Heaven & Hell DeskCon Project

Quantor

Day 48

Another busy day....

As one of the sparkling water columns was destroyed I was forced to get a replacement....

First a Phot of the destroyed one...

1j3lde.jpg

Now the new and the old one next to each other....

224b34.jpg

3krzg5.jpg

But before I was modifying the new column again, there was other work to do....

As the used Radiators were not constructed for use with acryllic tubing if fans are installed I was forced to modify the fans a Little bit to make the Monsonn Fittings fit......

4f4xwk.jpg

69uz7b.jpg

759luc.jpg

81dxya.jpg

9cnb4y.jpg

100cl87.jpg

11svaoy.jpg

12ffbdh.jpg

Time to move on with the tubing... A passthrough through the middle wall was needed: So I used a pen and placed it in one of the connectors on the balancers... and pressed it vs. the wall to mark the point for Drilling a hole....

13eezd7.jpg

14j9xws.jpg

1594zay.jpg

16ppzfa.jpg

17b4xg1.jpg

18umx6s.jpg

...then mounting a short acryllic tube....

19o2b3k.jpg

206gart.jpg

After that I've continued with the tube connecting balancer and CPU-cooler...

First using the Monsoon measuring kit...

21y2lkt.jpg

22fkyl2.jpg

23ymlce.jpg

then bending the tube...

2488yzd.jpg

25qpxvd.jpg

26isl8g.jpg

Checking how precise I've worked so far...

27nybv3.jpg

280jzps.jpg

Final bending and mounting....

29m1yyh.jpg

30kjxxh.jpg

One first leak-Test with a mixed tubing....

31ssy1d.jpg

32xnyps.jpg

33v2l80.jpg

Next bending a tube for connecting CPU and Radiator....

34j3loq.jpg

And also modified the fan on this side....

351yywt.jpg

Also I made the tube leading from the Radiator down to the sparkling water column balancer desk leg... but not connected it at this point....

3684avp.jpg

3748awj.jpg

38hql76.jpg

399nbbq.jpg

400hysn.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 49

As I nearly completed the first Loop for the Office-PC (Heaven-Side) on Day 48, it was about time to completly finish it....

In unseen (invisible) Areas I'm using normal tube to complete the Loop... The Reason for that is simpel: It gives me flexibility if I have to open the desk for maintenance or to move the table from one Position to another....

1r1pa0.jpg

26fodh.jpg

3rsq8b.jpg

44fqsz.jpg

57vq4q.jpg

As you can see on the photos the backward desk plate is missing on this Phase... Also therefore are reasons... 1. To test the Loops before "closing the casket" and 2. the backward desk plate Needs some more modifications later on....

Within the next step I moved the not destroyed water column to its final Destination and connected the alreadyy prepared acryllic tube to the Radiator....

6k2oe8.jpg

7sioex.jpg

After connecting all parts and checking them 10times it was time for the first flooding....

Filling up the column (having a fill hole at the top of it).....

86apq8.jpg

90kr9m.jpg

106pr6y.jpg

And then: Firing it up :)

11hurf4.jpg

As you can see the Loop was working fine... After running around an hour like this it was time for the next Phase... turning on the lights and the "bubbling"....

12znq1v.jpg

13u7ojh.jpg

142bofx.jpg

What should I say... the whole Thing worked much better than expected.... also if in this part of the desk only ths "small" Phobya DC260 pump is doint duty.... (no noise emissions could be heard from the pump compartment)

Also the construction with the small half openend tube within the column is working fine... Nearly no bubbles are entering the Loop... from time to time one is slipping through, but it's transported very fast through the whole Loop and flooded out of the System....

15f2pun.jpg

16ikq3m.jpg

17hbp7x.jpg

18nooec.jpg

19c2psl.jpg

206apka.jpg

21ldlxd.jpg

22dxx4c.jpg

23xkbgo.jpg

After the first Loop was running I've moved the temporary tubing to my gaming-Side (:)) and started also to use this one...

Temporary only, because the new column Needs to be modified first before it could be used....

24r6yb0.jpg

25ynyld.jpg

In this Phase of the project the left now functioning legs was not carrying the whole weight of the desk... to Support it I've used one of the old metal desk legs to take away parts of the complete weight....

Day 50

On this day I was working on the tubing of the gaming side....

Again a hole into the middle wall was needed....

Same procedure as the last time....

11glwg.jpg

2sky4g.jpg

3iqyqk.jpg

41yyyi.jpg

5o6zq9.jpg

6sfbhz.jpg

After this was done it was time to have a closer look at the SAPPHIRE R9 290x 8GB Vapor-X OC ...

Meanwhile I came into contact with "Liquid Extasy"... No, I'm not writing about drugs, I'm writing about a small German Company which is specialized in producing Watercoolers for everything... Instead of producing big quantities they're well known for also doing small series and custom designs... At the time Sapphire gave me this Card there were no coolers on the market for the 8GB Vapor-X Version... So I got in touch with LE and they've made me one for free (using the design later on for a small series)...

