SR-2 STACKER - Winner of 2011 Coolermaster Comp

coolmiester

I don't think the black and silver will fit with the final mod but i'll see.

Decided to make a replica motherboard tray out of yellow plexi so i could align all the stand-offs to the motherboard rather than straight into the metal tray itself so if any adjustments needed making i could do it in the plexi rather than the tray itself.

Dropped in a couple of old graphics cards to make sure it was all in the right place and all the measuring and double checking paid off as all 11 stand-offs were in the correct position in the plexi so it was a simple case of just using the plexi as a template laid on the actual motherboard tray to drill the holes for real and jobs a gud'n apart from a bit of patchwork needed around the back panel.

Also couldn't resist a couple of block shots with the Bitspower fittings 8)

tray_1.jpg

tray_2.jpg

tray_3.jpg

tray_4.jpg

tray_5.jpg

tray_6.jpg

tray_7.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It fits \o/

The new motherboard tray is 365 x 395mm as appose to the original at 335 x 350mm so for the tray to still remains functional and still removable i had to adjust the rails in the case slightly.

Was a pretty easy fix by simply adjusting the height of the top rail with a bit of cutting and a new little bracket riveted in which all looks a little rough at present but should be fine once its all stripped down and powder coated but all in all i’m happy with the fit.

tray_8.jpg

tray_9.jpg

tray_10.jpg

tray_11.jpg

tray_12.jpg

tray_14.jpg

tray_15.jpg

tray_16.jpg

• 2 months later...

I got to give a BIG shout out to Crucial UK who came good with a couple of 6GB kits of RAM. It wasn't my first choice kit but given the current economy, i'm more than grateful for them getting involved in the first place so thanks Crucial.

Still not sure on SSD's yet but still a little while to go before i'll be needing those.

Anyway, got all 12GB added to the MIP's RAM Freezers and hopefully should get a bit of proper case mods done over the holidays but i've been a little worried to ChainSaw any further until i decide on reservoirs.

crucial_1.jpg

crucial_2.jpg

crucial_3.jpg

crucial_4.jpg

Carbon Black Bitspower fittings :thumb:

crucial_5.jpg

crucial_6.jpg

Well, time to make a whole new top cover for the rad box as i won’t be needing the power/reset button and just wanted something that looked a bit different as i’ve never really been to keen on the look of the standard 840 fan grills.

Got one large piece of 7mm alu which will cover the entire top – all i got to do is round off the front to mimic the original, then cut the vent in and finally chamfer the edges.

Lets see if my little B&D jigsaw can cope with 7mm alu

top_bezel_1.jpg

top_bezel_2.jpg

top_bezel_3.jpg

top_bezel_4.jpg

top_bezel_5.jpg

top_bezel_6.jpg

top_bezel_7.jpg

top_bezel_8.jpg

Still got to draw file all edges and put the 45 degree angle on there but time and cold beat me today :(

Well after humming and harring about which pump/reservoirs i was going to use, the final decision came down to what would actually fit.

Due to the placement of the bottom two 240 radiators i'm going to lose at least one drive bay, probably two and given i'm going to be running three loops it came down to a couple of RP-450X2's.

I got to say my initial impression of these is nice but those logo's just had to go so set about making them fit in with the rest of the mod.

I had to ditch the original bezels and black M3 hex bolts and replace them with slightly shorter countersink ones so once the plexi had been countersunk, the heads would be flush to allow my new hand cut bezels to mount directly to the plexi.

The last couple of mock-up shots show how they fit in with a wide screen TFT just below - obviously they will be powder coated and painted in the not to distant future :hip:

front_bezel_2.jpg

front_bezel_3.jpg

front_bezel_4.jpg

front_bezel_5.jpg

front_bezel_6.jpg

front_bezel_7.jpg

front_bezel_8.jpg

front_bezel_9.jpg

front_bezel_10.jpg

front_bezel_11.jpg

Cheers nick 8)

Got the side panels cut down to size for the rad box and then went about fitting four flush mount vents using the mesh out of Bitspower rad grills and used the actual grill as the template to hand cut the four openings pretty much as i did a while back on a Corsair 800D mod which gives that kinnda simple but effective kind of look and should look good with the red LED fans behind.

Just got to do the other side now and then two in each side of the main case but i think i'll concentrate on getting the rad box finished before moving onto the main chassis :)

top_bezel_9.jpg

top_bezel_10.jpg

top_bezel_11.jpg

top_bezel_12.jpg

top_bezel_14.jpg

top_bezel_15.jpg

top_bezel_16.jpg

top_bezel_17.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well i just turned the standard 6 drive bays into 4 to allow the two radiators to mount below in a separate little rad box.

Sounds easy..........well it was really but i had to be double sure of all measurements while cutting down the original drive cage and also while folding the new rad box as 1mm out and it would throw the entire chassis out but luckily my measuring skills didn't let me down and everything lines up perfect and square 8)

I'm trying to get everything finished so i can go about stripping it all down and getting it to powder coat by Monday or Tuesday.

rad_box_1.jpg

rad_box_2.jpg

rad_box_3.jpg

rad_box_4.jpg

rad_box_5.jpg

rad_box_6.jpg

rad_box_7.jpg

rad_box_8.jpg

rad_box_9.jpg

Still a canny way to go but i just thought i’d show you this nice neat little hose routing from top to bottom of the chassis which turned out pretty good and a few other random shots of where things are at the end of the day :)

Got all the chassis back from powder coaters at lunch time today in totally flawless Carbon Black to match the Carbon Bitspower fittings and set about getting it built back up which is the bit i like best seeing it all come together.

Anyway, my life is currently on hold until i get this complete as it starts its journey to Germany for CeBit on the 22nd so best get my skates on :shock:

bp_carbon_1.jpg

bp_carbon_2.jpg

bp_carbon_3.jpg

bp_carbon_4.jpg

bp_carbon_5.jpg

bp_carbon_6.jpg

bp_carbon_7.jpg

bp_carbon_8.jpg

bp_carbon_9.jpg

bp_carbon_10.jpg

Archived