Ali Abbas

RAGNAR`S REVENGE, THE VIKING COMPUTER

SCRATCH BUILD:

3x German Champion Scratch Build 2015. :happy7:

One thing I would like to mention before hand is, that this build, just like all my builds is a 100% handmade creation.

No CNC, 3D Printer, Laser or Waterjets at all were used. No automatic tools, only hand held tools were in use.

Hi everyone. Her is my entry Scratch Build for the CM World Series 2016.

It is a theme I always wanted to build and when the new Vikings series started it was actually the kick start for this one.

The vikings are omni present even though they actually only pillaged and plundered and stole and murdered in historic time window of approx. 230 years. after that they managed through settlements and adjusting to simply flow and blend in with the rest of europe.

The settled down, made deals with certain kingdoms, truces and land owning as well as trade started and thex even converted to christianity. All this and the flow of history in general led to them simply diminishing in the wake of a new era.

Nevertheless, they ahve left a mighty legacy and by god its one worth telling about.

Amongst the stories we are told, many legends and heroes as well as myths and mysteries were created and still are being discovered.

Many lies and legends like the helmets they were supposed to have worn were created by none the less as Wagner and other myths like they even had horns and wings on them were concocted by hollywood for entertainment.

Many things can be relied on as factual though, like the rights of women as somewhat equals, the very functional but rational and some times radical but very efficient form of democracy, as well as the stories and there with growing legends of brave warriors and expediteuers and adventurers who discovered the americas long before Columbus and Amerigo did.

This case is not dedicated toa a single legend but to all of them, with all the heroes and heretics, whether brave or bad, whethere true or untrue.

Its was however very much inspired by the historcally true but at the same time drenched in mysterious tales of one Warrior.

His name was RAGNAR LODBROCK.

May the modding begin.  :evil4:

post-48273-0-16323800-1454505436_thumb.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to see the final build,

Good luck.

thanks buddy, and here goes with the first pics.

here we can see the first real chore my idea was up against, how to hide modern hardware and electronics in a case that should look as if it just sprung at us fro9m between the year 790 and 1066.

the doors open via an electrik motor of course but just because they are being pulled via chains while under closing tension through the springs underneath.

i wanted to get in as much VIKING style technology and make it visible as possible. more to come..

PICT1200_zpsbnjowtdg.jpgPICT1201_zpskpismrac.jpgPICT1202_zpsptrod4jy.jpgPICT1203_zpswgdo7nmu.jpgPICT1204_zpss8l9gjyy.jpgPICT1205_zpsckjflv2p.jpg

PICT1199_zpsezfggfjf.jpg

PICT1206_zpsqip4llvc.jpgPICT1207_zpsxuenm0b9.jpgPICT1208_zpspghuzuij.jpgPICT1209_zpsstiob2j0.jpgPICT1211_zpsi2y22rig.jpgPICT1212_zpstk1opk6k.jpgPICT1215_zpsm7fleu5s.jpgPICT1217_zpsfzqt7pxj.jpgPICT1218_zpsncvpgmc9.jpgPICT1219_zps5x0hktd4.jpgPICT1220_zpsmwlea05n.jpgPICT1221_zpslln4bjrk.jpgPICT1223_zpsvxfrocab.jpg

so i then started the side panels which will hold speakers and fans. they wil swing out  and are motorised then. however i only want us to be able to see the mechanics in a somewhat VIKING TECHNOLOGY look.

for that matter , all the hardware in this case will be derived and hidden in the same way.

had to do some real serious mind geometry here.

PICT1225_zpsavyxbelh.jpgPICT1226_zps5tj4lxhe.jpgPICT1229_zps2lvvwscq.jpgPICT1230_zpsyti96o96.jpgPICT1231_zpsoxmsmk8j.jpgPICT1232_zps2bkpsiid.jpgPICT1233_zpsqevknz3k.jpgPICT1234_zpsaat20ph5.jpgPICT1236_zpskv8fs7oi.jpgPICT1241_zpsdazs1hcq.jpgPICT1242_zpsucewg7go.jpgPICT1243_zpsio9httgc.jpgPICT1244_zpsjf1jx5cp.jpgPICT1245_zpskn69wgi7.jpgPICT1246_zpsyabjckeg.jpgPICT1247_zpszuw1bl6z.jpgPICT1248_zpsqdqnbjyu.jpg

maybe the biggest hurdle in the way here was getting the geometry right so that the swing side panels both hit the inner case at the bottom front but enclose and shroud or drape it at the top with just 1mm play for later paint. that was a real b....h if you know what i mean.

but i did it.

PICT1241_zpsdazs1hcq.jpgPICT1242_zpsucewg7go.jpgPICT1333_zpsniubsklt.jpg

once they were made it was amatter of making a steel rod axle and getting it placed right so they swing free and bothe touch and drape over at the same angles. not exactly easy in hand made stuff.

