg

and connected the remaining fans to it....

pc2207052cud3.jpg

pc220703ozupr.jpg

and checked them for function.....

pc2207086kuck.jpg

pc220716o6u6y.jpg

pc220734c1u23.jpg

Now all Fanns were connected and ready for duty...

pc220721x2uy6.jpg

pc22072816u4s.jpg

pc220729fguq3.jpg

pc220723atufm.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 39 - One day before New Years Eve...

During the Holidays another small package with an order from Aquatuning found it's way....

1gzse1.jpg

LED-Stripes, Cable extensions, two AquaComputer "Farbwerk" LED-Controller and some Long awaited Fittings were inside......

2uvsbk.jpg

3ozsiu.jpg

But before I started to integrate the new toys into the project I have modified the CPU-Cooler I buyed over ebay as this Piece was meant to be for Socket 1366. So I modified it for Socket 1150...

4l2s72.jpg

5cvski.jpg

and mounted it on the board....

6rssq9.jpg

7t3smo.jpg

84usqy.jpg

9kpsy2.jpg

After that I took care about the newly received Fittings.. Drilling a hole into the right backward desk leg...

10k0stx.jpg

11u3snk.jpg

then inserted the Fitting...

12yzsql.jpg

16cfs66.jpg

17mdsmd.jpg

and then attached a 90° Angle-Fitting....

13ixshk.jpg

14tgsog.jpg

15v9sgb.jpg

Then I've attached a tube-connector on the inside, and installed the wiring between the right side pump and the pump/fan controller... and also installed a Phobya DC-400 Pump...

1871sal.jpg

19dtshp.jpg

204wswg.jpg

21c6sx9.jpg

22n3stz.jpg

Day 40

Next I was working on the harddrives for the right side.... Using angle to fit them in and using some Kind of rubber to get rid of noise and vibrations....

23bas6m.jpg

24f6s1h.jpg

...screwed them into position...

254ns56.jpg

260fs6c.jpg

Then I took my time to get all the cables through the fals bottoms and brought it into Position....

276ks2h.jpg

28bfska.jpg

...installed the Mainboard and wired it...

29pksw2.jpg

30deshm.jpg

313osx1.jpg

Function-checked the wiring........

32ciscm.jpg

And after that I've started to install my light-concept...

33s1sow.jpg

34fpsu0.jpg

The LED-Spots were installed on positions where they could not spread the light directly in my eyes when working at the desk....

35iqsfy.jpg

36zusgm.jpg

Function check after the Installation....

377csad.jpg

38eascu.jpg

39alsfo.jpg

409esci.jpg

And yes... The Color could be changed....

41wasl8.jpg

42y8s81.jpg

43xrsd3.jpg

446zsh7.jpg

4565s7p.jpg

Day 42

As I was preparing the right side fals bottom I forgot to add a hole for the CPU-Power-Cable... So I was forced to add this one now...

2833uxb.jpg

29yuumn.jpg

30lguk1.jpg

319lu4g.jpg

325queh.jpg

After that I prepared the left side rear desk leg as I already had prepared the right one...

33xpu9y.jpg

34vlu9h.jpg

35afuyx.jpg

364vuiz.jpg

Then I started some work on the back part of desk plate (the one I cut into two pieces)... As I was needing also cable tunnels here I made the decision to use combined tunnels with sensor triggered automatic lifted USB Hubs....

38fauop.jpg

39mhuuy.jpg

Measuring and marking the positions...

40l9upo.jpg

431zuw6.jpg

Then Drilling the holes...

41ihufo.jpg

42n8ugf.jpg

44ztury.jpg

4510utm.jpg

4627uq6.jpg

47q7uiv.jpg

48uns5d.jpg

Day 43

Back to work at the rear desk plate....

gave the plate a White paint Job... No Need for perfection at this Point as it'll also receive a plexiglas-cover later on... So one pass was enough....

1ztdk5.jpg

2y7d1y.jpg

37yidi.jpg

4q3f52.jpg

After the paint was dry I've installed LED-Stripes into the channels for the acrylic tubes....

5e0fw9.jpg

6redlk.jpg

77yfjd.jpg

8ndi4a.jpg

and widened the holes a bot so that LED-Stripes and Acrylic Tubes could pass through together....

9r0fua.jpg

Looks a bit like Star Wars and the attack on the Death Star...

