Hello everyone,

My name is Ruben, and this is my first time participating in the CMWS, and I am excited to share my project with you. I will be modifying a Cooler Master MasterBox 5 with the aim of improving airflow while maintaining its elegant aesthetics.

My project features an extension of the case's cross-section at the front. By creating a custom bracket integrated into the extension, it will accommodate three 140mm fans instead of the original two.

Additionally, I am designing a lifting mechanism for the radiator. The goal is to remove the radiator from the system to give it access to cold air from the outside, thereby improving the overall temperature. I am still working on figuring out the best mechanism and the optimal fan orientation. I will keep you updated on my progress and hopefully make it work.

Feel free to give your feedback.

atm front extention.jpg

atm front extention (6).jpg

atm front extention (4).jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I've been focused on designing and building my PC case and haven't given any updates on the build. I plan to provide updates more regularly from now on.

To keep using my PC while working on the case, I bought the cheapest case I could find to temporarily house all the components. After cleaning and disassembling all the parts, I started measuring and modeling them, along with the attachment points, to replicate them in my design. After a few iterations, I now have a solid base to work from. Please disregard the print quality for now; these were printed quickly with very little infill to save time and filament. At this stage, I'm just aiming for dimensional accuracy.

The front panel has some location pins and clips/tabs that secure it to the case with friction. These turned out to be too fragile to replicate, even when printed separately and in different orientations. To simplify things, I will use the location pins and repurpose them with magnets to create six strong attachment points.

I printed a separate panel to secure the fans, which will also help mitigate fan recirculation. Again, these are just test pieces. The final parts will be printed later, as I intend to add cable routing and other features.

I am waiting on some hardware (bolts and threaded inserts) as well as the AIO and fans to arrive. Once I have them, I'll start working on 'Phase 2': the lifting mechanism for the radiator.

Feel free to ask any questions. Should I provide more or less detailed updates than this?

Have a good day, everyone!

20240722_110830.jpg

20240722_110856.jpg

20240722_111014.jpg

20240722_111255.jpg

20240722_111322.jpg

20240722_111612.jpg

20240722_111641.jpg

20240722_112014.jpg

20240722_112146.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Most of the parts needed for the build have arrived. Right now, I’m finishing up 3D printing the linear actuator mounts—more on that soon.

I’ve marked up all the cuts needed for the case and used an angle grinder and a small Dremel. It went better than expected, and I’m pretty happy with the results, all the cuts won’t be visible anyway.

I initially bought a thin mesh for the upper section but later found a better option, an aluminium-coated mesh with a hex pattern. I’m not sure which one I’ll go with yet.

The prototypes for the hinge are finished, and it’s working properly. A drive shaft from an old printer turned out to be the perfect fit for the 608 bearing.

Soon, I’ll be testing whether the mechanism actually works, and I’ll post another update then.

20240805_201953.jpg

20240806_171659.jpg

20240811_205804.jpg

20240811_210442.jpg

20240811_210819.jpg

20240805_202526.jpg

20240813_211621.jpg

• Like 1