Project: Ares Flow (2009 Modding Contest Entry)

Kahij

This is an entry for the CoolerMaster 2009 Modding Contest. This is a custom case entry.

The Components that I will be using in this build is:

Evga E760 Classified Motherboard

3x XFX GTX 260 Core 216

Intel Core i7 965 Extreme

Corsair 12GB 1600 mhz DDR3 triple channel kit

Falcon 64GB SSD

Koolance erm-2k3u Liquid cooling system

From Cooler Master:

Ultimate PSU 1100 Watt

4x Cooler Master R4 (Blue) Led 120mm fans.

This case has been designed and build by me.

I hope you all enjoy.

Here is the skeletal design of the case. I used Google SketchUp for the design.

I will be using 3/4" Extruded Acrylic tubing for the frame and a combination of 1/8" and 1/4" thick sheeting for everything else.

AresFlowFront.png

AresFlowSide.png

The work area.

IMG_2668.jpg

The bottom frame.

IMG_2670.jpg

Starting the Glue. I will be using WeldOn #16 to bond the acrylic and I will also be using 90 degree corner braces to give the structure strength.

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2672.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2678.jpg

IMG_2679.jpg

IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

Adding the upright supports of the bottom rack.

IMG_2689.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

This bottom rack is where the Koolance cooling system will sit.

IMG_2749.jpg

That is all I have for now. Waiting on the rest of my acrylic to arrive should get here tuseday. Untill then I hope you all enojoy the post!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extruded acrylic tubing! I have yet to see it on a retail level here in Mexico, much less here in Cancun. If I could get hold of it, I could've done a couple of mods with it myself. It is pretty daring to use it for your entire inside of your case. Where are you from, by the way, you didn't fill out your profile too much-you can add to it by editing.

Have an idea what it will look like outside? Will see what you come up with! Should be pretty exciting.

Cheers,

Yeah I get the tubing from http://www.usplastics.com along with the rest of my arcylic. I do have a very good idea what the rest of the case will look like, but I am going to keep it a secret!

The tubing is extremely strong!!!! will hold most of my weight (225lbs) on the braced sections.

I got the rest of my tubing along with my mobo tray and some other needed accessories today, so I will be working hard from here on out. Should have updates about every day or so.

Well folks I finally got most of my acrylic in today. I spent all the time that I wasnt shooting my new Glock .45 in the shop (garage) working on this!

I hope you enjoy!

The sheets of acrylic.

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg

To cut the sheets of Acrylic I used a scoring tool and then just broke the acrylic at the scored line. It makes a real clean cut.

IMG_2756.jpg

IMG_2757.jpg

IMG_2758.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

The acrylic mobo tray.

IMG_2760.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2762.jpg

Drilling holes in the aftermarket mobo tray so that I can attach it to the acrylic mobo tray.

IMG_2765.jpg

IMG_2767.jpg

Attaching the aftermarket tray to the acrylic one. Checking to see if everything fits.

IMG_2769.jpg

Drilling the countersinks for the screws.

[image]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/Dayem/Ares%20Flow%20%20build%20log/IMG_2770.jpg[/img]

A little test in bending acrylic with a little extra piece that I had left over.

The way that I did this, is by heating it with a simple blow torch and just bending it over a 90 degree angle.

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

Starting the cuts for the very bottom tray.

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

That is all that I have for the time being, believe it or not this took quite a while. I hope you enjoy more to come tomorrow.

Yes, I "cheated" too with the mobo base/tray because I could not figure out how to make a workable video card bracket (acrylic, fiberglass, metal?), anyway, who makes a mod for use with integrated graphics? You just gave me a couple of ideas how to better attach my mobo tray, thanks!

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Well another small update for ya, I am not sure if I will be able to get in the garage again today, I plan to but in case I cant I am uploading what I have. Hope you enjoy.

I finished the rest of the bottom tray. This is the tray that the Koolance Rad/pump/res assembly will rest on.

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2785.jpg

Now I am getting the second level tray on. Here I will be housing all drives and PSU's.

I think I am going to have to cut this plate in half also so that If i need to get below it I can get it out from under the mobo tray.

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

A taste of what it would look like with all of the trays on.

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

I will be painting the frame black when I get it finished. Still waiting on some extruded rod the USplastics owes me.

More to come soon!

So I lied turns out I had more time today than I thought I did So here is the rest of what I managed to do today. This might be the last update untill next week.

The rest of the frame cut out so that I can finish the top of the case. This thing is going to be HUGE!!! But I love it!!!

IMG_2792.jpg

Attaching the last pieces to the frame.

IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg

Almost ready for paint!!!

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

Mock up of what it will look like with the paneling that I have cut.

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

Enjoy and let me know what you guys think!!!

Well, I think it is formidable but that's because I like to use acrylic (especially bending the heck out of it with my heat gun) but always screwed/glued to a metal framework, but now, with your tutorial (yup, some worklogs are almost tutorials), if I can find the darn tubes, I have got another choice. Kudos!

Cheers & waiting to learn more from you. :D

Archived