If you ever Need a custom design for your project, than give Liquid Extasy a try...

Time to Show some pictures:

7fxb1d.jpg

8jxlin.jpg

96sb3d.jpg

10pibjq.jpg

11dfzev.jpg

1260z0k.jpg

132vbpf.jpg

And for sure the Card with it's cooler was integrated into the Loop immediately....

14hxayd.jpg

15znbe6.jpg

16tblzz.jpg

For paying a Little Tribute to Sapphire I've worked a Little "S" into the tube leading to the Card....

17scz3w.jpg

1817bzf.jpg

19pnyfm.jpg

and so the next part of the Loop gone live.... only the new column and one tube are missing to complete it....

20albn2.jpg

21rwudf.jpg

22o9ug2.jpg

23u4uvx.jpg

24kxu2l.jpg

25csujw.jpg

Day 51

At this point something was missing within my project... the side acryllic tubes connecting the desk legs with the channels of the backward desk plate were looking a bit boring....

So after discussing this with some mates from one of the Forums I'm active I decided to integrate some Monsoon Lightports... This happened on this day....

First one more cable comming from the PSUs needed to go down into the "pump Chambers".....

After the wiring was done I've emptied the Loops and started to install the lightports....

14yqvf.jpg

23pqz0.jpg

387okb.jpg

4vep9s.jpg

5koqk3.jpg

6p9pxa.jpg

7ldqh8.jpg

89dqkb.jpg

After installing doing a short test....

9r1pu7.jpg

...and preparing the System for the reflooding....

103lprf.jpg

11fsogx.jpg

126zr81.jpg

13emqgr.jpg

14ncrzw.jpg

15mkpl9.jpg

16tzrme.jpg

1713qtb.jpg

18tkqsw.jpg

19vrrc6.jpg

Then doing the same again on the :)-Side....

20kppov.jpg

21zxu0h.jpg

228suef.jpg

23ejux2.jpg

24you5j.jpg

256pue2.jpg

Was easier on this side as the tubing there was still not working at this time in cause of the still missing new column....

Day 52

I've started this project day by bending the last missing tube for the :)-Side...

1lzud3.jpg

21euum.jpg

....and then mounting it.....

3hlu7s.jpg

4oju12.jpg

54zukj.jpg

And now it was finally the time to modify the new column....

First using the old one as a template for the height....

64ouqg.jpg

7lnuqo.jpg

The using the saw and the sander to cut it down and smooth it...

8hlu6j.jpg

Then Drilling the hole for the outlet and the fillport....

9wouxs.jpg

And as a last step placing a new tube inside the column....

10ueu8t.jpg

110ju0i.jpg

12gouec.jpg

After a 12hrs leak test I tubed the column but haved not moved it at this time under the table... only prepared it for doing so....

13txue2.jpg

Next I was working on the plexiglass-cover for the bakcward desk plate....

Idea behind it was to use a black Plexi which lets only 20% light through... giving it some kind of fake-mirroring-effect as everything beyond it is lying in the dark and gets only visible through the plexi if lights are turned on....

First I added a 3rd cable tunnel with a smaller Diameter to the wooden plate... then added the plexiplate and fixated it....

14k4uem.jpg

15mpu7w.jpg

Then copying the hole into the plexi......

16nsuvk.jpg

17g4u5h.jpg

18umu5d.jpg

19bbuag.jpg

20fxuw0.jpg

21esqlg.jpg

22e7pin.jpg

238hr9k.jpg

247qo5c.jpg

31mvo04.jpg

Day 53

As mentioned in a post above I had this litte "misluck" by flooding a board and a graphics Card... The Card I've destroyed was a R7 250 from Sapphire...

So I was forced to go back to my old R9 280x (which is overpowered for the Office PC)... Before Sapphire was sending me two Cards this Card was planned for using it within my gaming-pc... for that reason a watercooler was already on order...

So I decided to also use this cooler... and so I integrated it into the already running Office Loop...

But before the cooler needed to be mounted to the Card....

17yjvz.jpg

2tckuo.jpg

3opjra.jpg

4kujwj.jpg

5hoj92.jpg

6xikms.jpg

7jnjcp.jpg

8iykyg.jpg

104pkqw.jpg

9oekh7.jpg

Ready....

Now emptied the Loop again, integrated the Card and bended new tubes....

11wkk7r.jpg

12uoka6.jpg

1376kgr.jpg

15kijjy.jpg

164sj7e.jpg

and flooding again....

17ntjnn.jpg[/center]

14dkjn5.jpg

As I'm still using the small Phobya DC260 pump I was really surprised that it still was able to manage this Loop... Also if it's now more like a low flow System.....

Some Facts about the Office-Loop the pump has to manage:

1,50m normal tube

3,75m Acryllic tube

1x 360 Radiator

1x CPU-Cooler

1x Alphacool GraphicsCard-Cooler (well known for having not the best Performance regarding waterspeed)

2x 30cm Long Alphacool Cape Corplex Balancers

Not to mention the extreme high of 65cm the pump has to manage after the water is leaving the backward desk legs over the outside...

