Usonian

Jeffrey Stephenson

Usonian is a custom computer enclosure inspired by the designs of Frank Lloyd Wright. It is handcrafted from teak, mahogany and basswood. Frank Lloyd Wright’s work is known as much for his signature colors as for his distinctive designs; the case features his favorite, Cherokee Red, as well as the Covered Wagon that he chose for Falling Water’s cantilevered balconies. Both colors were custom mixed using the original paint codes from the Thirties. Specific details of the project's influences are shown in photos at the bottom of this post. Thanks for looking!

211.jpg

208.jpg

209.jpg

210.jpg

Specs:

Coolermaster 690 II Advanced computer case

Intel Core i7-875K (Unlocked)

Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 Mini-ITX motherboard

Scythe Shuriken Rev. B HSF

8GB Crucial DDR1333 system memory

ATI 5750 1GB Low-profile video card

256GB Crucial C300 SSD

Silverstone 500W Modular PSU

2TB Seagate 3.5" hard drive

2 x 140mm and 2 x 120mm case fans

(Small computer components were used to maximize the space inside the enclosure and to minimize their distraction from the overall design)

212.jpg

213.jpg

202.jpg

194.jpg

196.jpg

198.jpg

199.jpg

200.jpg

201.jpg

203.jpg

206.jpg

225.JPG

057.jpg

Irving House - 1909

217.jpg

224.jpg

Coonley Playhouse - 1912

218.JPG

148.jpg

Balloons and Confetti art glass, Coonley Playhouse - 1912

219.JPG

222.jpg

Bachman-Wilson House - 1954

220.JPG

223.jpg

Robie House - 1908

221.jpg

Kaufmann House aka Fallingwater - 1935

228.jpg

Bachman-Wilson House - 1954

Usonian on Engadget

Usonian on Engadget en Espanol

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CM690 II Advanced....001.JPG

Howdy Jeffrey,

Hope to see something smashing like Mission, 2009's category winner. Will be seeing your log progress and see what else I can learn from you, hehe. Always so interesting and revealing.

Cheers and Saludos

Hola Mike. New contest new username? lol I'm not sure I'll be doing this contest. Good luck. I know you will do well.

Yes, sort of a new nick but I could not sign in with my old one so I had to re-register. I had to change everything a little so it wouldn't report that something was "in use"....go figure. Sharp eye and great memory BTW, hehe.

Not participate? Any of your "Levels" would give anything a run for their money in the scratches altho I know you would prefer to start something with a CM case, being a sort of stickler for "doing the right thing" which sort of affects me too. It would be sad if you didn't give it a shot since this event appears to be only every other year. It pains me to say this but the one that will be in doubt is me for this year, I have a long term visit which means no modding (rather serious stuff) while she is here. I'll tell you later.

Atleast I would like to cheer on one of the greats.

They probably banned you for being long-winded. LOL I hope you join in because you made the 2009 contest fun for everyone.

I don't mind competing against professionals and people with deep pockets. It is suppose to be about having fun and I get that but I have a big issue with having to compete against Cooler Master sponsored modders and projects. My qualifying case for this competition was bought and paid for by me. It wasn't given to me by Cooler Master. If I end up continuing in this contest I might just incorporate my bill of sale in the design. :lol: Cheers.

They probably banned you for being long-winded. LOL I hope you join in because you made the 2009 contest fun for everyone.

I don't mind competing against professionals and people with deep pockets. It is suppose to be about having fun and I get that but I have a big issue with having to compete against Cooler Master sponsored modders and projects. My qualifying case for this competition was bought and paid for by me. It wasn't given to me by Cooler Master. If I end up continuing in this contest I might just incorporate my bill of sale in the design. :lol: Cheers.

If someone enters this contest with a coolermaster-sponsored rig, would that not be considered favoritism? Regardless, I'm with you. I intend on entering, and I will be purchasing a suitable CM product (I just don't know what yet lol). Looking forward to another fun competition with you! However, I don't think I'll be shipping anything to anyone afterwards this time. :wink:

If someone enters this contest with a coolermaster-sponsored rig, would that not be considered favoritism? Regardless, I'm with you. I intend on entering, and I will be purchasing a suitable CM product (I just don't know what yet lol). Looking forward to another fun competition with you! However, I don't think I'll be shipping anything to anyone afterwards this time. :wink:

You should buy a HAF. I don't think there will be enough of them represented here. :lol: [/sarcasm] Good to know you are in this Brian. Maybe I'll stick around just to annoy you.

You should buy a HAF. I don't think there will be enough of them represented here. :lol: [/sarcasm] Good to know you are in this Brian. Maybe I'll stick around just to annoy you.

Haha, no I will be doing a scratch build for this contest. Looking forward to your annoyingly good humor and support. :)

Archived