Eskimod 2.0

Todd K

Holy weekend of cutting and sanding.  I had to go buy a mask today since I could still smell acrylic dust this morning, yuck.  But shaving it down to perfection is it's own reward.

panels009_by_tkrep-da131hr.jpg

panels010_by_tkrep-da131jn.jpg

panels011_by_tkrep-da131jd.jpg

panels012_by_tkrep-da131j4.jpg

panels013_by_tkrep-da131iz.jpg

panels014_by_tkrep-da131it.jpg

Inside and outside side panels are cut and ready.  Just need to work out the screw positions and drill, then I can assemble the base frame.

Printed off a template of the EE logo.  I'll tape it to several layers of acrylic and either sheet metal or aluminum and cut & shave that down as well.  Also needed it to figure out the positions of the screw holes.

panels015_by_tkrep-da131ij.jpg

panels016_by_tkrep-da131id.jpg

panels017_by_tkrep-da131i3.jpg

Hopefully will have the base frame and mobo tray all screwed together tomorrow and be ready to cut out the remaining panels of the outer shell.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weekend incoming.  Just thought I'd drop a quick shot of the parts that have been accumulating for the build.  Might have the basic shell done this weekend and be ready to start mounting parts next week.  Hopefully.

parts001_by_tkrep-da1jgny.jpg

Big thanks again to the sponsors of this project.

footer.jpg

Final shipment of supplies got sent out today.  Very exciting!  Need to get the remainder of the shell in place.  Starting with the bottom and attaching those MnpcTech case feet.  Super classy looking and sturdy.  Loving how it looks on the project!

casefeet005_by_tkrep-da1neqe.jpg

casefeet004_by_tkrep-da1neqb.jpg

casefeet003_by_tkrep-da1neqp.jpg

footer.jpg

Well, hoping to get the rest of the acrylic shell knocked out this weekend.  Presuming of course that my dead lawnmower doesn't take forever to fix up.

Motherboard tray is mounted.  Clear polycarbonate sheet.  Hoping it gives the motherboard a bit of a floating effect after mounted.  We'll see how that turns out.

mobotray008_by_tkrep-da1puxd.jpg

mobotray009_by_tkrep-da1puxk.jpg

mobotray010_by_tkrep-da1puxo.jpg

Screwed directly into the aluminum frame with a bit of lean on the side panel for additional support.  Will be wanting to create a 'shelf' for the motherboard though to help take some of the stress off of the screws.  Can never be too safe, right?

footer.jpg

Well, didn't get as much done this weekend as I was hoping, but on the upside I did fix the mower (eventually) - YAY!

Got the back side panels cut.  Haven't screwed them down yet.  Still need to sand them down a bit for a better fit.  Got the inside panels for the rear deck built.  I have enough room there to add another radiator at some point if I choose.  Right now I'll just stick with the single 3x120 in the front.  For now putting the 3x140 fans in the back and custom fan grills.

reardeck001_by_tkrep-da1y21i.jpg

reardeck002_by_tkrep-da1y225.jpg

reardeck003_by_tkrep-da1y223.jpg

reardeck004_by_tkrep-da1y21x.jpg

reardeck005_by_tkrep-da1y21n.jpg

Will need to cut out some ventilation for air (clearly) in the deck panels.  Also wanting to get some mesh to put between for a dust filter.  Will need to print the 3rd fan grill.  I'll tackle that in the morning.

footer.jpg

Cutting panels, slowly but surely.  11 to go as of today, 4 more cut before I had to run out.  7 left.

panels022_by_tkrep-da2dxt9.jpg

panels023_by_tkrep-da2dxu2.jpg

panels024_by_tkrep-da2dxu0.jpg

Reprinted all of the bases for the fan grills.  Found there's a discrepancy between the software and the printer of 1.016 percent.  Might as well take the time now to get it correct.

panels025_by_tkrep-da2dxtt.jpg

While I'm at it I'll make a removable fan filter accessible in the back.  Should just be able to pull this panel and slide it out.  This is where all of the air intake will be, so it should work out well.

panels026_by_tkrep-da2dxto.jpg

Glamour shot.

panels027_by_tkrep-da2dxtm.jpg

Designed a support to go under the bottom acrylic panel.  Between the PSU, HDDs and SDDs there could be some bowing if I don't.

panels028_by_tkrep-da2dxtj.jpg

And anyone got any suggestions for cutting circular holes out of acrylic?  It will be 3x3mm deep.

panels029_by_tkrep-da2dxte.jpg

Yay!  Panels are finally all cut.  Window is TBD.  Need to do some figgerin' on how exactly I want it installed.

Will be getting screw mounts in place this weekend and carefully tracking my final package of parts.

panels030_by_tkrep-da2j1zo.jpg

panels031_by_tkrep-da2j1zx.jpg

panels032_by_tkrep-da2j1zt.jpg

Well it turns out I was able to get the cutting of the holes in the triple 140 fan grills figured out.

reardeck006_by_tkrep-da2kprg.jpg

reardeck007_by_tkrep-da2kpry.jpg

Ole mister reliable dremel saved the day for me.

reardeck008_by_tkrep-da2kprp.jpg

And how to sand down the inside of a circle?  Well... how about an old wine bottle, sandpaper and some masking tape?

reardeck009_by_tkrep-da2kpsk.jpg

Okay, it's finally time to break out the shop vac...

reardeck010_by_tkrep-da2kps9.jpg

And the first look at that green acrylic.  These will really be hidden in the end, so it won't be a big issue if a couple of minor scuff get on them.  

reardeck011_by_tkrep-da2kps4.jpg

footer.jpg

Good progress this weekend.  Got the panels cut for the rear deck.

filter001_by_tkrep-da2r94q.jpg

And the filter inset between the gold panels.

filter002_by_tkrep-da2r957.jpg

And ran a quick test of the rear deck fans here.

reardeck012_by_tkrep-da2r94v.jpg

And got all of the panels attached (finally).

panels033_by_tkrep-da2r9pp.jpg

panels034_by_tkrep-da2r9pt.jpg

footer.jpg

Archived