Proxima C

Cle216

Update: 

I've been working away meaning to an update for the past 4 days. 

y4mCXLowtAJwJzhxIxS7rclCvFHQYvmoGev-fmv-

I turned my attention to finally start lasering the Upper Main Frame pieces. This section of the case is where the motherboard and video card will be mounted. 

y4mPVk_DnRvFExRiA-3RozH-pyZyB9MOvqWUIgnp

y4m-rKjFiGdiLugqU8ub8a2vxuc4Wo-OlQNAzloj

There are 5 of these Frame pieces. 

y4mXo-dpyxHfbhfT4GBvBPXFoQfhLuNgq1223JCt

I mounted the Power Supply onto its plate and found that is was causing the acrylic to bend. So I went ahead and re-designed its mounting plate for added support and it is what is being cut here.

y4mn4fa-eX0zQRexUbI8bb0FNm9cMqSnCcGzIhby

My file was completely right and I was missing a cut out on the lower side in this picture. After some careful layout placement I was able to cut out what was missing.

y4mWENhaUnaWSERTvBHCFj49fb8k0qFIqsb2wNR1

With the new piece cut, it was time to mount the power supply. I was going to radically mod out the power supply but I took a step back and looked at it and found it quite appealing in its current configuration. 

y4mUlZvN34xB3OD9PvEoKKjdy1cKcwqPQU0KIo4A

Back to ThinkBox to finally finishing off the cutting for the Upper Main Frame section. I ran out of Black Cast Cell and I had to order another sheet of 4 x 8'. 

y4mt1t88vAIV7UMbpdKPT8QRlBle-hk_aljRZDOo

These pieces will Wrap the other Main Frame pieces that were shown above. 

y4mNy_QZtH9f9GmD7G4lv0uRpGsG8-QjhPJxfdOC

Current state of the build this past weekend.

y4mZY1OTd1ruXqIherxiD9ChZfn9MNSFpfGaP5d8

To mount the Reservoir, I designed in Solidworks these blocks. I thought about making them out of metal but material theme of the case is acrylic! This case will be about to hold 4 Reservoirs, though, I doubt it will ever truly see 4. 

y4mMzUTjrbSZGdG9vJId6RCFqEeAezMmnzX0aI7j 

Mock up and time to drill and tap. 

y4mOLBefgZo5Kg_7Qcfj1WqikQMGfM803uLIjrsS

Drilled the holes for the Res and placed the mounting block and marked for some holes.

y4mzJqWpSQ7Dz24gfSAi5xLDf2Oktmjo0IUft4WU

Had to add these washer, because the spacing distance between layers is 20mm. For the outer brackets to fit correctly, I need the spacing distance to correct.

y4my8gjEtrK_MQc0x6LWcDWK-V96PvVnU1I1Keqn

Outer Brackets bonded into place. These brackets holds the frames together and is the support for anything mounted above it.

y4mkWwlmXCYcaR3Xpfrs9z_R4ztLRVE2l4EacXM3

A view of the Res mounting block. What also can be seen here is that I need a 90 degree power supply cable! 

y4mkkHnoyXdAExr5GS5kCO4K1gFTtgQDc2IuQ_55

Current state of the build with one Reservoir mounted. 

Until next time:dremel:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weekend Update.

I've been working away on 3 projects so my time has been limited on work log update. The work hasn't slowed down on Proxima and I'm nearing the end of construction. 

I'm also going to updating the work log with design renders from Solidworks. 

y4mrIN_Ia0CXAcH36i3y9u8Hnw2f27m6UHT4Ctx2

Got the motherboard plate cut out. Drilled the holes for the brass supports and marked off where the main frames are suppose to be bonded into place. 

y4mrIN_Ia0CXAcH36i3y9u8Hnw2f27m6UHT4Ctx2

This was a tricky task of bonding. I should have created a jig. The whole Main Upper Frame will be supported and bonded by many pieces holding it together. 

y4mF68WCch4_Z-KWlKMB5WvVv-8U4csLOUObxMqV

My spacing tool. :eyebrow: 

y4mE-LLtVL1Eo9B6z5hOh3BzWbExvB0XQpErRqSL

Got 4 frames bonded in place. The next step is to bond and mount the Side Frame pieces. 

Solidworks Design Renders

y4mlp4wqbzboNehoPGpWMgvI_NMZ7RDl0TqagQh5

The Radiator Assembly

y4mBOFNSlmr-k6LMkaWueGG-yTPZvNzktEJORlVR

A head-on view. 

y4mHO6EYlhrgB_neLRr29g3OO1b_Icxkc2WlIhoz

Middle Frame Assembly. The mock-up on the power supply. I wish the modding community had a more vast library of CAD files online. 

y4mRjUUU0xmLJXMGQVe8rYTDUyRLZY2w_xNQIr6f

A head-on view. 

I think one of the really cool aspects of this case that makes it unique is that when you change what angle you're looking at the case the look and feel of the case changes. 

