Project: Mission - 2009 Mod Contest Entry - Completed

Jeffrey Stephenson

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

305.jpg

The stanchion tops get their veneer.

306.jpg

24 pieces of veneer measured, cut, glued, clamped, dried, trimmed and sanded.

307.jpg

Everything that is not walnut is brushed with flat black latex paint. This includes the lower vent frame shown at bottom right.

308.jpg

I'm taking this last opportunity to sand around the stanchion holes while the access is still easy.

309.jpg

310.jpg

311.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks everyone for the comments!

312.jpg

I had to get in one last "glue drying" photo. The veneer on the bottom of the stanchions marks the end of the veneer work.

313.jpg

Pulled the chrome pieces off and slapped on a thick coat of lacquer sanding sealer. The sealer raises the grain to make sanding easier. It saturates the wood so that final lacquer coats go on evenly and also highlights areas that need work like my errant glue marks. For me, the best part of the sealer is that it simulates what the final wood color and grain pattern will look like.

314.jpg

Paisley fabric

316.jpg

Tabletop angle

318.jpg

Naugahyde

319.jpg

Almond slate

321.jpg

Moss slate

More variations coming soon. The final decision on what decorative panel I'll be using will probably be made on Sept 19th. LOL

Thanks for looking!

Archived