High Voltage

retro PC mods

Introduction:

I've always had a soft spot for vintage tech, especially the type of things you would see in old sci-fi/spy films.

About 11 years ago I saw a vintage Oscilloscope in a flea market and I immediately fell in love with the design.

I purchased one soon after, with the intent to build a mod, and it sat in my garage for over a decade. Last year this project finally came to life!

Cooler Master Parts List:

MASTERLIQUID ML120L RGB TUF GAMING EDITION
JETFLO 120
ATX 24 PIN 90° ADAPTER

Specs:

Asus H270M-Plus Motherboard
Intel i7 7700k
Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce Titan Xp - Jedi Order Edition
Toshiba/OCZ 500 GB M.2 NVMe (OS Drive)
Crucial MX500 1TB M.2 SATA (Games Drive)
EVGA SFX 650W Power Supply

Pictures of completed work are posted on page 3 of this thread.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are pictures of the Oscilloscope, fully functional, unmodded, the day I brought it up from the garage to start planning the mod.

IMG-7084.jpg

IMG-7087.jpg

IMG-7089.jpg

Ready to get started!

This is what I started with, not everything in the image made it into the final build

IMG-7364.jpg

As I started to plan the mod, I decided that I wanted to have a wood base for the main housing. After spending some time at a home building store, I found the wood that would eventually be made into the base for the mod. The plan was to eventually make the box look weathered and old, which I achieved by using 2 different colors of Wood Stain and sanding in between coats.

IMG-7167.jpg

IMG-8681.jpg

The base will be attached to the top by using steel pipes. I set the pipes and main housing on top of the new wood box to mark where all of the holes needed to be cut, as I will have wiring inside the pipes connecting I/O ports on the wood base.

IMG_7847.jpg

IMG_7867.jpg

I had also never stained wood before, so again I watched a video online on how to stain wood and on how to achieve a distressed look with new pine. I utilized a multi-stain method, using Kona Stain, and Sunbleached Stain, sanding between the layers of different color stain.

IMG_8681.jpg

IMG_7923.jpg

Once the Wood Stain dried, the hardware was then added to the wood base, including the front I/O Ports, which included a set of VR Ports (HDMI + USB 3.0) and a set of USB 3.0 ports as well.

IMG_7931.jpg

IMG_7949.jpg

USB 3.0 Front Ports

IMG_7948.jpg

VR Front Ports

IMG_7947.jpg

This log is a little bit out of order, but I placed it here because it relates to the wood base. I wanted to add some sort of metal badge/plaque to the wood base, and as I was opening up a drink with my NVIDIA Bottle Opener, I had the idea to cut it and mount it on the base. So I bid farewell to it, thanked it for its service, and got out the rotary cutter.

IMG-8063.jpg

IMG_8057.jpg

IMG_8059.jpg

IMG_8062.jpg

The power supply is by far one of my favorite parts of this mod. I purchased an old residential power switch housing at an estate sale with the intent of using it as the power supply shroud for my mod. Inside it will house an SFX 650W Power Supply. The holes were cut for the vent, power switch, and the fan intake. Rubber u-channel molding was used to make the edges look cleaner and more professional.

EROI8893.jpg

IMG_7924.jpg

IMG_7925.jpg

HUJI5299.jpg

CBER1859.jpg

Archived