I like to think of this design as a free-flow design. In trying to blend complex with simplicity while also trying to achieve good performance from the parts in the case. 

I use to bury my radiators in my case and try to direct the airflow. This case is a big departure for me because now the radiators while buried are very open to air-flow. It will be interesting to see what type of lighting effect the case gives off when finally powered up. 

Until next time:dremel: Thoughts??

Trying to get the case done in the next week and half so I can get professional photos taken of it. 

y4me2Whr5ZDwfWni3v9dvSoTjcKF3OLjf9OEaobW

Ran into a problem! The Upper Main Frame where the motherboard sits causes the Middle Frame Section to sag and bend. I had to go create these extra bracket support pieces. The design looks good in Solidworks, but in real life, not as planned. 

y4mI-67HkYtzBGyVTUZWX3ul3K7IKbjHZP3OpCZ1

Placement of the bracket pieces. 

y4m_GNjvQrGjB9SakG2FQR-o7NAJAHoJsx3qDhVR

With the Upper Main Frame sitting stable, I was able to finally go ahead and start mounting the Outer Frame Side pieces. These provide additional support to rigidity and stablility. It also gives a certain aesthetic look to the case. 

y4m_AwUqb4d4Tn-gfEQq7-oanx7ugfCdFFZFztYb

I had to take into consideration about installing and un-installing part if I need to. 

y4me9P4LiW5_fZtxJ1bGl9MaE8jm-g_IcEhnsrW7

Originally the front of these were straight but I re-designed and put a triangle design onto the front for a better look. 

Until next time.

Got to work last night bonding the brackets for the Upper Main Frame assembly. 

y4mepEXdHpwseRV1_kj3Ci3xFmjZezw-yYqh3xbp

y4mCBKc7MLtcV7jSSSffdxYFduf7Bi0n8AVYn0XJ

I was originally going to re-design these so that a bolt would hold the Upper Main assembly into place with this bracket. I ultimately decided that the Upper Main assembly would sit into place in the bracket without any bonding or fastening. The fit is pretty tight into the slots. 

y4mIeOmjM5D_mKw8TW_SqwYj9jN4gMc7rQWSrg3Y

Bonded the first one and used these spare pieces from the pump support bracket to help me properly align and bond the other bracket. 

y4m7N1w4ZKirOFOQqadmPMVMIfOELlREGSs1R6v9

y4mRTROl8QRruCKPAtWbykfsFrLJ8i--5Znsv3nd

The Upper Main assembly somewhat fitted into place. Only 2 of the main frames are used in the bracket. The other 3 float in the air and are supported together by all the other pieces. 

Until next time:dremel:

Hello! Closing in on the final week of building before the May 3rd deadline. On the list that still has to be done is sleeve the power supply, finish mounting some hardware, run the rigid tubing, finish bonding the Upper Side Frame pieces, photography, and assembly.  

Went to Microcenter over the weekend and picked out my motherboard. With the results of AMD Ryzen and its cost, to me it was the only logical way to go with my next system. 

y4mNW_wMwRg7fjKllqYQ8bwAiujv_3bPxVxOLUPI

I've always had Asus products in my build. IMHO, there great products that hold up over time and I've had every little issues with. 

y4mgILoDDhTn2gjlW4u8kFwTfbyD9wyDV0A4NRbJ

Second pic with my GTX 480 video card:worried:. Old technology. I just don't have $500-1000 to drop right now on something top of the line. I had an SLI setup in SSR-X so I just pulled the second card for this build. 

y4mgILoDDhTn2gjlW4u8kFwTfbyD9wyDV0A4NRbJ

I spent the good part of last night peeling off all the acrylic protection covering for the middle frame assembly. I need to bond into place these support brackets, so I figured what the heck lets get this over with now. Busy week ahead, so I took an extra moment to save some time in the long run. 

y4maTKxJybAcqM_JML-B2xcrGugfQtuMphcq7T5i

I also bought some Air Blaster cans. There is dust and stuff all over the case. 

You can start to get a glimpse of what the case will look like when the wrapping is all taken off. The black acrylic is actually transparent while the Red is more translucent. 

I did that because I wanted the light to shine through the black and reflect off the red. It exposes depth and shadow while still attracting your eye to the edges and providing solid barriers for confinement. 

y4m36Hzz1zmw99cLhb5oJgLQvLCc0LGgU9meGXJL

Bonded the top of the Main Side frame pieces into place. I actually flipped the whole assembly upside down. I'll be working on these side frame pieces today. Which is the last of the major components to be built out. 

Busy week ahead! Until next time:dremel:

I found trying to mount and bond together the Upper Frame Side pieces to be quite tricky. So I tried something new in trying to bond it together.

y4mg1CsB7qg_CDe-d5bqLyReMi7tq4BE3fHldNp2

Instead of having the pieces mounted on the case on than bonding it together, I marked the location where the support brackets are to be bond to the side pieces and than bonded. 

y4mNrL1Rsfn3ceIbjGBRl-F1j9FnrX83aJm2rzFr

Side view of the construction. I also used various pieces of material to help with proper placement and tolerance.

y4m9jiIbhGricz049q6sPIxskKVqO5SvxZf7GBRo

y4mtZSm1XjWJ5ydoRUM81l7bpiQWxp8llkoIdiwt

All 4 pieces bonded into place on the bracket. 

