Project: Cosmod

_ferry_

I picked up the Cosmos at the cooler master office past week (thanks guys!), together with a new PSU so, let's mod it :D

There is no special theme, so don't expect extreme modding with a complete new look. It's more like modding it to fulfill my needs, nice looks (oh, well, the case is already looking great!) and silence. There's a deadline: CeBIT in March 2008.

I-spider is my current main rig. I think he will be moving to act as secondary system, and the cosmos will be my new main rig. (i will shift the hardware) So it must be silent, and the smaller size will be looking better on my desk as well.

First we start with the rough mods, I have some plans to change the airflow:

The radiator is on top, and only 2 intake fans will cool the computer and radiator, since the radiator is the only way for the air to get out. If this aint enough, i can always add some fans to the radiator. But i don't think it's needed at all, since the triple rad is huge for cooling just a CPU.

full.jpg

The case stripped down, together with the radiator

full.jpg

Painting out the hole for the radiator.

full.jpg

Done, i removed the mesh on the bottom as well, there is no reason for having it there since it could only block the airflow.

full.jpg

full.jpg

It doesnt mather how the shape looks, since these holes aint visible. So i just followed the edges of the mesh.

full.jpg

Let's have a look to the air filters. The normal setup uses 1 filter for the power supply, and another 1 for 1 intake fan. Other fans havn't got any filters. Let's change that.... My plan is to combine it to 1 large filter for 2 intake fans, and use the power supply (a 1000watt modulair cooler master real power) without filter. I don't care having some dust in my PSU, i rather have my system dust-free.

full.jpg

So i started with removing some plastic...

full.jpg

And enlarged the hole, so 2 filters will fit next to eachother.

full.jpg

Some mesh-x panel to finish up the empty space beneath the power supply.

full.jpg

Result for the time being. You can see the radiator on top, the power supply and the way i want to fit the fan's. They'll be mounted in a aluminum L-shaped frame, which seporates the motherboard & radiator from the rest of the case. great for cable management, and airflow offcourse :) HDD's are right in the airflow too.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i-spider is on this forum as well, see the sticky list ;)

No real theme, or lets say: A Cosmos theme ;)

I don't feel like changing the overall design, but there are points that could be changed. I have some pretty ideas for the inside and front. Inside will be painted, since countersunk metal doesn't look that fantastic, outside colors will be the same.

I did some modding on the front:

full.jpg

You can't see the difference? Good :)

full.jpg

Let's put a LED beyond the front. You won't see that with the normal front :) So it's my hiddden feature ;)

full.jpg

Left = ac ryan dark acrylic, right the old plastic, and on the bottom the front panel with mesh.

full.jpg

My plan is to make a logo on the dark acrylic. Letters or small symbols are impossible, since the mesh-x lowers the resolution of the image. (you can't see what's beyond the metal, only what's beyond the holes.) So i decided to use the cosmos logo, since it's big, has no straight lines (will look bad, for the same reason as small symbols) And it's nice :)

full.jpg

After cutting the lines with a sharp knife.

full.jpg

And coloring it with a airbrush. Many layers were needed to make it block the light.

full.jpg

full.jpg

The result, I'm satisfied! Light isn't very equal atm, but this is just a test. LED's must be placed in some kind of light box for smooth illuminating.

What about the led color? It's aqua green. Looks like the cooler master color :) Bad thing is that i only have 5 of them :( And the don't mix well with other led colors.

The front is done:

full.jpg

First the light box, made of styrene.

full.jpg

4 RGB led's are installed. I'll use the same controller as i use for my room lights, so i can control them by serial or remote.

full.jpg

full.jpg

Nice huh?

And after clicking the front back:

full.jpg

full.jpg

This week the AC ryan aluminum panels arrived, so i hope to figure out the dimensions etc. soon.

• 2 weeks later...

full.jpg

First a test-fit with cardboard models. It's still user-friendly, because it seems that i can remove them without removing hardware.

full.jpg

After that the aluminum model was made, don't mind the rough edges, sanding does the trick.

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Same cutting & bending trick for the other cap, looks pretty, doesn't it?

full.jpg

In the lower cover there will be a fan, looks boring this way.

full.jpg

Let's give it a special touch with this aluminum strip, which comes with the case (as a part of the VGA cooling tunnel)

full.jpg

Covers will be held in place with mounting holes in the case, and with these aluminum corners.

full.jpg

Cut to size.

full.jpg

And a acrylic copy + some RGB leds

full.jpg

full.jpg

Looking great, breaks the bring black color of the cover, and adds some detail.

full.jpg

Also a carton board template for the rear. Not juust covering up ventilation holes.....

full.jpg

But it's part of the reservoir :) Which will be placed on the rear of the case.

full.jpg

Some acrylic parts for it

full.jpg

While drying (the glue dries onder infuence of light, a 150Watt HPI light works fine :)

full.jpg

full.jpg

Should be fitted like this, but wait. i want a reservoir just as nice as tribaloverkill does ;) No, just kidding, but a propeller on the inside would be nice, with a 'window' in the aluminum so you'll see the rotor spinning.

Very nice update, those covers look very sleek especially with the acrylic part with blue leds.

The reservoir is nicely designed, so thin it won't take to much space, thats just great! But should you have had to make the fitting holes already? Seems to be easier if you'd done those in advance.

I guess you'll have a half-clear side panel that hides the bays and covers?

Good thinking ;)

But the Fitting holes will be made in another acrylic part. That one will be glued on the reservoir. This is much stronger, since there will be more acryl around the fitting, and more leak-proof.

About the side panel, i think the covers will be visible, since i can stick some sponsor logos over there. Bays will be hidden, and the shape... Maybe the outline of a cosmos chassis? I guess that's cool.

Archived