Loramentum - A watercooled, wall mounted, portable rig

Maki role

Here are the pics I sent to the plating people, sadly I only had my phone with me so they look a bit anaemic.

670c12.jpg

8b93f3.jpg

79b08f.jpg

c847f2.jpg

The 50p was just for scale since I doubted they'd be able to tell much about the size without something consistent. Sadly I didn't have a ruler to hand, would have been easier.

And back from the platers!
740858.jpg

Dominator Platinum - Gold Edition
14e7fc.jpg

091317.jpg

85af7f.jpg

a03abb.jpg

c6ce1e.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Working on making the new GPU bracket, this is what will help to hold the graphics card in place once mounted.

Remove that old bracket asap
Vojuts.jpg

Template all cut out
au8ZIf.jpg

Eh, it's a bit rough at this stage
mpKkum.jpg

Looking much better now, still very rough though, that'll change drastically
0CnJln.jpg

Finished shaping things up
Dbt7O8.jpg

I don't have a workbench, nor a vise, so I whipped up this... thing to help do the bending.
toKf6z.jpg

After the initial sanding, looking much better already
6Ck91j.jpg

Forgot to taking a priming photo, so here it is finished. The matte paint fits perfectly with the black acrylic.
0iuHGA.jpg

mXY69V.jpg

Fits the graphics card quite nicely.
8kId8H.jpg

This riser is exceedingly long...
ExtgZs.jpg

bR5Y5T.jpg

2shY4G.jpg

wURmED.jpg

QIvQox.jpg

g5lgl9.jpg

The 24 pin cables will head straight into the plate nice and seamlessly
uSMq9f.jpg

All soft and cosy in there
yiYzB5.jpg

Handy mandrel set
urdpjy.jpg

This little shim was the last part needed to mount the GPU, helps maintain even pressure across the card.
6omp85.jpg

Popped everything together, fits rather well.
AYFeMQ.jpg

VkWQU3.jpg

The PSU is already hooked up to that connector, an extension will be running from the motherboard to that rather than the PSU itself. Should keep things very neat whilst also preserving functionality.
K4ezP9.jpg

Working on the stand.  It has the same kind of construction as the main body, being a sandwich of 10mm clear acrylic and 5mm frosted black on either side.

N3oFL4.png

Bit of an outdated 3D model now, but it'll do.

vKV6lw.png

zli35V.png

And making the flight case!

Step one, cut out some panels. Got to make use of the circular saw for this, didn't think I'd be breaking that out out any time soon.
yjp2hv.jpg

Step two, make the parts even and the same size. No workbench = ghetto floor setup
txaEEY.jpg

Step 3, make a ghetto box using veneer tacks. None of this stage is structural, the strength comes later. It's much better to build it as a whole box first, then cut it in half. That way you know you'll have two halves that fit neatly together. It would be a fair bit more challenging making two halves individually.
nbRJ6T.jpg

Step 4, used a jigsaw to cut the box in half, which was a very painless operation. Then I cut out the vinyl sheets and applied them. I don't care for the edges here as they'll all be under metal sections.
noET4l.jpg

Step 5, move to the kitchen to use a poorly constructed mitre saw to cut aluminium sections. Honestly was the best place for it, a thick wooden countertop with a lip? How could I resist?
TB1eHF.jpg

Added the top braces, which I had cut yesterday.
5dZmgf.jpg

I'm using sunken hinges, so had to cut out some sockets for them to rest inside.
2R5TGf.jpg

And fast forward to pretty much the finished article. Yeah I got a bit carried away and forgot to take more pictures of the process. It's mostly just a lot of drilling and riveting really. Here's the front
qDbffh.jpg

And the back
89tFs5.jpg

rh1E5X.jpg

I had been putting off remaking the 24pin for ages, finally knuckled down.

sA5kk0.jpg

6nSu4E.jpg

XNYXIb.jpg

I also added rubber feet to the bottom of the case so that it could be safely stood on the ground.
Ymg4bh.jpg

Next on the agenda was cutting the foam to size. I hadn't quite finished this as I wanted to finish up the stand first, then I'll be able to fully trim and attach the foam more securely. The lid will house a section for the stand, a mouse and keyboard, they pack away neatly under the top eggcrate foam layer.
6aPGEW.jpg

Cat approved.
uPwLul.jpg

Also need to add the fabric hinge cover, I'll do that when I've finished the stand.
liRpSJ.jpg

I've just been so unbelievably busy over the last few days, better get this log all finished and posted!

Working on the 8-pin and the GPU PCIe cables:

All crimped up

kBwBRO.jpg

This is how the cable will sit with the 24 pin

HGcvQu.jpg

And sleeved :D

5RnH11.jpg

Since every part of this cable is on full show, I had to be sure there were no errors

2qTTCy.jpg

And this is how it'll sit.  The lighting is a little off on the sleeve here as it was reflecting the view from the window, it's much warmer in person.

F9K5Zl.jpg

QqfK3S.jpg

uIFf6t.jpg

Painting the PSU fan and the SSD edges, also started working on the stand too:

d4dRV2.jpg

FDl5Nv.jpg

After a bit of coaxing it popped right off

ACCnpX.jpg

I used a very thin coat, just enough to get even colour.  This won't be affecting performance any time soon.

nCCtK8.jpg

This took more time to mask than I'd care to admit

0LgAoY.jpg

7YiIsY.jpg

tMgzde.jpg

O63RDT.jpg

GcTUGR.jpg

ZhwI8k.jpg

yyYaUj.jpg

Pv7gVn.jpg

9AkMnt.jpg

swciKH.jpg