Project: Mad-Oil by MstJuan - Mod Contest 2009 Completed

mstjuan

It looks like you are doing it more or less step-by-step. What we mean is that once you have something sure (or close to it), you step BACK a few steps to get a final over-all photo of how your mod that you just visualized, looks within your case (fridge).

For example, the last photo with your motherboard, it would help see how well you worked it out by taking another photo a few steps away so that we can appreciate how it came out within the opening you chose.

As with all "object mods" (did you read the "Mod Triad"?) the location of the components is the most important part of the project because it will not only influence if you will have a functional computer but how ingeniously you managed to cram (stuff literally due to the small, irregular spaces available) all of your parts.

Cheers

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks a lot for the hands up no i didn't read the Mod trial.

That picture of the main board is there only for Imagination purposes only.

Currently the problem i am facing is sealing off the fridge.

Here is the point As i am going to submerge the main components into Oil.that is why i was looking at the Position

I need to see how i am gonna make everything fixed in the small fridge plus the whole issue of the hard drives in the door it's self.

You are going to do what? Submerge in dielectric oil? Boy, you have definitely got guts, but like I say, No Guts, No Glory! Go for it cuz you would be one of a handful of jocks who have tried it. Now I see what you mean about sealing, but that would imply stripping out the door seals & replacing it with something more permanent (silicon or a mechanical seal). If you don't plan on doing frequent upgrades, ok cuz I don't see any easy way for access to your motherboard.

I suspect you are going to have dedicate week day time (more probably) to finish on time, unless you've already done something like this. It's like I say, "so far away (close date), yet so close".

Cheers

You got me right my friend that is my aim of having the main components submerged in Oil. and yes the problems are of sealing right.and i am trying to find a reasonable way so i can upgrade if needed.

And yes i have a target date which is 31 august so in case something goes wrong i have 19 days to fix it.

we will see how it goes.

Even if it is oil, it still has to be cooled by circulation and a radiator. Got an idea how you are going to accomplish this? Can you use CM components even if they are for water? Oil is much denser that H2O, will the pump hold up?

Wow, You opened up a lot of questions. Will be keeping an eye out to see what you think of. By the way, you got a CM heatsink w/fan, where are you going to use it?

Cheers,

loads loads of questions my friend with one single answer. i am going to use CM component5s just because the rules state so. and i don't need to cool oil as you said oil is denser therefore it will take more time to get hot. The heat sink will be there to help more flow pass thought the heat sink those dissipating heat at a faster rate besides. i am thinking of a cooler as a side idea but for now i am just keeping it as a side idea natural convection should be enough for the current setup. if i increase more then i will see the temps in the setup but for now my aim is to keep everything stable .

Well, you have got me there with the natural convection. I am no engineer (altho I took 2 years of chemical engineering which were a waste) & my thermodynamics are very rusty as well as flow rates, etc. I think I will wait for you to get ahead on your project so that I can more fully appreciate what you are trying to do. Very interesting.

Cheers

Hi to all here i am back from my trip.

Here i am continuing on the project and i went to buy the other components and this is while i was testing.

01082009360.jpg

Here is anther picture of the fans in the dark.

01082009361.jpg

As soon as i went to the caller where i am working on this project. I have realized that i had a flow in the low end part where the cd drive is concerned this would have been the cable management here is a picture.

03082009364.jpg

I will be working on this issue to make sure it works fine.

also i am working on the issue of oil leaks which might happen from the sides.

03082009371.jpg

will continue.

Archived