Jean R built - Da Module Thingy (Not sponsored, Handmade, it's the first time for me at CMWS)

Jean R built

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Episode 6 of the build log.

I'll be honest, this phase was a PITA, the 32 parts are done, there will be the finishing phase with the brushing before the end of the project but the structure is sound.

The parts were measured with the digital caliper to get them to a good level of precision, like Da Module Thingy all parts are on the 1 or 2/10 of mm tolerance, so even if it's not CNC level precision I consider it pretty good.

I had to recenter some holes by hand with a file before the last pass with the step drill, 9mm holes with a 10mm counterbore, cause the sleeve nuts have a small step under the head so it was easier to modify the holes.

Now all slip inside flush and well tight with no wobbling, there are some couples that are different from the rest, but that is what I wanted, so I keep the asymmetric theme of the case.

Have a nice day

54 minutes ago, CustomrigsDe said:

biggest repsect that you handmade all parts ! Handcraftlevel 1000 !!

I feel mad with my machining thing 😕

Thanks, and honestly I believe that creating a good 3D model to machine a project require skill too, it's just a different way of doing the same thing.

I consider making something art, the fundamental part is the idea behind the project, then you shape it to reality the best way you can.

Regards

Well today I crafted 16 more knuckles, yes I did, it's starting to look like I'm loco but I'm not :smilebox:

I was thinking about one of my future projects, it has a concept for it's theme that I'm going to use on Leetfoot with a twist.

I'm gonna try to explain it, the Leetfoot is just my starship's module dock for Da Module Thingy, that vaguely resembles a mech foot, that also vaguely look like it's the case foot when it's docked, so to speak.

And then the other day when sanding, cutting and filing, I thought that no one is forcing me to make the dock like it must resemble something that already exist, it already has 8 fingers.

I'm avoiding to have too many moving parts, as that could lead to noises, and from the start one of the main goal of the Thingy is to be silent, and right now it is.

But I also want to Implement a way to change a bit it's shape if I want to, and I will, that's why I crafted the new 16 knuckles.

All the knuckles will be used, the newer ones are slightly bigger and are going to be used to connect the hub to the fingers, as a consequence the fingers are going to be more segmented.

This way I'll be able to twist the fingers more, and I'll also be able to put them in a configuration that will vaguely resemble an octopus or a squid arms, I like them and I want them.

The parts will be kept in shape by friction, that's one of the reason the new ones are bigger, each knuckle will be held in position by 2 x M6 screws with sleeve nuts, the fingers should have enough strength and friction to avoid the use of lock pins or more screws.

This modification will influence the shape of the shells screwed on the fingers, they will probably be slender, but more on that in the next days.

Cheers.

So a friend at the bit-tech forums, told me that right now the fingers have a similar look to the Stargate replicators.

This is my answer.

Thanks I Googled them, and yes right now the fingers without shells can be positioned that way, and indeed look similar to the replicators.

I discovered them today, as I didn't follow the Stargate series very much, well I think that the fans will appreciate that detail of the foot.

As for the fingers design, at the beginning of the project, I wanted to have a Sci-Fi design that could vaguely remember how a mechanical octopus arm would be, but considering the time constraints I choose a crabby version.

Then when working on it, I saw the possibility that I could go with the original Idea so I'm pushing for it now.

I'll give them a finish that mix brushed and polished parts, it will have a vague jewelry/ watch metal belt vibe, I hope you will like it.

Cheers

Here is an update, I thought that a 3D sketch would help you get an idea of the new fingers, and help me to check clearances before bending and cutting.

As I said earlier in other posts the sections can be configured in different ways, in the sketch you can see the what I would call "compact" configuration, as it has the smallest footprint being stable.

Another thing I want to specify is that it is a fast 3D sketch so not all parts are present/visible especially the shells.

1046691896_LeetfootScreenshot(1)0001.thumb.jpg.bb07e7f4816de58923499a330720ef70.jpg

882564354_LeetfootScreenshot(2)0002.thumb.jpg.f74dde91cf0e0b0d899aa83537b58341.jpg

418890629_LeetfootScreenshot(3)0003.thumb.jpg.2412c1a61b87a204a4097eb113dd2495.jpg

1760964683_LeetfootScreenshot(4)0004.thumb.jpg.e518ebb39b8fed743eab3e37a3cce381.jpg

1266168604_LeetfootScreenshot(5)0005.thumb.jpg.a88c736d852ac6ad7a8575afa7db8c90.jpg

Cheers

Hi all

So here is the mid week video, this time there won't be any real working, as I spent the last few days just cutting the fingers sections and drilling a lot of holes, so it would not be that entertaining to watch.

But I put in the new 3D sketches, there is even the last one I made just before the uploading of the video with some added details to the support structure.

Like last time it's more a Concept than a full 3D model and it's missing parts, I don't need to CNC or 3D print it, so who cares.

Cheers

Quote from the bit-tech forums 31st May, 2020

Today I had to do a modification to the cable cover, if I mounted the new scales directly to the frame, it would have been impossible to have access to some screws of the top module, so I had to attach it to the cable cover so they move together.

Tomorrow I should be able to finish the scales and the reset button, the power button is already done, the new CPU should be in place, so even if the big fans have the LEDs turned off, the case should be complete.

Here comes the question, due to some changes to the design the case can't lay horizontally, and I don't think it would look that good anyway.

But I got an idea, I'm going to craft a separate PC docking station, so I can put the case on it at 45° because it would look ducking cool.

So even if I complete the case tomorrow, I don't think that I'll consider the project log completed until I finish the dock.

Now that the PC is going to have an iGPU and a GPU, I'm going to add a small monitor to the case, it could be useful for a lot of things, but I consider that a future project mod and not part of this one, because I won't be able to buy the small screen anytime soon.

Update incoming tomorrow.

Well in the last months I was scouring the web for good deals for my PC and my brother's PC GPUs, as you may know to no avail, I won't make the same mistake I made during the Bitcoin farmers GPU starve.

This time I will wait until prices get back to normal, Black Friday, Cyber Monday didn't help me in getting any GPU deals, so I went ahead and took the deals I found on other things and upgraded the RAM and now the LCD screen I wanted since May 2020.

So the time for my 7" LCD screen has come, it's touch screen too so If I find myself in deep space only with the Case and only a way to power it I can use it anyway to save the day 😎.

All works, I just need to move the Cooler Master RGB controller as now it's hidden by the screen, but I'm already crafting a small frame for it so it's all good.

Archived