Project Elite 360 Double Barrel New pictures 8/9

Icejon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I decided to work on the front panel quickly since my imagination is running out. The plan for the front panel is to have it back-lit with matching oval vents similar to the double barreled handle.

I start with two patterns of openings. One is widely spaced, the other is closely spaced. I pick the less dense pattern because I will cut them by hand. I don't have the precision to do a more mechanical pattern.

post-30221-13880422533424_thumb.jpg

Now I am taping the paper to the front and measuring it. My mistake is to not draw the holes directly on the plastic. Later this template gets shredded when I drill it and distorts the original positions of the holes.

post-30221-13880422534216_thumb.jpg

I drilled it pretty rough using a hand drill. Now I will use my pocket knife to file down the edges! Hehe I knew my childhood toy would be useful for something! The plastic files very easily so I have to be careful not to remove all the materials.

post-30221-13880422535097_thumb.jpg

It's done and straightened. Unfortunately it isn't precise like a machine. I will cover this with a mesh fascia so it will preserve most of the effect.

post-30221-13880422535967_thumb.jpg

Next I work on the back lighting in the system with an car part. That's it for now guys, thanks for the comments!

In the spirit of saving the environment, and because I really want to use cool tech, I'm using LED's for the mod lighting. With LED's we have no degradation of the tubes after 2-3 months use, no huge and bulky controller and less harm to the environment. Using LED light sticks, I can create the same lighting effect with use of less power. I also can keep the utility bills low and not have to make room for a silly inverter in my tiny RC-360.

I start with my LED kit. The color is red. There are 4, 9" sticks. Each clear plastic, stick has 18 5V red LEDs. The controller is included and has 10 different functions. There is slow strobe, fixed color, faster color cycling, fastest color cycling, slow on and off fade (breathing), fast fade, and flashing. There is also a sound controller that will allow lighting when sound is detected. The sensitivity for the sound cycling can be adjusted.

post-30221-13880422536714_thumb.jpg

The red wire is +12v, so I need to splice it into a standard 4-pin molex to 2 pin fan connector. This kind of connector comes with all Cooler Master chassis and is pretty much free. I am going to take my time. The controller for the LEDs is about 2cm wide by 3cm long and only 1cm thick so it will be easy to hide.

post-30221-13880422537752_thumb.jpg

With the adapter attached, I use a crimping tool to connect the wires and then I insulate using heat shrink tubing. Note that the wire package allows for about 3 foot distance apart for the LED sticks to be oriented away from each other.

post-30221-13880422538531_thumb.jpg

Here is a short video of the function. Please ignore the vertical lines as somehow my camera CMOS sensor is being tricked by the type of LED light. Imagine the possibilities with LED technology, its far better than cold cathode, and available at the same price as a CCFL kit. I think its pretty neat and green friendly :D .

See the LED in action here!

Stay tuned until next time!

I could've sworn your title was as a "Beta Tester", but no hang up for me & no wonder you did not enter the contest, being staff. You would've scored a lot points for originality for sure.

I wanted to comment from you last entry of the double barrels, that it might look a little better if you attached (epoxy glue) a more or less 2" piece of aluminum gray tubing on the other side of the angle, which would give the angle the idea of being a sort of support for the double barrel AA gun (AA for me cuz of the huge bore). I would then stick a super bright flashing led in each barrel which would give the impression of the firing the guns. I would also incorporate a switch to turn on-off this effect after a while. I would hi-lite the attention getter in this mod which is the double barrel mod to the max, even the use of disco smoke for demo purposes. Well, just my ideas.

Your led "kit" is a :) of lot easier than the one I got here in Mexico, which promises to be a pain to put together. Good choice. By the way, who in the forum is in charge of editing text in post? The last contestant could use a big hand in redoing his texts which I can hardly understand. He is obviously using a translator which translates words buy not ideas.

I was wondering how much it would cost to water of lazer cut your vents?

Looking forward for more.

Cheers

I wanted to comment from you last entry of the double barrels, that it might look a little better if you attached (epoxy glue) a more or less 2" piece of aluminum gray tubing on the other side of the angle, which would give the angle the idea of being a sort of support for the double barrel AA gun (AA for me cuz of the huge bore). I would then stick a super bright flashing led in each barrel which would give the impression of the firing the guns. I would also incorporate a switch to turn on-off this effect after a while. I would hi-lite the attention getter in this mod which is the double barrel mod to the max, even the use of disco smoke for demo purposes. Well, just my ideas.

Your led "kit" is a :) of lot easier than the one I got here in Mexico, which promises to be a pain to put together. Good choice. By the way, who in the forum is in charge of editing text in post? The last contestant could use a big hand in redoing his texts which I can hardly understand. He is obviously using a translator which translates words buy not ideas.

I was wondering how much it would cost to water of lazer cut your vents?

Looking forward for more.

Cheers

Thanks for the support! I plan on adding some kind of "muzzle" break part from airsoft on the end of the front bracket. One is the cost at around $14.99 each and I will need two. The second is that they are drilled for 14mm screw on to a barrel. I just have a flat plate with two holes, so I will need to fabricate an end cap to add it on. I have a new and cheap solution to this problem that I will share in the future.

I was thinking about putting the light sticks into each barrel and perforating the barrel. One issue I have with this is that I will have to take it to work to drill with a drill press for precision, and the second is I have to disassemble the plastic parts of the sticks to fit them inside the barrels.

My lighting kit only cost $27 bucks, but I am sure you saved more with your LED's. My girlfriend can build a +12v to 5v LED controller, but I am too lazy to get her the parts and breadboard for a similar expense.

Who do you mention about the language issue?

The language for this entrant is generally speaking, English,but I could hardly understand what he was trying to say. As a matter of fact, more than half is a big jumble of words that make no sense. I'm not trying to compare, but in my forum we either make the poster re-enter his message in an understandable manner (for ex. too much sms) or edit the message ourselves (talking about Admins. & Moderators). We don't usually delete messages as that is what we are looking for, more content and comments but we have an obligation to our other members that they have access to something understandable.

Sorry to mention this here, we are off-topic but I just had to ask you being one of the moderators. As a matter of fact, I do not know who to seek out as a moderator for this forum/contest threads.

Cheers

Hey Icejon, I just spent a good 15-20 minutes reading this worklog and I'm very impressed with your work! It looks like you have been doing this for years.

I've always wanted to buy a mid-level case and do a full conversion on it, but timing (and $$$) have always been issues to overcome. This worklog has inspired me to push myself harder to get something going!

Thanks for the great read and I look forward to reading more :thumbup:

-- Bill

It would be great to see the muzzles, seems that you are way ahead of me. I wish my wife could do the bread board soldering on my sequential led light kit which will have around 27 leds altogether, once wired, heh-heh, but no go, she is definitely just a user not a modder.

Yeah, it is tough drilling tubes. You atleast need a bench press just to hold it still & loosing a bunch of bits is part of the experience, so yes a drill press is a must to save a lot of time and pain.

Hey, good to know you inspired someone, hope he takes his decision and becomes a regular on the forums.

Cheers

Archived