2009 MOD CONTEST - |BLACK/CHAMBER|^Cu (Copper)

TonyStarks

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HELLO EVERYONE!! Just a REALLLLY short update tonite. I'm too tired to deal with anymore images tonite. Here's just a few images of the fabrication of the side panel with the window. As I've mentioned before, I had already cut the panel before I decide to watercool so in these pictures, I'm starting the new cuts for the new design.

041sf.jpg

042tw.jpg

So, here is where I started the cuts on the new design for the "watercooled version" of my side panel. I had a different window opening and a spot for a large side fan cut before when I planned to aircool. So, for the new design I'm completely cutting all of that out to accommodate a larger window.

043ac.jpg

044fg.jpg

Next, part of my new design is to have dual layers of the ATCS 840 black aluminum. You'll see what I mean tomorrow when I post pictures of the final product. To accomplish this, I am using the side panel of a black Cosmos case that I ordered. I actually ordered a few so I could use the metal for various applications as it is exactly the same anodized black brushed aluminum as is used on the ATCS 840. So, in the above couple of pictures are the cuts on the in interior layer of my panel.

045xo.jpg

I hope this picture helps make more sense of what I'm doing with the side panel. On the left side is the cut cosmos side panel and on the right is the new design ATCS 840 panel. They with both be combined in two layers that looks really nice; you'll see :mrgreen:

046dn.jpg

047ov.jpg

Here we have both layers pressed together into one panel. The window, of course, will be where the hole is. You'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what this looks like with the masking tape removed, window installed, and the customer copper plated screws in place!

So, I'll try to do many more pictures tomorrow and the next day. I've got a lot of stuff to put up but I haven't had time. I'll have some pictures of a bunch of parts that I copper plated with a handy kit from Caswell. I'm plating a few more pieces right now as well. I'm also almost done with the big copper top panel that I'm building that will sit on top of the case. I just need sand and buff it to a nice copper shine.

Thanks, again, guys for all of the positive comments; it's really much appreciated. More soon . . .

Cheers!!

S.

Beside your mod, I like the wine rack! Ahhh..., I know drinking and modding don't mix, heheh. Like sunny says, it looks like you have a good part of your retirement fund in tools! No arguments from me, always a sound investment, not flighty like stocks for sure!

Cheers and Saludos

Good evening everyone . . or I guess I should say good morning! I'm making a small update . . much smaller than I had wanted to. I keep finishing up working on my rig way too late to make the large update I have been meaning to make.

But here's a few pictures of me doing some copper plating. I'm plating a bunch of screws as well as a few other parts. Since copper is part of my color scheme, these parts will accent the black color that is the majority of the case. I used to not really find copper interesting, but as I've been working on this project, I'm loving copper more and more. It really is a beautiful metal.

048ce.jpg

In the jar is some Flash Copper electroplating solution. I wire several parts together with some copper wire to do more at once and to avoid burning the copper plate. I will plate other, larger parts in a different container.

049ko.jpg

Just a pic of the screws hooked up to electricity. Negative attaches to what's being plated and the positive is attached to a piece of copper (anode).

050an.jpg

051jt.jpg

You know that it's plating when you see small bubbles forming on the screws and rising to the surface. It's really pretty easy; just need to be sure to have the proper amount of surface area being plated in relation to the amount of current passing through the solution.

I know, small update but hopefully tomorrow I'll post the pictures of the copper plating results; they really look AWESOME! :mrgreen:

I'm also almost finished with the top plate I've made out of copper that will sit on top of the ATCS 840 case where the fan greats are. You'll see . . . Thanks again for all of the kind comments! I'm off to bed . . .

Cheers!

S.

I tried that long ago, the thing is, you can only deposit a incredible small amount on the surface. Were talking about micro thickness. Lot s of materials are a blend of alloys, and every combination reacts different. Still, nice try ! Keep it up ! :cheers:

Archived