Dark DragonBlade - Gear Up with EVGA project

Jonathan

Hey Guys!

I just recently finished a project for EVGA called "Dark DragonBlade". I was one of the lucky winners for their Gear Up with EVGA program. The project was based on the Overwatch game character, Genji. Genji's color theme are white, green and grey. Me, as a sucker for black and green theme, I decided to go withe black and green for this project.

A huge shout out to EVGA and Thermaltake for giving their full out support for this project!

Here's my first render/sketch of the concept that I had in mind.

jDAiaEml.png

elz4Ctzl.png

EpFRidsl.png

b4CY0l6l.png

OcMzoCTl.png

au5prxql.jpg

I chose the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 5 as my victim to be chopped up for this project (well, just a little bit of chopping).

3GCN656l.jpg

D4ZjiFjl.jpg

b85CyoHl.jpg

Here are the awesome goodies from EVGA. 

EVGA SuperNova 1000G Power Supply

32GB EVGA SuperClocked DDR4

EVGA X99 Classified Motherboard

EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified

UPDjQV8l.jpg

2j6DcqAl.jpg

vFCRlmDl.jpg

oDifT73l.jpg

s1yr1cLl.jpg

H0Ftfzql.jpg

BPioJHMl.jpg

z8mSOYjl.jpg

x3objwpl.jpg

MENEONjl.jpg

W1jYUpXl.jpg

cTbZGBUl.jpg

59ufcH2l.jpg

DdhLrBSl.jpg

jTVG80ol.jpg

lq7O8Tyl.jpg

JNwXLgll.jpg

73SggfIl.jpg

l7N130Gl.jpg

grxcCASl.jpg

Mldzt0Ml.jpg

vX61lsVl.jpg

YFbuz2fl.jpg

Let's start the gruelling acrylic cutting. For some reason, I went this route and decided to try to cut almost everything by hand, file the edges, sand then down before polishing them. And you will need patience. A LOT of patience. 

This is going to be a part of the PSU shroud. This was cut using a Dremel Motosaw, filed down to the cut lines and sanded. For this small piece, it took me days to get a perfect fit. All the pieces will be glued together using acrylic cement.

dPl6LU7l.jpg

xnIplCTl.jpg

kIbYenol.jpg

KjKEm8kl.jpg

bZuRidOl.jpg

m8PCKljl.jpg

z2vU3mVl.jpg

Mij0sCnl.jpg

U0JaKYyl.jpg

KAgBJC4l.jpg

Time to start with the front panel. Same story when it comes to cutting except for that I started cutting the sheet using a jigaw. Im using a black acrylic sheet for this, but I ended up painting it since it was glossy. 

GoYclpgl.jpg

ZoKkgbVl.jpg

After marking down my cut lines on the sheet, I used my jigsaw again to cut the piece out. Then used a hole saw for the circles. Again, this required me to have a lot of patience.

Da3kZw9l.jpg

Xeb9pbfl.jpg

The small logo, I used a drill press to drill holes down along the pattern of the logo, then filed it down. I used my Motosaw for some of the parts of it.

FrpiseQl.jpg

Hf6ATHal.jpg

wpgG98il.jpg

att1LRLl.jpg

lRdQGmvl.jpg

zvoJJ3Ml.jpg

fLaSb80l.jpg

Uleg4rwl.jpg

yMYCWXml.jpg

LvBGWPvl.jpg

3H97txIl.jpg

ZtQo8adl.jpg

mBUYWy3l.jpg

Now this is the part that I am somewhat proud of. At the time that I was doing this, I didn't have my phone with me to take photos of the process, but this, this took me quite a while to achieve. I used Motosaw on most of the cuts and a drill press on some parts. Plus A LOT of filing with needle files and sand paper.