1035flh.jpg

11iwedj.jpg

12khdu6.jpg

139cfsk.jpg

And to end this day I've made a function-check....

141nez1.jpg

15eoe18.jpg

16vximq.jpg

20y0f94.jpg

21axel6.jpg

22rqe1n.jpg

Also checked if the tubes are Fitting into the channels together with the LEDs....

24y0f2y.jpg

25gidw4.jpg

Day 44

On that day I've repeated again work which I've done days before on the other side... so not much to comment...

Installing Harddrive on the Office-Side... inserting and cabling the false bottom.... installing the Motherboard...

11tuai.jpg

2qfu4x.jpg

3inud7.jpg

4wzuvc.jpg

57pu14.jpg

14soux1.jpg

15ihug5.jpg

6rzus1.jpg

7g9u3v.jpg

8y8u6r.jpg

Also installed LED-spots on this side (made no Pictures of it as it also was already covered the other day...)

After I've moved the hardware from my Office-PC to this side I was in Need of at least one working PC, so I've decided to temporary tube this PC with normal tubes and one old pump laying around.....

So I was able to partially using the desk while still working on it....

9tfu1l.jpg

10b3udm.jpg

11qeuxl.jpg

122ruip.jpg

13eguf0.jpg

16tduc6.jpg

176ru95.jpg

18vyuui.jpg

19x4ui7.jpg

20p0uqw.jpg

218npv5.jpg

This is how it was looking at this point of the project.....

22ztqy7.jpg

234zoh0.jpg

24jlpim.jpg

250qrze.jpg

Day 45

This was a very busy day... and it started out again with receiving a small package....

1wzzbu.jpg

2ala0h.jpg

With the best greetings from Austria I've received some SSDs from Angelbird for my project....

3ubav4.jpg

55laln.jpg

6jhb4h.jpg

So after the unboxing I've installed them immediately into the project.......

79fzqr.jpg

817bml.jpg

9dwal3.jpg

10aub87.jpg

11sfagp.jpg

1240yeo.jpg

Now it was time to work a bit more on the lightning-concept... So I've started to install additional LED-Stripes and the very cool "Farbwerk"-Controllers from AquaComputer....

13nizxy.jpg

14szli8.jpg

15s1z85.jpg

16gjxgn.jpg

But before I've installed them I've tested if they're working properly....

17j2a4v.jpg

1864yxm.jpg

194xbhy.jpg

20f8y14.jpg

21y4x2y.jpg

24oixxb.jpg

25rzb4h.jpg

After I've stopped playing around with them it was time to find the right spot for installing them... After many thoughts I made the decision to install them behind the front plate, next to the Controllers of the Touchscreens..... So I made some notches into the middle-wall for connecting the cables comming from the LED-Stripes in the back...

The cables now running from back to front are in unseen Areas... so noone can see them....

2617xfk.jpg

27fkx4d.jpg

28qdxtb.jpg

296tl0t.jpg

30irb8j.jpg

31kubja.jpg

32vebvu.jpg

33xta2a.jpg

34vly1x.jpg

35xlzay.jpg

36fhyzx.jpg

37zcxcx.jpg

After finishing I've played around a bit more with the Controllers.....

39yil55.jpg

4111bnb.jpg

424xxi7.jpg

43n8zt7.jpg

446fldj.jpg

45xhlks.jpg

46b9xs9.jpg

47lbx1d.jpg

Day 46

On this day I was working on some kind of side project...

THIS IS NOT THE FINAL VERSION - IT WAS ONLY AN EXPERIMENT TO CHECK IF THIS WORKS OUT FOR ME !!!

I was in Need of a place and a way to integrate all the Switches from the build-in components like light-Switches, Touchscreen-control, aso.

So I tried to build a Switch-oanel by myself....

I've used an old 5 1/4" Slot cover and made some holes for the Switches into it... What I wanted to do was building some sort of foil-keyboard....

18vugj.jpg

Then I screwed the Touchscreen-controls on it....

2ljuh6.jpg

3cburd.jpg

43sum9.jpg

Then I placed the whole Thing on my scanner and made a scan....

56oull.jpg

I've opened the scan with my graphics-suite and marked the Buttons....

6i6u2o.jpg

....then I've added a Background, put one of my personal project logos on it and labeled the buttons...