PICT1334_zpsdxpka4fl.jpgPICT1335_zpsc5k6nhrs.jpgPICT1336_zpsb4nl1ibl.jpgPICT1337_zpstv2jqxwp.jpg

this hidden spring actually pulls the sides constantly back to the closed position. after mounting the dragon heads and getting in the VIKING TECHNOLOGY chains and wheel system mechanics, the can be pulled outwards till the stop switch kicks in.

PICT1376_zpsjtlsro3c.jpg

PICT1377_zpspoqpiymy.jpgPICT1379_zpsab9rsozc.jpgPICT1380_zpsx6eoi2s0.jpgPICT1381_zpse4z8jvv2.jpgPICT1382_zpsuiude2by.jpgPICT1385_zpsuhibvogu.jpgPICT1386_zpsgl6rajab.jpg

then it was time for the first test like in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5svjbeFSVM

Not sure to be honest - I tried to edit your last post to see if that helped.. but didn't.

I recommend to put the video's in a separate post - see if that helps. (And let me check with the web team on this as well)

Not sure to be honest - I tried to edit your last post to see if that helped.. but didn't.

I recommend to put the video's in a separate post - see if that helps. (And let me check with the web team on this as well)

thanks anyway, i hopy i manage the next videos.

hi guys, i carried on with some front and base work, her is the dvd tray cover for example which should also be a V shaped one..

PICT1681_zpshdcggmgc.jpg

PICT1682_zpsfzmqyzww.jpg

PICT1683_zpsciyskqqc.jpg

PICT1686_zpsrdpnuxpb.jpgPICT1687_zpsewucvcjs.jpgPICT1688_zpsymejokq5.jpgi then started with the base which will hold batter rams, they will be artistically converted into switches for on off and cd ejecting

PICT1689_zps6bkmexgg.jpgPICT1693_zps5gpkyyaj.jpgnow you can see the start of the top front which will bewhere the viking longboat bow would usually be, here i wanted a different eye catcher though.

PICT1694_zpsggzvufia.jpgPICT1696_zpskncqn3ov.jpgPICT1697_zps9hws2iyi.jpgPICT1698_zps2w24codd.jpgPICT1699_zpstdj6s6s7.jpgPICT1701_zpslfztulj8.jpgas i mentioned, these side mounted batter rams will be switches, all hidden if you dont know.

sanding and forming the front and top and base...

these next pics show all the grooves i carved into the whole case actually so as to make it look like it was all panked. i diddnt really make them perfect, just like a thousand years ago, all eye balled for the old imperfect planked look i wanted to achieve.

PICT0007_zps95vzyzvs.jpghere i started the iron fittingy which will be of wood but later painted to imitate middle aged cast or tempered iron fittings which hold it all togethere with iron rivet studs.

PICT0008_zpszq3dqhnt.jpgPICT0009_zpsyhsiamvm.jpgPICT0055_zpsr9kene8v.jpgPICT0061_zpsshhjarpr.jpgPICT0062_zpsdxy83l4r.jpgPICT0063_zpsteu7cd1u.jpgPICT0065_zpsse4xay4h.jpgPICT0066_zpsyjyazjpv.jpgPICT0067_zpswrbm0ohe.jpgPICT0068_zpsvlxtay7h.jpgPICT0070_zpsezrblzve.jpgPICT0072_zpsep08czjh.jpgPICT0074_zpsepcjlcfy.jpg

then it was time for some really nice eyec catching parts, swords, axes, lances, helmets shields etc.. which cover fans and other parts of the case. iused birch wood which is harder and better for such delicate work.

PICT0084_zpseub8puas.jpgPICT0085_zpskl1bm8se.jpgPICT0086_zpsbjqtjn70.jpgPICT0087_zpsixwbnzbv.jpgPICT0088_zpsy9msoy0z.jpgPICT0090_zpsitliusw4.jpgPICT0091_zpsibkamhoz.jpgPICT0092_zpsxmel32zc.jpgthe camera will be hidden under the elevatabel helmet.

PICT0093_zpstiblhhfq.jpg

PICT0094_zpsfsfcemh0.jpgPICT0095_zpsgbj5rfqo.jpgPICT0096_zpsutjkbi9c.jpgPICT0097_zpsbe9w51dr.jpgPICT0098_zpsbfny8plp.jpgPICT0099_zpsakklri11.jpgthe camera revelation will happen with this drawer bridge similat winch and lever system, via servo and potentiometere all hidden in viking style cog technology, eeehaaa, i love this build.

one final not before i continue, for all those who start saying hey what have the horns got to do with vikings, well you are absolutely right, absolutely nothing, a complete myth introduced by wagner the componost. but just like robin hood silver arrow, they are a part of the deal because every little kid thinks they had them now. in the beginning entioned also that the non truthfull myths will also find a place here; hence the horns too. i am sure they didnt even really have helmets, the gjurmundu helmet was probably also aquired technology which they assimilated. MORE TO COME....

Archived