Overwatch Water Cooling Desk Mod "Dragons"

Wtomike

Hi, I'm Mike Wang and I'm from Taiwan.

This mod is inspired by Blizzard's FPS game "Overwatch"

Blizzard made a short animation for Overwatch called "Dragons"

The story is about two brothers, and their internal conflict about each other.

Inspired by the animation, I build a Desk Mod PC.

This build have an animation scene, and water cooling with Overwatch logo.

Please enjoy my build.

Finish!!!!!!!!

150856j7tew0tj0uwwcc1l.png.thumb.jpg

150858pm0m43m74glbznd8.png.thumb.jpg

150859qzw2223mbwzrb36d.png.thumb.jpg

YVUVlTz.jpg

3555cLM.jpg

w3Zv0Rn.jpg

_MG_6567.jpg

_MG_6588.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hardware configuration

CPU : Intel Core i7 5960X

MotherBoard : MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK

Memory : G.SKILL TRIDENTZ DDR4-3200 8G * 4 quad-channel

Graphics CardMSI GTX980-Ti LIGHTNING *2 SLI

Power SupplyCoolerMaster V1200W

GlE6gys.thumb.jpg.1e778613e0816c6f72cd0d442f07ef4f.jpg

1Design Concept

Through the e-sports game Overwatch theme, paired with PC components, water cooling system, and a lot of laser engraved acrylic, making a PC mod with e-sports concept. It’s It’s aiming for all games, gamer, and hardware enthusiast.

v6vv4Pi.jpg

Pink : Fan & Radiator    Gray: Reservoir    Yellow: Motherboard    Blue: Power Supply    Green : Hanamura Scene

wfaOoS3.jpg

FLeRGTU.jpg

Exhaust vent acrylic design

GLC6CTo.jpg

Tabletop acrylic design

jIfkfcX.jpg

Table legs acrylic design

5dAD5Gx.jpg

2. The building process for Hanamura Scene

This part referenced the design and interior layout within the actual game scene Hanamura. Although in the video, Hanzo and Genji duel in the corridor, not in the room, considering the figures is in a closed space, and the interior model is richer, so their duel is being moved indoor.

In the production process, walls and floor structures are being laser-cut, and the interiors are decorated by types of art papers and thin pieces of wood. The wood started to be dark brown, as according to the game, but it would be unnoticed with beige floor and walls, making darker it would blend it with the trim on tatami mats. After changing to a red-ish brown, the result turns out to have a bit more depth.

Something worth mentioning is the curved wood straps forming the eave shape. They’re made using wood bending technique, usually used on wooden furniture, making a little scenery in this scene.

STA93R2.jpg

ehJoU1E.jpg

1Eig0Iu.jpg

ghnWTan.jpg

HegM9S7.jpg

VyoPCwq.jpg

2-2. Details of the desk

All the character graphs on the table legs acrylic are all redesigned and redrawn to fit the design of the table itself, and not just taken directly from official pictures.

The hardest part of this must be the dragon tattoo on Hanzo. In order to achieve the best engraving effect, expanded graph of tattoos are found from the internet, overlaid onto the torso, and redrawn stroke by stroke. It’s quite some hard work, but the result of dragon tattoos turn out to be satisfying.

V9mHWDX.jpg

yv0HRXE.jpg

6ZLZ5Rg.jpg

b0pXZRF.jpg

2-3. Laser engraved acrylic tabletop

The double dragon on the tabletop is drawn with the same style as the Hanzo dragon tattoos on the table leg, but bigger. It’s also not from the official graphics, but they also turn out to match up pretty well.

fFOdtVF.jpg

2-4 Accessories

I want not only the case itself ,but also the peripheral is modded with Overwatch theme. So I put in some effort on the side of the desk, the speakers, and keyboard.

Acrylic fan shield with character skill icon from Hanzo and Genji

BsXFanE.jpg

Edifier S530D speaker with OverWatch Logo

DRxA6dZ.jpg

Custom made keyboard DUCK LIGHT SAVER v2

This keyboard only comes with PCB and aluminum case. The switches and key caps needed to be soldered one by one.

Cherry mx blue, green, and white are used for the keyboard.

The selection of key caps originally is GMK, but soon changed to OverWatch themed key caps from MassDrop.

In the end this keyboard costs around $1000

qdEuDPp.jpg

5OXsMLx.jpg

yhEPnQr.jpg

3. Genji & Hanzo figures makeover

Here comes the most important part of this PC build, the two figures of the main characters! Upon initial planning, considering the size and difficult, cute-version figures are decided. Making them with human scale would both be too time consuming, and they would look too small if to fit into a PC.

In order to fit within the timeframe, modifying pre-made figurines is much more efficient than starting from scratch. (Which is common when prototyping) I started looking for templates from mainstream nendoroids from GSC, and finally came up with two. Kogitsunemaru from touken-ranbu (GSC#525), and Iron Man Mark 7 (GSC#284) from Marvel

It just so happens that Iron Man figurines comes with Tony’s face, of which can be fitted on Kogitsunemaru as Hanzo’s face, and looks quite alike. However the hair for Hanzo has to start from scratch with putty.

From Iron Man to Genji is pretty straight forward, only some slight modification is needed. Although the figurines themselves are adjustable, but due to the modification process they became static models.

7ddPu8W.jpg

m7USRCL.jpg

whFHKmH.jpg

M8uNt26.jpg

k53nExx.jpg

tq6Iivr.jpg

aF30Q3u.jpg

I6zjTu0.jpg

jYQ5Crs.jpg

Si8uijs.jpg

jaPEWc4.jpg

M1nNVMR.jpg