Project: Optimus Prime 21/3

»Stievius«

In Februari 2007 I started modding this Stacker case. Some month later I started another project called Xionized. I focussed completely on this second casemod, and it payed of: Xionized made it to the second place in the Benelux Championships ( > http://www.tbcl.nl ). Now, a year later, I took the Stacker out of my garage, removed two inches of dust and the pretty f*cked up protective tape.

The name explanes the theme I'm working with. I wanna make the case look like Optimus Prime (the Transformers character).

The goal is not to reconstruct it, but to make a smooth lookin' case with point of recognition with Optimus Prime.

Ok, let's commence ^^

1.jpg

You're lookin' at two Cooler Master Cosmos top bars. As you can see, it are two LEFT bars. I ordered a left and a right one, but mkay, that's not that much of a disaster...

2.jpg

...since I'm removing the pieces to put it on the frame.

3.jpg

I tapped M4 holes, way easier to mount this way.

Since the bars are not made to mount to a flat surface, the only way to mount them is to make a whole new top for the case.

4.jpg

And there you have it. It still needs a lot of work, but you get the general picture.

5.jpg

Front view (personally, I'm lovin' it)

6.jpg

Side view.

7.jpg

And this is the basic idea of the front. I bent two plates of aluminium, and put them in the front.

Updates soon. :)

• 2 weeks later...

@Cheapskate: I don't know, is there a difference? Why don't you tell me when the mod is finished? :D

Mkay, update!!

Found some time the last days (and nights) to work on the top of the case.

It didn't work out like I planned it, but it ain't too bas imho.

12.jpg

I started by cutting a piece of acrylic to fit the front part of the top panel and to replace the stock plastic shizzle.

13.jpg

Yeah, that works...

I wanted to do something with Hexx-mesh, so this is wat I came up with (eventually):

14.jpg

This had no simularity with Optimus Prime, but I'm thinking of putting the eyes somewhere behind the mesh....

15.jpg

16.jpg

Did I say Hexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx? :)

The hexx needed to be screwed to the top panel, so after some brainstorming...

17.jpg

18.jpg

Same goes for the other side...

19.jpg

Due to a lack of inspiration: L-profile pwnage xD

20.jpg

21.jpg

Same thing at the back...

So that's all concerning the actual modding...

Next up: Photoshoot :D

8.jpg

An Innovatek dual radiator.

9.jpg

Two red lightbars. They seem to have some cool effects, so I definetly wanted to try these out.

10.jpg

Two 40cm Xirex reservoirs. (Muahaa, sweet candy :D )

11.jpg

and last but not least:

1x 3mm UV Black acrylic, 2x 5mm UV Blue acrylic and 2x silver Hexx.

I would like to thank Eddy fromIT-service.be for his generosity and excellent service.

sponsor.jpg

/out

-Stievius -

Looking nice with the mesh, do you have a basic idea on paper or something else maybe?

Not really no. Sometimes I draw some stuff during a boring lesson at school, but never the whole concept, since I change my mind about twice a day xD

Btw; update ! :)

Another update :)

22.jpg

I remade the hexx-pieces...

23.jpg

... and made some adjustments to the shape of the panel.

24.jpg

Lookin' better imho.

25.jpg

My plan is to put somekind of grill made out of acrylic in the empty hole.

26.jpg

Therefore, I first had to make some circles out of acrylic. They'll become the spacers.

27.jpgt

Exciting (not).

28.jpg

Some made it, some didn't... R.I.P.

29.jpg

Yet more acrylic...

30.jpg

The basic idea.

31.jpg

And the whole construction upside down, still without bolts.

More soon, grtz ;)

Archived