2kUCUDTl.jpg

CT9BeXFl.jpg

This letters will be part of the PSU shroud.

wHCSkqAl.jpg

ftHTzGdl.jpg

JjxkNs6l.jpg

AXbFesjl.jpg

jgSuoFCl.jpg

w93NgQml.jpg

This will be the acrylic cut for the PSU shroud/cover.

mBvlvxVl.jpg

byDfao9l.jpg

Instead of screwing the cover on the case itself, I decided to use magnets to mount the cover on the case. It's a bit more convenient to use magnets in my opinion. If I need to access the PSU, I just need to pull the cover out. Saw a bunch of magnets on our fridge and decided to sneak them out.

tRpktsbl.jpg

auLHef0l.jpg

URH4ljYl.jpg

The time I was doing the PSU cover, I ran out of screws, button head ones to use. This screw, although long, was enough for the time being to hold the piece together.

jNC6unzl.jpg

TKB3fGLl.jpg

o2vz3enl.jpg

0Mzz49Wl.jpg

UaPfy0Xl.jpg

I needed to trim the one side of the PSU cover to be able to pull the cover out easily.

VdkCPsal.jpg

rCnV6v1l.jpg

The acrylic cuts will be glued on the cover like so.

YACwVXyl.jpg

tWpNfKzl.jpg

This will be the side covers of the case. Im using a smoke black acrylic sheet for these.

4U9f7j2l.jpg

2FmPM8Bl.jpg

jIXmIg9l.jpg

yZpKNNCl.jpg

NM8tVwOl.jpg

These will be the details for the front panel. 

E3UALKCl.jpg

KvNKUsvl.jpg

d2AdY4sl.jpg

3HNPyUul.jpg

These were the details for the left side cover. It will basically have the logo/icons of Genji's set of skills.

z2DwKGAl.jpg

6DYGyz0l.jpg

n9Q7Frrl.jpg

a69oIxOl.jpg

XeToKNjl.jpg

PFJUikFl.jpg

pgbGwYrl.jpg

ILpmddEl.jpg

dacDLtWl.jpg

A year ago, I bought a CNC (Shapeoko 3), I used it a couple of times but never really used it that much because the bed is not levelled correctly (although I did everything I could to get the bed levelled, still no luck), and there were some software issues and compatibility issues with the software that I was using and windows 8.1. But after all the experience that I got from cutting those letters out and the logo, I decided to go back and try to get the CNC up and running properly. Which I did, but 80% of the time, it would suddenly stop in a middle of a job. Which takes back on using my trusty needle files, motosaw and jigsaw. I successfully made a fan grille with the logo of genji on it before it started to crap on me again.

m67ID4tl.jpg

Here are the goodies from Thermaltake that I used on this project.

kZvmZM6l.jpg

3gwAnUel.jpg

9oEzr4Yl.jpg

H29yWPPl.jpg

774kj67l.jpg

IK4HvvWl.jpg

Z3JaUail.jpg

Back to the motosaw and hand file cutting. 

TYBUP5hl.jpg

oWIXiV5l.jpg

kbQ0Vp5l.jpg

Disassembled the case to get the divider out to drill some holes for tube routing.

dXkIgiIl.jpg

OL5DaQPl.jpg

Pdz3X1Hl.jpg

4fJqTG3l.jpg

9bTksldl.jpg

0hiR3OGl.jpg

NOCK6rAl.jpg

0aB4Escl.jpg

After a few weeks, I decided to give the CNC a second chance. I was thinking of doing some custom reservoir brackets from acrylic as a test piece. Again, it did work, but in this photo, you will see what I mean. Sometimes, the CNC would decide that it's getting sick and tired of following the gcode that is being given to it, and instead, it'll roam around and explore some areas that its not suppose to explore. The first brackets, the first piece was fine, but the second one got screwed up. My CNC gave it some attitude.

Mdkl8nFl.jpg

Well, I will continue the log tomorrow since it's getting late here. Stick around for the 2nd and final photos of the project tomorrow! Ciao!! :)

Hey Guys! let's continue the work log shall we?

For the custom reservoir bracket, I needed to redo them since the CNC screwed it up. It was almost perfect though. And even though the CNC did the job with no issues, I will need to redo them since the brackets were too short.

I need to at least have an inch and a half more of height for the reservoir brackets.

