Project: Mission - 2009 Mod Contest Entry - Completed

Jeffrey Stephenson

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys! Thanks for that!

I'm still sanding and re-applying lacquer. I'll see something I don't like and re-do the whole section. This will continue until the wife threatens an intervention. I can see in her eyes that the end is drawing near.

Last up is wiring and switches. I won't be doing any fancy wiring job mainly because there is no window in this project. I will be doing just the basic sleeving and organization stuff. There was a time in my life when I would braid and sleave the inside of a power supply...but I'm feeling much better now.

365.jpg

The power switch will be located on the back of the case. I actually kinda prefer it that way. Here is a photo showing the case's external liquid-cooling pass-through ports that are ugly and unused.

366.jpg

Pulled the rubber grommets out.

367.jpg

I have a couple of old vintage momentary switches left over from another project and I bought some stainless steel washers at my local hardware store.

368.jpg

The washers straddle and sandwich the cooling port holes and provide a smaller hole to mount the switches.

369.jpg

370.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Slightly anal? No way! Good to have all the side covers, change is the spice of life (without having to redo the whole piece!) Air filter, well, what any conscientious modder would use and do, also ingenious and definitely the cheapest way to do so (sponge is more expensive). Attention to detail, timeless, changeable view, heck... a superb mod again. Kudos to Master Slipperyskip, president elect of the SCMC of CM!

Braid and sleeve your power supply? At our age bracket, we have better things to do for stuff that will not be seen--I back you up 100%! Ohh, forgot to congratulate the use of the stainless handles, cool and practical (they are expensive tho if you had bought them now).

Cheers and Saludos

Great innovative idea to cover those holes.

I Agree, also a nice idea to have the power button in the back, looks cleaner in the front and not everyone will acces to them, (maybe I'll do it in my main rig so my son can't switch it on and off every time! :lol: )

Keep the updates comming!

Thanks for looking!

And I'll always will!!!

(cute but full metal switches, very nice).

LOL They are nickel plated. They don't make'em like they used to.

Thanks! It just seemed like the thing to do at the time. Making it up as you go is what makes it fun right?

I Agree, also a nice idea to have the power button in the back, looks cleaner in the front and not everyone will acces to them, (maybe I'll do it in my main rig so my son can't switch it on and off every time! :lol: )

Keep the updates comming!

It's not a big deal as long as you have a reference. Reach around to find the handle. The button is at the top of the handle. It couldn't be easier really.

371.jpg

I assembled all the parts and fired it up. As I expected. there was a significant "leak" in the back from the case's open fan grill. Good for the CPU cooling but bad for directing all the incoming air through the filter. To solve this I cut out a piece of 3/16" plywood the size of a 120mm fan, drilled out the corner holes, painted it flat black and mounted it into the case.

372.jpg

One of those "a picture is worth a thousand words" photos.

373.jpg

Back to the Almond Slate. I just finished up the all the woodwork. You can see my rag that I used to buff the coat of Johnson's Paste Wax. The Almond Slate is a little too light in these photos. I had just made the face panels and was mostly curious about how they looked.

374.jpg

375.jpg

I'm doing lots of testing looking at temps and dialing in fan control. Looks like lots of Far Cry 2 and Blu Ray movies for me. :D

Thanks for looking!

Archived