Lenovo Sensei - Final Pics

Boddaker

I picked up my fins from Pacific Waterjet & Laser last week, and spent the entire weekend on them. They needed a lot of cleanup work around the edges.

Fins1_sm.jpg

But before cleaning them up, I tested out the spacing.

Fins2_sm.jpg

A shot from the back.

Fins3_sm.jpg

Close up of the rear mounting. You can see how rough the edges are.

Fins4_sm.jpg

Time to work on lettering. The words "Lenovo" and "Sensei" will be mounted in the middle of the fins, one on each side.

Lettering1_sm.jpg

Taking the two middle fins, I cut them straight across, and made a sandwich with a piece of acrylic in the middle, leaving just a tiny bit of overhang.

Lettering2_sm.jpg

After spacing the letters out, I glued them on, one at a time.

Lettering5_sm.jpg

Done.

Lettering3_sm.jpg

Fast forward past all the sanding and edge cleanup of the fins, and we have a mockup of the lettering in place. Because of the "L" I had to notch the next fin up as well.

Lettering6_sm.jpg

The teaser shot I used earlier.

Lettering7_sm.jpg

Skip past more sanding and polishing, and here's a shot of the first set of fins mounted in the base.

Fins5_sm.jpg

Fins6_sm.jpg

Fins7_sm.jpg

Repeat as necessary for the other side, and we have both sets in place.

Fins8_sm.jpg

The lettering could be lit up with a few led's, but I'm afraid I won't have time to do it before the show.

Getting really close to painting the base now! Gotta do some minor adjustments and body filling first.

Cheers!

The last little bits are falling into place. :D

Had to supplement the A700's exhaust venting, since my new base pretty much enclosed the factory outlet. Here's how it originally exited the unit. The back cover had a matching opening over the black grill area. But now the hot air would just be blowing into the base.

Exhaust1_sm.jpg

So an air duct would have to be made to direct the hot air towards the fins and out. So I mocked it up with some construction paper and transferred its shape to some roof flashing and cut it out.

Exhaust2_sm.jpg

Then I marked the folds and bent them down using spare box tubing and my vise. A block of wood was used to put even pressure over the bending area.

Exhaust3_sm.jpg

The box tubing provided a nice sharp, straight edge over which to bend.

Exhaust4_sm.jpg

Top half is done.

Exhaust5_sm.jpg

Added a bottom to it and riveted them together.

Exhaust6_sm.jpg

Finished piece.

Exhaust7_sm.jpg

Finished piece fastened to the A700.

Exhaust8_sm.jpg

This, in addition to a separate heat shield I'm making to go over the projector, should help keep the temps at an acceptable level inside the base.

So how does one paint something in 40º wet rainy weather and no paint booth? Answer: hang some plastic sheeting around a space heater and a heat lamp!

Paint1_sm.jpg

Here's the base taped off and hanging, ready to prime.

Paint2_sm.jpg

After a couple coats of black primer.

Paint3_sm.jpg

Shooting the gloss coat after wet-sanding with 400 grit.

Paint4_sm.jpg

While that was drying, I turned my attention towards the heat shield. Got it cut, bent, and edges filed so I could test it for fit once the base was dry.

HS1_sm.jpg

Got the base mounted to the A700 this morning and did a smoke test.

Smoketest1_sm.jpg

An iris-downed shot of the projected image. It's a bit blurry because the Sensei is sitting too close to the wall and it won't focus that close. Also, the date's wrong (should be today).

Smoketest2_sm.jpg

I'll post up final pics later today. 'til then!

Brought Sensei in to the conference room at my work place to take final shots. Enjoy!

Final1_sm.jpg

Final2_sm.jpg

Final3_sm.jpg

Final4_sm.jpg

Final5_sm.jpg

Final6_sm.jpg

Final7_sm.jpg

Final8_sm.jpg

Final9_sm.jpg

Final10_sm.jpg

Final11_sm.jpg

I'd like to thank everyone who helped me throughout this project: Moddersmart, Crucial, Pacific Waterjet, and especially to Lenovo for having the contest and providing me with one of their cool products to mod!

Archived