8Kjxt9Cl.jpg

yh0ehQBl.jpg

So I tried the CNC again since it almost got a small job done, then after it did successfully cut the new custom reservoir brackets, I then went ahead and tried to abuse it a bit more. I tried to make some cable comb. It actually did complete the job this time with no problems at all! Looks like I will finally be able to get the CNC running more efficient next time. Just need to do some more tweaking!

t68akWGl.jpg

NIkoquKl.jpg

SzFlpDVl.jpg

uQwBbuZl.jpg

ZTq7nwyl.jpg

0nhjldAl.jpg

And then after that, I moved on to do a little modding with the motherboard. Took this beautiful heatsink and painted it matte black. 

ydwYRb3l.jpg

K6q4Drzl.jpg

BcGtmJ6l.jpg

dGWTwkZl.jpg

7Lx4hRwl.jpg

k31UFLxl.jpg

Proceeded to paint the SSD mounting brackets too since the weather was a bit better than normal.

CAIuy8Ol.jpg

Dr9Nxnel.jpg

The following weekend (i think), since I got the CNC to do a complete job without any further issues, I tried if it will crap out on me if I try to give it a bit more complicated patterns to cut. Well, it actually did not! There were still a few minor issues that needs a bit more tweaking.

wT6EgYRl.jpg

And while i was at it. decided to design and make a custom GPU backplate for the project. I needed to redo the back plate in the end since I encountered 2 interference when I was test fitting it.

q97tQXll.jpg

MH5ZKejl.jpg

This was the back plates that I ended up using.

nrSpgi9l.jpg

Its time to put the GPU water block! After taking the cooler off from the card, I almost didn't want to put the water block on it. The damn card actually looks sexier. Stared at it for a couple of minutes until I realised I needed to put the water block on it or else I wont get anything done on that day.

Cdb1AWtl.jpg

rI5yrr4l.jpg

Jox9TEol.jpg

This photo, for me, is just mesmerizing to look at..

2qVUK0Gl.jpg

Sdre10Tl.jpg

Did a custom sticker for the Thermaltake Riing 12 fans  that I will be using for this project. 

CLJpYJGl.jpg

Test fit!

1CqMrWvl.jpg

This will be the top panel. 

JuJoVYal.jpg

Some more additional details for the side covers that the wife suggested.

TGlAYUYl.jpg

QODUycrl.jpg

FFW4DWWl.jpg

Some additional details for on of the PSU cover.

oX907Hvl.jpg

And after a few months, I finally got the project completed. This took me almost 7 months to complete. This year was A LOT busier for me than what I expected. 

oVryOUWl.jpg

bT75HUKl.jpg

O1oyh9ql.jpg

7t9F3vvl.jpg

93sOhOol.jpg

YY4Xglql.jpg

9JGphExl.jpg

Qj9Bhv2l.jpg

JsFox27l.jpg

tCzBodll.jpg

WlcgdMHl.jpg

cYpIQUGl.jpg

v3Ds8ral.jpg

TL0iYl4l.jpg

X4KkI5Wl.jpg?1

tGDbVTsl.jpg

Ri4Tkh7l.jpg

Lxx5j5el.jpg

oI6Pbxml.jpg

DnOh2AGl.jpg

4dxv8Fxl.jpg

wxB1fKll.jpg

1wMyPyyl.jpg

8Ryq2zOl.jpg

CeGGEFEl.jpg

oVkTM0Ul.jpg

QbDAz1kl.jpg

C6qLKeRl.jpg

86TGqRYl.jpg

PFJsqRal.jpg

fT8XVi7l.jpg

cF35Wa6l.jpg

T9P0N8jl.jpg

xeJnn06l.jpg

Again, thank you very much and a huge shout out to all the sponsors for giving me their full support for this project! The reps from EVGA and Thermaltake who provided assistance with this project were just phenomenon! Never heard a rep that would actually reply on emails on 2 in the morning on a damn weekend!

And there it is guys! Hopefully you liked it! And if you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment. Have a great day guys and keep the mod on! For me, I guess its time to move on to the next project.

MrLrkw1l.jpg

Or maybe not......

Ciao! :grin:

Archived