75su70.jpg

...printed the whole Thing....

84jucs.jpg

....cutted it out.....

9y8upp.jpg

....and was laminating it with clear tape.....

10duu6k.jpg

118fumf.jpg

Then I've attached it with double-sided Tape to the 5 1/4" Slot cover....

123pui5.jpg

134buuq.jpg

149juxu.jpg

15yqulg.jpg

16dsucr.jpg

and as a last step also screwed the light Switches to this construction....

21kluy3.jpg

and attached it to the desk.......

17p6u86.jpg

18xuuud.jpg

19tru1u.jpg

and ready was my personal "Heaven"-Control Version 0.1 Alpha....

20tkuf5.jpg

The whole Thing worked that good that I made the decision to redoo it more professional later on and to add it to the project.... As said before: At this point it was only an Experiment....

Day 47 ... or why there a days you better should stay in bed....

Every project is comming to a point where everything is starting to go wrong.... Day 47 waa my personsal Desaster-day...

At this day I was starting to work on the acryllic tubing... First all was going good... but then Murphys Law was hitting me with it's whole power....

For working on the desk I removed the main desk plat and placed it aside of it leaning on our Terrarium... I was in our kitchen bending the tubes... Meanwhile the son of my Girl-friend came home from School placing his shoes at the bottom of the stairs leading to the first floor to his room... right in the middle of the floor conecting the kitchen with the living-room....

It happened what should happen...

I came from the kitchen wanting to enter the living room... was not aware of the shoes... falling over them and struggling to keep my Balance... As a result I tried not to fall to the ground and grabbed after our Terrarium but hit the desk plate... the plate was falling and hitting first one of the touch Screens and then one of my sparkling water columns... completly destroying both pieces....

Arghhhhhhhh.....

This would have been the point to immediately stop all works on the desk and go straight to bed...

But NO... after cleaning up the mess I wanted to work a bit more on the project to make Progress....

And Murphy was hitting me again....

As my Office PC was working at this time with a temporary tubing as described in one of the former Posts I was forced to empty parts of the Loop for working on the acryllic tubes... To do so I've placed the connected Keyboard at the bottom on one side of the desk... I went into the kitchen to modify one of the tubes and meanwhile two of our cats were playing around "hunting" in the living-room... As my BIOS was set to "Wake up on Keyboard Event" it happened what should happen... One of the cats was running over the Keyboard, triggering a boot... As the Loop was only partly emptied by me and some tubes not connected the Motherboard and Processor were flooded and short-circuited...

Killing the Motherboard (ASUS Striker II Extreme) and my brandnew graphics-Card Sapphire R7 250 Ultimate....

However the processor (Intel Core2Quad Q6600) of the Office-PC survived...

Strike !!!!!!!!!

So I was forced to replace the whole Setup vs. a much older Striker Extreme Board laying somewhere around and vs. my old gaming graphics, an HIS R9 280x...

As this old Striker Board also has had some defects (not addressing all RAM-Banks and USB-Ports) I've replaced it later by an ASUS Maximus Formula Special Edition Board...

So don't wonder if from now on different boards are visible on the photos....

Some last photos of my original Setup:

1w3fkn.jpg

2z4c0z.jpg

3e3erw.jpg

Back to work... On the same day all this :) happened I've installed a Phobya DC260 Pump into the left back leg and also a WLAN-Router....

3btlefg.jpg

One floor above my NAS moved into place...

3cykccr.jpg

Then started to bend the acryllic tubes...

First I made the two real big ones, which should start at the bottom of the rear legs... moving up to the desk plate... making a 90° turn into the channels of the backward desk plate and at the end another 90° turn going into the desk.... All in all the tubes have a length of 1,45m each...

4mifd1.jpg

5uci28.jpg

6xve0n.jpg

For bending such a Long tube I've moded the needed Silicon inlay a bit....

70cez8.jpg

8aneqi.jpg

982cfy.jpg

102be38.jpg

11xecw8.jpg

121uitf.jpg

Same again with the 2nd tube....

1318fz2.jpg

14mvflf.jpg

Short check if the tube fits into the project and if I had worked exactly enough...

15clie4.jpg

16v0cwd.jpg

As these were done I've continued bending some more tubes.....

1744fb0.jpg

18taiib.jpg

19nidxq.jpg

Archived