[project] i-spider, a stacker mod.

_ferry_

Welcome to this project log, i stared with a coolermaster centurion, but while modding i found out it wasn't the case i realy wanted to use. So i already did some modding before i purchased the stacker case, with new plan's and idea's.

The theme of this case will be in spider and science fiction style, with a big robot-spider on the right side of the case. And spider-web grills on fan's/radiator.

I'm already modding for a few weeks, so i will give you a lot of pics, it could be a bit messy, because i made a collection of pics from the past updates:

This is the fanbus, it contains 4 potmeters, for ajusting the fan speeds.

full.jpg

full.jpg

The basic materials (only need for the plexi)

full.jpg

full.jpg

A picture of the unfinished knobs with some blacklite.

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

The end-result. perfect circles, they look a bit dirty, because of dust. The hole in the middle will be cleaned too, but i already found out it's a :) of an job :P They should be mounted on potentiometers, usually they need a 6mm hole, my idea is to mod/sand down the potentiometers so they will fix in a 3mm hole

full.jpg

about 1000 leds and 2000 resistors. I can't get enough, but it is'nt all for myself.

full.jpg

LCD working

full.jpg

The polished PSU, i know, you can buy them chromed, but polishing is free ;)

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Well, this print is the baybus. It contains 6 switches (beyond the contacts), 4 lm317's for the fan's, a delayed- flipflop, and a motor power circuit.

full.jpg

full.jpg

My dad purchased this one, including some very sharp drills. I think i will use it more than he will do:D

full.jpg

drilling time

full.jpg

After some dremeling :dremel:

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

The end result, there are some fingerprints on it, and the other cap needs a grill too.

full.jpg

I realy don't understand the guy who has chosen WHITE for a chrome fan

full.jpg

Well, this is my mom's place, hundreds of small bottle's with all kinds of paint. It's one of her interests.

full.jpg

full.jpg

the baybus front:

full.jpg

Ready to sandblast the i, the holes were drilled withe the new colomb drilling machine, i realy love that thing :D

full.jpg

Finished the blasting. IRL it's shining like thousands of small diamonds :P

full.jpg

full.jpg

After the polishing job

full.jpg

Like a mirror, what i wanted it to be.

Well, cool stuff has arrived :D

full.jpg

I've got no driving licence (yet) So i got this huge box at the back of my bicycle. People were looking at me

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Who likes screwing?

full.jpg

Normaly the mesh is mounted on top of the hole, so the edges are visible, let's change it by enlarging the hole.

full.jpg

Polishing.

full.jpg

Mounted again, now from the bottom, looks much better :rock:

full.jpg

I've cutted down the rail witch is used for the large type's of PSU's. I have a small one, and i want to be able to show that baby. :lol:

full.jpg

Time to get a better powerbutton, the standard one is not looking good IMHO

full.jpg

At this pic i made a alu sheet on the right side.

full.jpg

Used some bondo to get it perfectly fit with the plastic cap.

full.jpg

And the almost finished result, note the edges, they need to get full hardened, so i can use a sharp knife to get them straight.

full.jpg

Because the mod is in sci-fi/robot/industrial style, or whatever i should call it, the cables are important. At this pic you see i stripped brake cable, with a motherboard connector at the edge, on this way i will mount small cables. The are easy to bend, and got great looks. The colorchange in the bend is because i was playing with fire

full.jpg

Almost all parts painted black, only some panels had to be cut and get painted.

full.jpg

full.jpg

The polished sheet, this one will be some kind of cable guide, it needs the last step of polishing, but i ran out of it.

full.jpg

full.jpg

Maybe you were thinking this one would be at the front. No it is'nt

I've choosen the back because i won't use them that much, and the back should have good looks too.

full.jpg

Last shot.

full.jpg

This is the eheim cap (realy? ;) ) the sponge inside is just for holding the mesh, because i need to glue it one of these day's.

full.jpg

The polished zalman cooler

full.jpg

Here you can see 2 brake cable's being mounted.

full.jpg

And a close up. My fingerprint is visible on the polished alu ;)

full.jpg

A test fit (needs to be polished and mounted on the right way) of the mesh witch is also used at the bottom of the case, i don't wanna see the fan's. do you?

full.jpg

The rad mounted on top. I'm working on a cover for it.

full.jpg

1 of the metal sheets i made to prevent seeing the sidepanel beyond the mobo tray.

Wel, no updates for some day's. I had to get my previous mod ready for cebit.

If you see this case over there, it's mine:

thumb.jpg

thumb.jpg

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats amazing, it really is. i didnt know you could do so much to a case, my idea of modding is ''stick a cool drive innit, maybe a few led fans and the odd CCLF and job done! maybe i should get more creative like you, (or maybe i should wait for the stacker 2 :) ).

....but a great job documenting the hard work you have done. I'm very impressed. I am curious about something. I used the cross-flow fan in my "printer-to-computer-deja-vu" machine, and I'm wondering if you plan on using the fan in your machine. There must be something we can do with lighting effects on the blades to make it stand out from all those other cases using the cross-flow fan... :mrgreen:

Archived