Jean R built - Da Module Thingy (Not sponsored, Handmade, it's the first time for me at CMWS)

Jean R built

Hi all again and here it is, the new Episode is online.

I didn't upload it earlier as there was the release date of Cyberpunk 2077, so I thought that probably a lot of people wouldn't have watched it on Thursday.

Now I'm going to complete the Cooler Master Controller frame, cut the access to the LCD touchscreen on the acrylic shell and the aluminium spacer for the LCD screen.

Cheers.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here is a sneak peek at the back of the LCD support frame

705481479_LeetfootIMG_20201217_0139440001.thumb.jpg.fe2307766578e370bdbe2a1e6a240e38.jpg

and some photos of me while fixing the vise, at least after spending some hours fixing the thing, it works now.

This is the square nut of the car jack screw inside a frame made out of mild steel

DSC_0006.thumb.jpg.aa35a4ed5a4eba8210621278011f0f1f.jpg

This is the car jack screw used for the repair

DSC_0010.thumb.jpg.ee0dca6724c91e1034152c0c7a55351a.jpg

Drilling a hole in the screw for the locking pin

DSC_0011.thumb.jpg.50c4e8b3a0ebf68bc742327b66084252.jpg

Test fitting the new screw

DSC_0008.thumb.jpg.f7ae53e121e7d3ce944b460a3c4926af.jpg

The fixed vise with the new screw on

DSC_0068.thumb.jpg.cbc0328ad8f47bc41e22c64af49b38f4.jpg

Cheers

I'm adding some carbon fibre cable covers to the new aluminium frames

I used some carbon fibre scraps I have in my garage, yes I'm a petrolhead and I know how to work with carbon fibre too so I have some scraps in my garage. :toothy7:

382699468_LeetfootIMG_20201219_0128590001.jpg.e1287675d0ea95dbd92766d54ef50e0e.jpg

I'm doing a last mod to the cable cover/handle module, if I can I'll upload a new video of Da Module Thingy updated.

I don't know what I'll show on the little LCD, I'm working on a dedicated Rainmeter UI, but as you know I'm busy with Leetfoot.

I don't think that I'm going to get the interface ready in the next few days, but who knows?

Cheers

Hi all, the new Episode 10 is Online.

One of the Bit-tech friends Defyant Mods, gave good feedback towards the videos duration of about 4 minutes, so I'll keep them between 4-5 minute duration from now on.

This time you can see the start of the backbone that will support the case, the carbon fibre cable covers and the last batch of knuckles.

Within this group of 12 couples there are the 8 couples of bended knuckles, 2 couples @ 15°, 4 @ 30° and 2 @ 45°.

Have a nice day:toothy8:

Hi all,

The new Episode is online.

This time I worked a bit on the Hub and you can see the making of the new reinforced handle module, so from the plates to the handles, Da Module Thingy will have 2 handles when it's complete.

The video is slightly longer than what we planned, the main reason is that honestly I was expecting the new handle module to be a quick step in the build, but it isn't.

The "old" handle module was crafted using 1.5 to 2.0 mm or 1/32 to 1/16 inch thick aluminium sheet/tube, it worked for the normal axial loads as needed for normal vertical lifting and transportation.

With Leetfoot, the handle must withstand transverse loads when you put or lift the case on and from the dock, the "old" handle module wouldn't be strong enough and flex.

It may be possible that it would not brake, but it did flex I tested it, and the second handle help when the case is not vertical.

So here we are, the new module frame is composed by various parts, the 2 "mid" parts are made from 20 mm or 25/32 inch thick 6082 aluminium and those will be fastened to the Main frame and the Top crown.

The sides of the module that connect the "mid" parts to the handles are made from 5 mm or 3/16 inch thick 6082 aluminium, I'm keeping the "old" handle and the other one will mimic it's look but it's longer.

There will be a new cable cover, as now I have converted all the I/O connection to 1 meter or about 3 feet long cables so I don't need to detach the Top fan too often.

Then when editing the video, my brother told me that it wouldn't show much progress in 5 minutes, so it is 7 minutes long, this way you can get a glimpse at the new module at a decent level of completion.

Cheers

This is a clarification post I made on the bit-tech forum about the strength of the base brace thickness, I thought that it's better to post it here as well, in the last episode it was visible that it uses only one screw to connect it to the frame base.

As for the single screw I think you are talking about the base brace, but it's there just as a helper to avoid flex down there as the side handle is 480 mm long.

The thinnest parts of the new module are 2 sides x 6.5 mm.

Every screw goes through the 2x 5 mm thick aluminium sides+ whatever there is in the middle, all the screws thread are M6 but only a small part of it is 6 mm, most of the holes have 9 mm steel sleeve nuts inside.

It is very strong, this time.

And the Update about the progresses, I was hoping to have the new handle module connected today but I had a couple of stop and go.

The first one was that to be completely sure about the strength of the case, I reinforced the base where the new handle module connect.

The second stop and go was that a drill bit broke inside the base brace :violent1:, as a consequence I had to scrap it and craft a new one.

Hopefully tomorrow everything is going to be where it should be, and I can craft the new cable cover, after that I can complete Leetfoot.

Happy New Year 🎆

Archived