Project: Mission - 2009 Mod Contest Entry - Completed

Jeffrey Stephenson

146.jpg

Drilled out some pilot holes in the veneer covering the side stanchion slots. An X-Acto knife was used to carve out the bulk of the material. Emory boards were used to finish the slots.

147.jpg

148.jpg

The three pilot holes can be seen for the opposite stanchions. The end of the legs are slowly being eaten down to the red mark.

149.jpg

The grill is being sized up. I think it might look better in a wood frame. The tabletop is a 12" X 24" piece of 3/4" birch plywood I bought at a supply store for architecture students.

150.jpg

Action display sequence.

151.jpg

152.jpg

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A thoroughly meticulous piece of work on the grill. What is it made of & how long did it take you to make it?

Cheers

I purchased the grill. The mesh I wanted to use to make my own was not available. I think this grill design fits in well.

166.jpg

On the back left you can see the 1/8" sheet of brown hardboard that is shimming the case. It slides straight out the back just like the case.

168.jpg

A couple of action photos while testing clearances.

170.jpg

The system will work with or without the case's original side panels. Originally the panels were kept on to give it more support but I might need an internal light source and that means losing them. Either way I'm good to go.

171.jpg

Checking the length of the table top after mocking up some pieces. The width is perfect but I know I'll have to trim some length. There is an optical illusion going on that allows me to extend the length overhang while still looking like I'm using the same overhang as the sides.

172.jpg

Building a simple frame for the grills. First I lay down some wax paper onto a flat working surface. The wax paper keeps me from gluing the piece to my working surface.

174.jpg

Bring in the grill to measure, cut and test fit the pieces. Each layer of wood is cut in a pin-wheel fashion so that the butt joints all face in the same clockwise or counter-clockwise direction.

173.jpg

Glue stuff up. Remember to reverse the direction of the butt joints for each layer of wood. A three layer structure will turn out very strong

175.jpg

176.jpg

177.jpg

Set the frame in place to check the look.

190.jpg

191.jpg

Fail! The frame is too large and bulky IMO. I'm going to either scrap it or use it for the bottom vent. Later I'll build another frame using smaller dimension boards.

192.jpg

On to some veneering. I'm targeting the four stanchion support boards that feature the three cutouts. Glue and clamp the pieces without regard to the cutouts. My rule for veneering...do the difficult and boring first.

194.jpg

While I'm waiting for glue to dry I whipped up a few shim pieces from basswood to narrow the front face by a 1/4". Each is 1/8" wide and will fit inside the front two legs. This will allow me to properly fit some chrome trim pieces that I'm considering for the front.

195.jpg

Using my X-Acto razor knife I carve out most of the material in the cutouts. Emory boards are used to finish up the slots. The wife has noticed her nail files are coming up missing. Time to duck and cover.

196.jpg

Both sides done. Time to flip it over and do the other two.

197.jpg

The front face shim pieces are being fitted and glued up.

180.jpg

Some excess material is sticking out front so it will need to be knocked down with wood files and sandpaper.

198.jpg

Some scavenged chrome bits that I dug up to see if they could be used.

182.jpg

184.jpg

185.jpg

I'm still "squinting" at this look. I don't know. I'll work around all this for now to see what else might pop up. Opinions are welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Yup, can't go against the wife! I agree with Mpvoh hands down. Looks really classy. I like Art-Deco & with the Mission theme, you can guess my feeling.

Cheers

I like the last one also but it has special problems. I took the photo straight-on because the area above and around the lower chrome piece is messy. The other option is cleaner because you would have to stand on your head to see the ugly bits. I would have to build a shield for the lower option to hide this. It could change the look completely.

An option/compromise I'm shooting for is to move the chrome pieces directly onto the wooden cross members where they now sit next to. Follow me? It would be a fairly minor change that would solve a big problem.

An update:

201.jpg

Take a sheet of walnut and cut it down to fit. I use a very sharp X-Acto Gripster razor knife.

202.jpg

Test fit. Checking to see if there is adequate overhang all around.

203.jpg

Close up. Tiny pencil mark to the right.

204.jpg

I finished the back so I thought it was due a photo op. The walnut should darken up nicely when some finish goes on.

Thanks for looking.

Heck, I saw the addition as perfect, of course I'm only following your worklog pics which usually don't tell the whole story. If you saw a detail you didn't like, it just goes to show me that you are a stickler for perfection. And yes, that is what separates the men from the boys in modding.

Cheers & more posts pls.

Archived