Clean Slate

Jeffrey Stephenson

Hi. My name is Jeffrey Stephenson. I have been a member of these forums since 2004. I design and build custom computers as a hobby in my retirement. This my 7th Cooler Master mod contest placing a first (2009) and a third (2011).

This build forgoes the single monolithic design of a modern computer case. Instead, each major air-cooled PC component has its own cover. The birds-eye maple plinth encloses the motherboard, storage drive and wiring. The slate gray painted covers are ventilated with architectural stainless steel mesh. The PC components are all small form factor mid-range gaming parts.

Submitted photos:

183.jpg

184.jpg

185.jpg

186.jpg

187.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Project Worklog:
003.jpg
Taped together a dozen or so 3 x 5 index cards so that they form around the shapes. 

005.jpg
Transferred the template to 1/8" 7-ply birch plywood. These openings were cut out with a razor knife and wood file.

007.jpg
Motherboard mounted to the underside of the plywood with components sticking up through the top.

009.jpg

029.jpg
Trimmed the case top to size and prepared it for veneering.

030.jpg
Motherboard mounting stud with nylon spacer.

031.jpg
Screwhead of stud on reverse is leveled with wood filler.

033.jpg
Prepare the clamping boards.

034.jpg
Two pieces of veneer are taped together using special veneering tape. This tape is water activated. When it drys the tape shrinks drawing the two veneer edges together tightly. 

035.jpg
Clamping or as I call it "bringing the pain".

036.jpg
Trimmed out the "holes" in the veneer and added a back to the I/O cover.

037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg
Added several courses of wood criss-crossing the ends like Lincoln Logs (ask your grandfather). Doing this creates the sides of the case.

040.jpg
The last course is a half course creating a ledge all around the perimeter. The bottom panel of the case will sit down into this.

041.jpg
Fit the motherboard to check clearances. The CPU cooler support bracket is temporarily taped into place. The bracket is the lowest point so the sides had to be built up enough to clear it. I want to keep this part of the case as slim as possible.

043.jpg

044.jpg

045.jpg

Archived