Portal Glados by Mark's Fabrication

Mark yueh

Work ideas and work content

This work uses the character GLADOS in the game named: portal as the main axis. The work is divided into two parts, one is the main body and the other is the controller
The production part of the work uses a lot of 3D modeling and 3D printing objects, and will also add CNC, laser cutting and hand-made parts
What is more special is that the body part has added a more complex mechanical and electronic structure and a camera, so that the head can be rotated, and the camera can also be used as a video.
The controller uses the PORTEL GUN in the game as the complaint-like device for controlling GLADOS. In addition to the light effect on the gun body, it also adds a projection effect that can be manually zoomed.

However, due to the equipment relationship, many photos cannot be used, most of them are videos, I will try my best to take screenshots to illustrate the production content

Work hardware specifications

GLADOS
MB: ASRock Z690 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB4
CPU: lntel Core i7-12700
RAM: ZADAK SPARK RGB DDR5 (16GB UNB DDR5 5200 CL38-38-38-84) 
SSD: ZADAK TVSG3 PCIE GEN3X4 M.2 SSD 500GB 
PSU: Cooler Master V850 SFX GOLD
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB Founders Edition

PORTEL GUN
CPU: Intel Core i7-13900K 
RAN: Corsair VENGANCE RGB DDR5 32GB (2 x 16GB) 5600MHz 
SSD: Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Founders Edition 
MB: ASRock Z790 PG-ITX/TB4
PSU: FSP Hydro PTH X PRO ATX3.0 PCIe5.0 1000W

Step1.

3d modeling

14.jpg

13.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by Mark yueh
for more detailschange title

• Mark yueh changed the title to Portal Glados by Mark's Fabrication

3. Circuit fabrication and testing

Because the work needs electric mechanisms and lighting effects, various electronic circuits are made to test that they can work normally.
In addition, the HAF700EVO small screen connector modification has also been added to make the works more abundant

藍芽遙控器四向控制-2.png

藍芽遙控器四向控制-1.png

校正系統和四向基本控制-2.png

校正系統和四向基本控制-1.png

電動缸測試-2.png

電動缸測試-1.png

3. 點陣燈板-側面.jpg

3. 點陣燈板-正面.jpg

3. 點陣燈板背面電路.jpg

3.HAF700EVO小螢幕接頭改裝與測試.jpg

Edited by Mark yueh
add photo

4. Appearance production-1
First of all, each 3D printed part needs to be polished, and then various spraying of primer, top coat and effect paint

Masking tape will be needed in the middle to achieve the effect I want, with different levels

4-5.噴金屬漆.png

4-2.貼遮蔽膠帶.png

4-1.噴底漆.png

4-4.貼遮蔽膠帶.png

4-3.貼遮蔽膠帶.png

1.jpg

5. Appearance production-2
In the combination part between the parts, I chose the method of magnets and heat-embedded screws for assembly
This approach can allow the work to have room for error, in case there is a problem, it can be modified at any time

5-2螺絲固定.png

5-1螺絲固定.png

5-2磁鐵固定.png

5-1磁鐵固定.png

7. Appearance production - 4 aging effects
In the game, GLADOS itself has real time changes, so I used many different tools for the appearance of the work, such as brushes, oil paint,
Water-based paint is used to complete the aging effects such as peeling, peeling paint, scratches, etc., so that it can be closer to the actual product

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

8. CNC computer bracket assembly
Since this work GLADOS needs to be displayed on the ceiling, the modification of this section is to make the computer accessories get a good heat dissipation effect even at high places.
Aluminum CNC shelves were made for this to hold computer accessories

裸架.JPG

上機.jpg

9. Installation and testing
Before installation, since GLADOS needs to be hung on the ceiling for display, we need to connect all the self-made electronic accessories and most of the wires on the table,
Used to reduce time to avoid the hazards of aerial work
When all the hanger equipment is done, start to lift GLADOS into the air and prepare to start filming

DSC_1156.JPG

DSC_1155.JPG

DSC_1147.JPG

DSC_1146.JPG

DSC_1145.JPG

DSC_1144.JPG

DSC_1143.JPG