Jean R built - Piñasphere

Jean R built

Here we are, for me it's the second time here, the first time was with Da Module Thingy, this time I will join the fray with Piñasphere, my first 3D printed PC Case.

Had to learn a lot about 3D modeling before getting serious with it, the project took about 3-4 months from February to May 2022.

I wanted to experiment how far I could get with the design of a Computer case, from the standard that people picture in their mind when you talk about a PC, a boxy shape, beside very few exceptions most computer cases are based on a squared shape be it a closed or open air design.

It is asymmetric, because I love the movement given by the change in the lines, now it's more like a functional desk sculpture.

Even though it is watercooled, it is rather small 218mm for 168mm about 4 litres, and weighs about 2 Kgs, it can sit on almost any desk, the base also has a 75 x75 Vesa mount compatible hole pattern.

I didn't paint it because I wanted to reach a point in which it looked good that way.

The design allows for it to be used as an open air case or enclosed like a "normal" case, I like it both ways, it takes some seconds and you can change it on the fly, no screws just twist and "pop" the white domes out and it's open.

Right now It is my main PC, I wanted it to work for everything and the specs allow for it within reason, from 3D editing on Blender and Fusion 360 to playing at 1080p.

Some people might have already seen it on Custom PC Issue 228, raspberrypi.com, cowcotland.com, other sites and or YouTube.

We will record a new video specifically for the #CMWS22 that will also include the Cooler Master Watermarks.

Here a 3D model of the Case:

NOT SPONSORED

Specs:

Mobo: Asrock Deskmini X300M-STX

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G

CPU Cooler: AIO Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L V2

Fan: Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM

RAM: Corsair vengeance SoDIMM 2x32Gb at 3200 MHz

1st & 2nd SSD: Samsung 980 M.2 1Tb

3nd SSD: Samsung 860EVO 2.5" 250 Gb

WiFi: Intel WiFi 6 AX200

A glimpse of the case with a Qr to the video

760655511_piasphereqr_3.1.1.thumb.jpg.75d06f2660b1412cd44cae0421e53c3c.jpg

You can find the final pics at page 2

Edited by Jean R built
Fixing mistakes, I'll be back

• 2 months later...
On 8/7/2022 at 9:36 PM, E x e said:

Nice to see you here brotha 👍😀😍💪

Yeahrrrr!

I’m back.

here a pic of the case more later.

IMG_20220503_201224.thumb.jpg.7be959d5bfdeeebdfaa688e971690438.jpg

So I always liked SFF PCs, I love ‘em compact, you can put 'em on your desk if you want, and they can be travel buddies if need arises

It’s also useful when recording the videos in which you need to show peripherals when connected to a PC.

At first sight it, can put the observer in a guessing situation of what it exactly is, I know because, no one I've shown it thought it was a fully functional PC.

As for the colour scheme, it happened, I started with the white black and clear combo, it was a bit cold, but it would have worked.

But then I thought that it would have been nice to have some warm colour touches, so I ended up adding the copper colour present on the rings, at first I thought about making them with real copper, but I wanted to make this project fully 3D printed so I went with silk Copper PLA.

About the Filaments used for this project:

White:         GIANTARM PETG

Copper:     GIANTARM  Silk PLA

Black Case:    FormFutura rPETG (recycled)

Black Base:    ERYONE PET

As you can see from the list, I had to use normal Black PETG for the base.

The reason behind this is that I had to use the rPET for some tests, before the parts printing process, then when I sliced the model with CURA, I was worried about the estimated material needed, so I put on the ERYONE filament to be sure it could complete the print in one go.

This is the rPETG:

IMG_20221021_041542.thumb.jpg.43f0ff69b986c15b34a7176bff0a936c.jpg

Edited by Jean R built
  • Like 1

The design started as almost symmetric but evolved to asymmetric, and vaguely nature inspired, especially for the external domes.

1654948763_PinasphereEvolutionB.thumb.jpg.7b399641d046c919c374c53e437b34ab.jpg

The motherboard side is pineapple/pinecone inspired, while the radiator side I wanted it to be more slick but with some cool details, so it has a complex 3D honeycomb texture I made with Blender.

Here a glimpse of the design phase on Tinkercad:

Edited by Jean R built

The internal domes are also vaguely inspired by honeycombs, but in a totally different way.

The internal domes are not hemispheres but half of a geodesic dome each.

There are a lot of hexagonal cavities I've used to add texture and gain the needed space for everything to fit with enough clearance, and guide the airflow.

Mobo side internal dome:

Radiator side internal dome:

The copper rings have a lot of facets, these give a lot of details and sparks to the build without the need of Leds.

I printed them in PLA because, silk PLA was the closest to look like metal.

Mobo side copper ring:

Radiator side copper ring:

For the black waves, I thought about a mix between a water drop ripples and an impact crater, so here you can see the outcome of these ideas mixed together.

The Mobo side has a lot of movement because the waterblock off centered, and the waves start from it.

The waves have different heights, maybe it more noticeable in real life.

Mobo side black wave:

Radiator side black wave:

Now I'll show you some simplified exploding models of Piñasphere.

I want to specify why I consider the model simplified, it's because there are a lot of missing parts in the videos, but there are enough to understand the main structure.

I'll start with the central ring:

There are missing parts but you can see the sandwiched superstructure, composed mainly by the Mobo and SSD frames squeezing the central ring layers.

You cant see the bodies that serve also as anchoring points for the white external domes, they have also space inside to help cables routing, one contain the main structure for the power button.

Then let's see the Mobo side, it's less complex, not because it has less parts, but only because most have been glued together with clear epoxy so now four parts are one complex dome.

As you can see, there is a big dome that pop out giving access to the motherboard.

Talking about the motherboard here it is how it looks with the dome popped out of the way:

512521126_PinasphereDSC_0011-10009.thumb.jpg.f580b8bcd685212e805d5404ee3d94e3.jpg

Without the Waterblock it looks like this:

20974956_PinasphereIMG_20211013_2014080027.thumb.jpg.92a125cc6f482ee5809a16a98283c443.jpg

I almost forgot, the motherboard is an Asrock X300M-STX, it is a sub ITX Motherboard it is about 140x147 mm while a normal Mini ITX is 170x170 mm.

The Asrock motherboard came from an Asrock Deskmini X300 Barebone PC.

You can clearly see that the CPU is a Ryzen7 5700G, at first it had 2x8Gb of Ram but the final build has 2x32Gb of Ram at 3200 Mhz.

It is visible the main 1Tb Samsung SSD980, there is another 1TB Samsung SSD980 M.2 under the Motherboard, but obviously it is not visible here.

Edited by Jean R built

Here some more pictures of the Mobo side without the dome.

523848134_PinasphereDSC_0020-20001.thumb.jpg.2ec66aeb8763bdff3638125d6a356b40.jpg

2121596264_inside2_1.1.2.thumb.jpg.dfb373a7699168ef90e478449a5f0126.jpg

In the next 2 photos, you can see some of the "missing" parts of the explosion animation, everything is functional in this project because there isn't much space left inside.

1804080078_inside1_1.1.1.thumb.jpg.d27ae3877879f66210aabc27c8b95abe.jpg

1895028871_inside4_1.1.3.thumb.jpg.b6713df8483250a00d7c70ab4251aeab.jpg

In the last pic some cables that are usually hidden by the dome, here you can see the 6 wire cable of the power button, SSD and power led, all end inside the black domes support that has enough space inside for those cables.

Edited by Jean R built