Also if it's a low flow Loop now, the temperatures are OK:

CPU (core2quad Q6600):

idle: 24° (after Systemboot)

idle: 28° (after cooling down from a 4 hours 100% CPU-Load)

Max Temperature: 36° (during 4 hours full load using CPU-Burner)

Grafics-Card R9 280x (without watercooling):

idle: 55° (Fan at 45%)

100% Load - Fan at 60%: 90°

100% Load - Fan at 100%: 79°

Grafics-Card R9 280x (with Watercooler - Low Flow):

idle: 36°

100% Load: 47° (after 4 hours full load using Furmark)

Temperatures are getting better by 1° if I have the "bubbles" turned on in the water column.

Widmen wir uns aber dem nächsten, größeren Problem mit dem ich zu kämpfen hatte:

Next step was placing the 2nd column under the table... For that reason I decided to use an emergency bottle jack...

This is necessary because both front legs needed to be placed in Position at the same time and the weight of the table needed to be balanced between them simultanously...

18azkeu.jpg

19dokih.jpg

As a last step I've completed the Acryllic-Loop and removed the last temporary tubes...

20qpjuf.jpg

21cjo9s.jpg

22pxowh.jpg

23o7q4n.jpg

flooding of the 2nd System was then on the next day as it already was late....

Day 54

Flooded the 2nd System.... Pictures are speaking for themselves....

1mukpg.jpg

2dwkjd.jpg

3trkij.jpg

4emkvx.jpg

5njk8o.jpg

6p4j59.jpg

7d7j8s.jpg

8wxjve.jpg

9fujwy.jpg

103akja.jpg

11gfkk4.jpg

1224j42.jpg

13s6jkz.jpg

14p0jcz.jpg

15njju2.jpg

16oejcp.jpg

17zak6a.jpg

180nja1.jpg

19j9jrj.jpg

20v2kee.jpg

21k9kva.jpg

22usker.jpg

23yxktz.jpg

24zcja0.jpg

Meanwhile I was receiving the announced Maximus Formula Special Edition Board as a replacement for the also partly defect Striker Extreme....

So time to replace the old one with the "new" one I got on eBay....

36bj9k.jpg

1vejht.jpg

2dykdt.jpg

4isjfp.jpg

5cojo8.jpg

6gvj0y.jpg

8yuke8.jpg

9uujwh.jpg

10vkjyy.jpg

11vzjut.jpg

Day 55

Time to prepare the Plexiglas cover for adding some spacers to put a glass plate which should carry the Screens on top....

1lcqge.jpg

As these spacers could not be screwed together with the plexi (in cause of having easier Access to the back compartment of the desk if needed) I decided to modify the plexi so that it will keep the spaces in place....

Was using the spacers as templates for the holes:

3ier45.jpg

41fpff.jpg

Used a combination of water and Soap to cool the plexi while Drilling it... so that it could not melt...

219qnh.jpg

5sxoez.jpg

63fp9p.jpg

7dkohs.jpg^

8dcp4b.jpg

9x4ow3.jpg

10qboqm.jpg

11v5ovl.jpg

1237ol4.jpg

Day 56

Constructing Foil-Keyboard / Switch Panel Version 2.0

Again it was time to have another look at the Switch Panels...

As material I've chosen 1,5mm thin Aluminium plates... and the rest of the procedure was the same as during my Experiment some weeks ago....

As the procedure was nearly the same I'm only posting Pictures on this process:

1p1o1e.jpg

24hr2g.jpg

3iqq2f.jpg

47qo8n.jpg

5i8q4o.jpg

6u4pop.jpg

7x3rnh.jpg

8qnogb.jpg

9puo8g.jpg

10lxqz3.jpg

113go5c.jpg

12f5qhq.jpg

13btogk.jpg

146fp73.jpg

15kmpre.jpg

16wio72.jpg

17p9qpv.jpg

18uxp4a.jpg

19qkqn1.jpg

20s5o9i.jpg

218nupt.jpg

22s2uo2.jpg

23gzufq.jpg

24zjuw1.jpg

25wmuxa.jpg

Day 57

During my Murphy's Day not only the column was destroyed but also one of the Touchscreens was killed... so it was about time to also replace this one....

Starting with a Picture of the defect one:

0bpuxz.jpg

Unboxing the new screen....

164ubn.jpg

2r0uxe.jpg

37jueu.jpg

and installing it into the project....

4bbut9.jpg

5csu5a.jpg

and a function check....

6a02uwq.jpg

7w6ugz.jpg

Another friend out of a Forum helped me out with his plotter... I've asked him to plot me a foil covering the backsite desk plate with my logos and the ones of my Sponsors....

I've received the final foil also on that day and so one of the last puzzle pieces finally reached it's Destination... ME.....

89vuat.jpg

Same again upside down and as you can see the Logo of my project Name are still readable.....

9ewu7k.jpg

Also received some Color filter foils from another source... so I was waiting on only one missing part to finish the project....

10r9u2z.jpg

Archived