Problem

y4mieJt0xsm41YYnbCmxyfopgXR452pQmBQXAEpp

After mounting the assembly into place, I saw that the side frame pieces were not straight! In theory, it looked like it would work in Solidworks for mounting, it was the weight of the frames that were sticking out that was causing the issues along with inadequate mounting. 

y4mqwxErskqcsAoyO8-_yL1qQWStVSDWxErNi8Es 

Went back and added in another mounting bracket in the middle and check all my bonded connections. 

y4mym64Bose2QhbeTee6KI3UQc-rXrsrh5gmhD_V

Another pic of the problem. 

y4mhXBoHmp6XxsSjJ1SYzAvKTN3sBH77wyoH0td5

It came down to scrapping the whole assembly or creating a secondary mounting bracket.  I thought long and hard about both. I thought about a hanging bracket, inside bracket, outside bracket, though, I wanted a bracket that would flow with the case. Something minimal too. This is what I created.

y4m1a8fsmAI411-4lPRc3nyTk0BZSGZXwPYC5azv

Nice and straight like I want it. 

y4m5pPYmJWmlnVjRmFQdmZAyUURU9xcAWov48rlX

Next up is mounting the motherboard and the side frame pieces next to it. Than onto Tubing and power supply sleeving. 

Until next time. :dremel:

Closing in on the end of assembling the case. 

This past weekend I spent much of my time, sleeving the power supply and looking over installing the tubing. 

y4mrkIRHCoua7JnUHtnWzA47DzFM-THfPjWnYGlE

Bought these bad boys from Performance PCS. I decided to go with rigid tubing for the first time in all my case builds. 

y4mY3i7dqWZtKjmgoYGjUwlO1UCyNQlYMzFLgbrq

To contrast nicely with the overall look of the case. The colors will also let me follow water flow. Red being Hot and Blue being Cold. 

y4muoc8Su9n_-Yz6XMUC-FGndH8R_bUoX-PzP1m9

Installed on the radiator. 

y4m3cYHHoAAtWgMqZ9A8Ypo3RbNQj05lHlfS3mn0

Got the pump sleeved and installed the fittings. I'm going to look around for other connector tops to replace those generic black ones. 

y4mCtQv8jlO-fR5rAqHrSkHOjAMi2auO8XCFYmOD

Measuring out the cables and figuring out there routes.

y4mKgwNqiPxp7s92IpIC4i103GDjkHv0a1PuZD5t

y4m64UJgtrQlZBw5JLwsZTmRkDOVxn_e9fjZ0Hih

I used tape as marker for where to cut the lines. 

All for the moment. Until next time. 

The end is very close.  I've been very busy working away at completing the build. 

y4mOMcxmn7cI_a4zEzXMU6tk3MLoH94iMJb1rmSC

Got the power supply mounted over a week ago and sleeved the entire case. 

y4mN3XlLoRUrQgwWL9UPSZx7-5ddNcFTy096ougO

The hookup's for the radiator fans. Bought all three leads together to make one connection and reduce down on the electrical clutter.

y4mTz1-RJ_ezq2wwkscOfYLl65TstvJCRSWp_zOe

After sleeving most of the power supply, I started to work on tubing the entire build. This is my first build where I'm using rigid tubing, which, has become quite popular recently.

This is just regular Acrylic tubing from Mcmaster Carr.  

y4mJY__A694MvCNh51jQ2_gS-AkacKiBfTX63ptM

y4mh6Au1A6AdteWZxIdGR8v7kh_awJi6F7_1bY0n

Tubes inserted. 

y4mjH2IkNEOIgjnpjXSt-08m9PyaTqgOI0NhuGij

The area right next to the power supply is small. What you see here in this pic is an Extra Video Card cable tucked away taking up most of the space.

y4mRObxKIkV6asK1n13XJGgJdXliOyJyvANxLMXd

Than I ran into this weird problem. My ATX connector is not snapping all the way into place. I checked each connection and I also re-checked with the default connector I cut-off and it was kinda of tough to snap in. 

I'm wondering if it is either the board or my connector. Anybody else have this problem with ROG boards? If its my connector, I'll have to cut the connector off and re-do the whole thing. 

Final pics are going to be taken in the next couple of days. This is the render of the Main Assembly part of the build, where the motherboard and video cards will go.

y4mBTDMGDdImrHziWCDRJ5fXfhGw89SLHr8zM4mE

y4meJYgtjRzDgNvJ0-zmAGrLm3JSfI2MDoou-vph

When looking head on, the case takes a drastically different perspective and look. 

Archived