Diesel Engine

Chris Howell

Finishing the Brass Panels

After waiting for a little while to get access to a milling machine, I decided to grab some engraving bits for the Dremel and do it myself. I already had my font and the antiquing fluid to finish the panels. So here goes...

I used a paper template to guide my engraving
AdD7MFSl.jpg

The engraving bit set that I had ordered. Worth noting that this is a first time for me
2nGNg4Al.jpg

Mid-progress
2FitPqtl.jpg

And when result when I was done. Fairly happy with my frst attempt. I'ts reasonably neat!
D6TklPrl.jpg

I quite like the contrast of the polished panel against the rough text
wIY3hBQl.jpg

When I was done, I moved onto antiquing the panels with this stuff
JN1e9Udl.jpg

I filled a baking dish with a 1/10 solution of fluid and water.
this shows the panels just as I added them in
cCKoTG3l.jpg

The panels after 2 minutes
Zeeqt4yl.jpg

The panels after 5 minutes! They went dark super quickly
Pm9meBhl.jpg

This is what they looked like straight out of the solution. And actually the colour is totally awesome. This would be perfect for some kind of destroyed/apocalyptic style build
MwBNJPcl.jpg

gBxZA6ml.jpg

I returned the next day and found a lot of the cool colour had flaked off, leavng a black and copper style colour
kxfao39l.jpg

ECRZTRwl.jpg

FINALLY - I used steel wool to rub away sections of the surface to reveal the shiny brass underneath
jFwmKs0l.jpg

The colours are washed out in this photo, but here are the side panels. I can't decide if I prefer the weathered panels or the completely polished ones.
j2SeMEdl.jpg

I gave the brass bolts the same treatment. 2 black (left) and 2 after the steel wool (Right)
HF9Drffl.jpg

Next Up - I glued the threaded spacers onto back of the brass panels and left them overnight
SW8zHuWl.jpg

A Close Up
KZvJuL1l.jpg

Assembling the case

With the panels finally ready, I was able to build the case and get it ready to receive components! Very exciting times :)

Let's took a look at the thing assembled for the first time.

The Front view
MlNAfyol.jpg

Left side
yOYNvSPl.jpg

Right Side
JqU90hfl.jpg

Back
fNGezVCl.jpg

f6zmjPwl.jpg

I'm really happy with the crisp edges and how well the panels lined up with the lid and base
7FF01NAl.jpg

6RzmdtSl.jpg

fPrvSsMl.jpg

The slots at the back are begining to call out for components for sure
ykEi34gl.jpg

So! - I'm nearly there. I'll be ordering my components very soon. Over all I'm really pleased with how it's looking. The lack of visible screws and simplicity of the panels makes it look like a real console - rather than a PC case conversion. There is also a certain charm that the real brass and real wood have that I can't capture on the camera. The pine still smells great and the thick brass panels are cold to the touch and give the case a really solid feel.

I'm really looking forward to getting some components in there and will update back here soon!.

Archived