Project: Cosmod

_ferry_

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you very much guys!

I wasn't able to get rid of the white stuff, flamepolishing did work, on the surface, but the flame couldn't polish al the small corners. Since the heat doesn't get there.

So it was time for plan B:

I took a spray can of silver, and added a layer of it. After it dried i took my sanding paper (grid 600,1000,1500,2000) to get the letters clean and polished again.

So here's a quick shot of it:

full.jpg

The frame needs some polishing and cleaning though. But the color fits the mesh and outside of the case :)

About the idea of this grill, i was thinking on a boring sunday what kind of grill i could make for it. Which material, color and size/shape.

Then you start, and while working on it you get some new ideas and inventions. First plan was just a square plexi ring with mesh. Then rounded edges to fit the case theme, and the Battlestar galectica mod gave me the idea of bulging the mesh. First plan was engraving the logo on a piece of acryl and gluing it on the mesh untill i came up with the idea of combining the logo and frame in 1 piece.

• 2 weeks later...

Today i did a mock up with all the parts to see how it will turn out, it might looks like he's almost finished, but there's still a lot of work left to do.

Remember this one?

full.jpg

After sending it to the painter:

full.jpg

full.jpg

First the reservoir, i mounted it with mobo standoffs instead of screws. Why?

full.jpg

To mount the aluminum plate on it. Offcourse white dot = drilling hole for the screw.

full.jpg

Replaced the other parts, i kept the HDD brackets blank aluminum, gives a good contrast to all the black stuff.

full.jpg

Wow look :o There's a pc chassis between all the garbage and tools.

full.jpg

full.jpg

Looks stock this way ;)

full.jpg

Not on this way.

full.jpg

Photo #100 in this topic ;)

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Added a motherboard as well.

full.jpg

A to-do: new button panel. I really don't like visible USB connectors on the front of a PC.

full.jpg

Another to-do is the window that shows the pump. Pump is very close to the chassis' edge, that will be a hard job to cut the window.

full.jpg

Even more because there's a metal bracket on the sidepanel. Well, the cutter can handle that one ;)

full.jpg

Another preview on what's left to do, the original covers are not going to fit, due to the aluminum on the left. Not even talking about fitting the thumbscrews back there. I'll think about a solution for that.

Another preview on what's left to do, the original covers are not going to fit, due to the aluminum on the left. Not even talking about fitting the thumbscrews back there. I'll think about a solution for that.

Yeah, you may have to redesign that part, the thumbscrews might be considered critical - have you test-fit any cards in there? That might be a problem too. Perhaps a cut-out in that aluminum plate, around where the PCI cards mount?

Also, you might have a look at this post from the Product Suggestions forum - btw, the newest Cosmos, shown at CES does, indeed have a cover over the ports.

Otherwise, a stellar job, as usual!

Be Well!

Fireheart

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a timelapse video today while milling the button panel. But first some pics for the impression:

full.jpg

The new design. Looks much better than those USB connectors etc.

full.jpg

Rough cut. Around it will be 4 buttons for the light effects. Offcourse it will be lightened with some acrylic. Pressing the center part of the power symbol makes the PC turn on or off.

Video time:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=tyRQ-4VF2WQ

With this as a result

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

I've started with the acrylic parts that will fit beneath the 4 buttons. Those have some "lips" to mount them in the big acrylic thing. With a lot of cutting, filing and sanding i'll make them exactly fit, otherwise they can move sideways when pressing them, don't want that. I want them sturdy, just enough space to move up and down when pressing them.

Case is almost done, 3 points left to do:

- Build in my hardware (from my current rig)

- Cutting out the window, engraving the sponsors logo's

- Enjoy :)

Anyway, if i ain't got the time to post some final pictures before moving the case to CeBIT there are some nice shots here:

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

(1 fan temporary to test)

full.jpg

Imbus bolt to close the reservoir

full.jpg

full.jpg

PCI slots are reachable now :D

full.jpg

Some cables to hide away in the empty HDD brackets.

Archived