50th Anniversary Stacker

coolmiester

stacker_logo.jpg

Well its been a long time coming but just before i jump in with both feet, a little background....

Its well known that apart from computers and cars i'm also into bikes which i follow each year and after seeing Valentino Rossi on the 50th anniversary Yamaha in the yellow, white and black livery it was inevitable really that i'd try to replicate it onto a case.

I know a few of my cases have used various grills and scoops and they have been seen before but looking around they are becoming quite a noticeable feature in my cases and on this one essential........plus i'm proud of em tbh so no apologies for using them again:D

I'm starting to have second thoughts about giving this one away but i did say the next one made would be first prize in the next CC competition and rest assured once finished this one will be up for grabs:eek:

Anyway, a :) of a long way to go but may as well make a start with a prod log - starting off with a slightly second hand Stacker with standard circular grill window..........and again using Metro bonnet grills as used on the Sound+Vision but this time i cut a bit more away from the grill and mounted them the other way round which is much more in keeping with the actual Yamaha bike grills.

This time i kept the standard vent mounting bolts and used them to fastened the vents to the side panel before mixing up some body filler and filling in the gaps

Looks like there isn't much done but its all a bit time consuming waiting for filler and paint to dry and rubbing down with all the various grit wet n'dry so hopefully should be a bit further on and have some better pictures next time.

Primer went on nice so can't wait to start masking this thing up and getting some colour on.

Apologies for the rant..........some pictures....

Stack_1.jpg

Stack_2.jpg

Stack_3.jpg

Stack_4.jpg

Stack_5.jpg

Stack_6.jpg

Stack_7.jpg

Stack_8.jpg

Stack_9.jpg

Stack_10.jpg

Stack_11.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, i spoke to a couple of painters for advice on how to lay the three colours on and both came up with different options so i got to admit i was a bit confused to say the least which colour to start with and given the yellow was £47 per Ltr i really really didn't want to get this wrong but knew i had to make a start somewhere so just went with what i thought best at the end of the day so i hope i don't get grief off the proper painters out there:S

I just had to see what the yellow looked like so decided to lay that on first and 4 coats later it looked nice.

I also decided to try something a bit different with the window this time and hopefully try to carry the white blocks through the window which should and i say should because i've no clue if this will work or not but hopefully the white blocks should carry through the window once the balck film is applied...............but hey who knows!

Waiting for paint to dry and masking up is taking a lot longer than anticipated so i got to apologise that its not taking shape as quick as i'd of liked plus i'm waiting on graphics and a other bits and bobs turning up but i'm trying my best.

Anyway on with some pictures which although doesn't look much its taken best part of 3 days as i'm basically learning as i go here but having great fun!

Stack_12.jpg

Stack_14.jpg

Stack_15.jpg

Stack_16.jpg

Stack_17.jpg

Stack_18.jpg

Stack_19.jpg

Stack_20.jpg

Stack_21.jpg

Stack_22.jpg

Stack_23.jpg

Stack_24.jpg

Stack_25.jpg

Stack_26.jpg

Got the window fitted :D

Reversed the white blocks onto the back of the window and masked them out and gave it a quick flash of white paint.

Applied the black out film to the reverse side and did a test fit to see how things line up.

Still got more graphics to go on but so far so good :D

Stack_27.jpg

Stack_28.jpg

Stack_29.jpg

Stack_30.jpg

Stack_31.jpg

Stack_32.jpg

Small update..............this masking and painting malarkey takes bloomin ages :?

Anyway got a Yamaha petrol tank filler cap off eBay this morning and no prizes at guessing where that's going to be fitted:D

I just got to work out how to mount a fill port into it then mount the whole lot to the top of the case which isn't as easy as it sounds as i'm finding the hard way

Today's pictures........

Stack_33.jpg

Stack_34.jpg

Stack_35.jpg

Stack_36.jpg

Stack_37.jpg

Stack_38.jpg

Stack_39.jpg

Stack_40.jpg

A fiddly job if ever i done one.........basically had to chop most of the actual filler cap insides away and then had to make some sort of mount for it to fit on top of the case as the diameter of the overall cap wasn't big enough to cover the standard 80mm cut out of the case plus i had to fit a Danger Den Fill Port to the whole thing :-(

After a lot of cutting, bashing, grinding, gluing, masking and painting......

Stack_41.jpg

Stack_42.jpg

Stack_43.jpg

Stack_44.jpg

Stack_45.jpg

Stack_46.jpg

Stack_47.jpg

Stack_48.jpg

Stack_51.jpg

Stack_49.jpg

Stack_50.jpg

Unfortunately not really got a lot to offer tonight other than all the boring stuff like stripping and washing the case down ready for primer and getting the filler cap to actually fit before the top gets a couple of coats of primer.

Oh yeah managed to get some chrome wheels ordered.

Stack_52.jpg

Stack_53.jpg

Stack_54.jpg

Stack_55.jpg

Stack_56.jpg

Been a long long day as we have a work experience guy here which is meant to lighten the load but.........well i'll not go there :eek:

I did manage to get the custom plate stuck down followed by car filler then wet sanded ready for primer along with getting other bits primed and painted.

I had a heat lamp fitted to the shed which speeds the drying time up considerably but is still a lengthy process as i was wet sanding between each coat with 2000 grit just to keep everything smooth.

Next job is to chop and mod the second vent then get it mounted to the other side panel and then start trying to mask and match the blocks which is going to take time but everything seems to be looking good so far.

I'm taken back with all the positive comments and feedback so a BIG thanks, its greatly appreciated.

Progress today........

Stack_57.jpg

Stack_58.jpg

Stack_59.jpg

Stack_60.jpg

Stack_61.jpg

Stack_65.jpg

Stack_62.jpg

Stack_63.jpg

Stack_64.jpg

Got a bit more done but again it doesn't really look like much as the masking is really time consuming on top of having to wait for paint to dry but i'm a lot further on than what i was at the start of the day :)

Carried the black blocks and white stripes through onto the front down things which looks a lot better and i actually managed to match them up pretty good

Also made a start on the other side panel with a couple of coats of primer then the first coat of yellow............so all in all a pretty productive day and now time for a few beers.

Stack_66.jpg

Stack_67.jpg

Stack_68.jpg

Stack_69.jpg

Stack_70.jpg

Stack_71.jpg

Stack_72.jpg

Stack_73.jpg

Stack_74.jpg

Archived